Dues question

I'm a Tiger cub den leader. Thus far I haven't collected any dues at meetings. The parents who have led den activities relating to attaining the tiger cub rank have paid for and provided their own supplies. On the last outdoors section for the coming den meeting I'm going to have the boys make scout hiking staffs. I've purchased 9 birch sticks and various supplies to do so to the cost of $60. This is a chunk of change to me. I don't think the other parents spent anywhere near this amount. Is it ok for me to send a note out I'll be collecting dues to split this cost? For some reason I feel uncomfortable asking for money. Thanks.

When the boys decided to use walking staves as part of their uniform, they settled on one style and I priced it out at the local hardware store. It came to $6 which I told the boys upfront. They said they wanted to do that and so I went, got them, put them together and gave them out to the boys when they showed up with $6.

No surprises to anyone, everything was done upfront and then they could make their decision.

Stosh

I think if done "up front" as jablake mentions it's ok...... but I don't think it's so good to spend the money up front.

Our pack collects pack dues at the start of the year, and then the den leaders can submit receipts for re-imbursements....

Well, the dues go mostly for awards, t-shirts, etc... and the fundraising money chips into that for misc expenses.....

anyway, my point is have a conversation with your committee chair or cub master.

$60 for a Tiger den expense for one meeting sounds a bit excessive to me, especially for a project that doesn't specifically meet a certain requirement to earn their Tiger Cub badge. That's the type of expense I would expect to see for a wood-working project at the Bear or Webelos level where it is a requirement. I'd eat the cost and learn from the mistake and find out from your CC if den expenses are reimbursable and what your budget is for the year.

Thanks for the replies. The den meeting was last night. I did contact the pack leader and he told me it would be fine. He had previously told me I should be collecting dues at den meetings which I never did before. The staffs were Birch dowels I bought at Home Depot and really nice quality. We had a nice ceremony with an oath taken by the scouts to reinforce the importance of the staff and the privilege they have entrusted to them to have it. We also touched on it would be taken from them if they did not act responsibly with it. I instructed the scouts with their parents on how to tie a unique rope grip to the staff and I drilled several holes at the top so they added additional ropes with beads. I also brought different color tape to include tiger cub orange so they could add stripes. I've never seen the parents so engaged and interested in a den meeting to date. The scouts and parents were THRILLED with the activity. I substituted this for the usual leaf rubbing which is done in the Get Outdoors section of the tiger cub rank achievement. Btw, I learned Lord Baden-Powell's 1st drawing of a scout depicted him with a staff in hand and he strongly suggested all scouts should have one. Definitely a home run.

I would be interested in this. Scout staff usta be a standard piece of uniform. Useful. Tent pole, signal flag pole, take three and make a tripod for some use, game piece, totem/award hanger, prop to rest on , lots of uses.

How big are these Tiger Cub staffs? A Boy Scout one would be 2 meters long, at least. I used one for my recent Camino hike, and received one as an award at the NatJam.

My former troop had 6' closet rods with the traditional hook in the end. The boys could decorate them any way they wanted. The PL carried the patrol flag on his staff. Most of the boys followed the suggestions of the early BSA literature for measurements and other useful uses.

Stosh

The staffs came in 6' lengths and I cut them down to 5'. They are either 1" or 3/4" in diameter, I don't recall right now. Birch is a good option as it's a hardwood and strong but not as heavy or expensive as some other hardwoods. I sprayed a light clear coat on them to pull out the wood grain and rubbed them down with baby powder when dry to remove any tackiness. I drilled the top holes, three, using a small bit for a pilot hole and then a larger bit after to avoid splitting the wood. I highly recommend doing the following hand grip wrap with para cord or similar rope. I also suggest you leave an extra 6 or so inches at each tag end. You can tie these two ends together which acts as a hand tether. I cut approximately 10' 16" of rope to make each hand grip. The rope can be removed and used in a variety of ways. They are 7 year old's so I bought some stickers they could put on if they wished and to my amazement, and joy frankly, none of them wanted to mess up the look of their staff with silly stickers. I almost went with sticks found in the woods but I like these dowels much better.

Fyi, here's the ceremony and oath I presented to and had the scouts recite when they received their staffs.

Scout Hiking Staff Ceremony

Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting, spoke at great length of the need for a Scout to have a basis of strength and support as he goes on a journey. In his first drawing of a Scout, it showed a boy with a staff in his hand. The hiking staff has long been a symbol of a journey. By trusting in the strength, support and guidance of the staff, you are much more likely to have a safer journey. Always looking for ways to tie scouting to duty, country and faith, Lord Baden-Powell said the hiking staff should be like your faith in your parents and God. Always there to support you when you are about to slip or fall, always there just when you need it. And so I present this staff to you today in recognition for your hard work during your 1st year as a scout. This staff is unfinished, it represents endless possibilities or opportunities. Finish it and decorate it as you like with your parents.

Denners, line up the scouts~

Denners hand out the staffs~

Tiger Cubs, with your staff in hand, repeat after me the scout Hiking Staff Pledge:

I, [state your name], promise to use my Staff,

In a safe and responsible manner.

I promise to never hit,

Another scout, plant, or animal.

Should I forget these rules,

And abuse this staff,

And the trust that has been place in me,

I will lose this staff,