Cub Resident Camp

I'm sorry to post again with another topic ….

There is a possibility of another Resident Camp in our Council (slight). Currently there is one summer Resident Camp offered for our Cub Scouts in the Council and it is about a 10hr drive from us (longer for others). There is the possibility of starting another one closer to our location (this would encompass 2 of the 5 Districts in our Council), but this needs to be at little/ no cost to our Council due to recent budget cuts.

Since this will benefit me, my sons, and my Cub Scouts, I'm VERY interested in this possibility. Day camp has been discussed, but in our District there is about 1- 1 1/2 hour drive between Packs, so Day Camp would be difficult.

I guess what I am looking for are ideas for theme, program activities, budget estimate (especially for program), staff (we're looking at no more than 100 persons total including staff, Cubs, and leaders/ adults), and what other areas may charge for participation (from Scouts and adults) to provide plan/ estimate to our Council Camping Committee. What do people think of Resident Family Camp?? Looking at 4 1/2 -5 1/2 days of program available to Scouts Wolf through Webelos.

I have already asked Council for historic numbers, but would like input from other persons/ places. The challenge is there is historically a VERY low showing for Resident Camp, so it would be nice to offer something special and intriguing for these Cub Scouts and family (program!!!!). Any help and ideas for developing this opportunity would be great. Thank you!!!!

Don't apologize for posting new topics. If it weren't for you we'd be stuck dickering over movies! 10 hours in a car is definitely too rough on boys, and resident camp is fun. So it makes sense getting one started. But, you are starting very late for this summer. Parents should be receiving a "save the date" notice about NOW! Unless you have core staff already lined up, you should target for 2015 if turnout really means something. So consider this year a pilot program where 20 cubs attending would be a reasonable goal.

I'm sorry to post again with another topic ….

There is a possibility of another Resident Camp in our Council (slight). Currently there is one summer Resident Camp offered for our Cub Scouts in the Council and it is about a 10hr drive from us (longer for others). There is the possibility of starting another one closer to our location (this would encompass 2 of the 5 Districts in our Council), but this needs to be at little/ no cost to our Council due to recent budget cuts.

Since this will benefit me, my sons, and my Cub Scouts, I'm VERY interested in this possibility. Day camp has been discussed, but in our District there is about 1- 1 1/2 hour drive between Packs, so Day Camp would be difficult.

I guess what I am looking for are ideas for theme, program activities, budget estimate (especially for program), staff (we're looking at no more than 100 persons total including staff, Cubs, and leaders/ adults), and what other areas may charge for participation (from Scouts and adults) to provide plan/ estimate to our Council Camping Committee. What do people think of Resident Family Camp?? Looking at 4 1/2 -5 1/2 days of program available to Scouts Wolf through Webelos.

I have already asked Council for historic numbers, but would like input from other persons/ places. The challenge is there is historically a VERY low showing for Resident Camp, so it would be nice to offer something special and intriguing for these Cub Scouts and family (program!!!!). Any help and ideas for developing this opportunity would be great. Thank you!!!!

I honestly don't know how other councils do resident camp. Ours basically runs the full month of June and we do two sessions per week. First session starts at 1 PM on Sunday and runs thru 10 AM on Wednesday. Second session runs from 1 PM on Wednesday thru 10 AM on Saturday. So our resident camp is a half week which is perfect for Cubs. The attendance varies from session to session, but we have sessions where there are 450 Cubs and family members and we have to run two shifts in the dining hall. Until this year, we have had the same camp director and program director for over 20 years, so we have a very established tradition and reputation. They have both retired and turned the reins over to newer and younger folks. The transition has gone well from what I can tell and attendance shouldn't drop off. A plus is that our resident camp is probably no more than 2 to 2.5 hours from the furthest locations in the council. For distance like your speaking of, if there is a high enough population of Cubs in the far reaches of your council to make it cost effective, the council should be delivering the program to them.