Need fun things to do or make

My plans need to be altered. We were going to do showman this month, but no one came last meeting and since we're going to merge with another pack next month, I see no point in starting a new badge this month. This week will be our last meeting. We're going to make pipe cleaner (borax) crystals. The boys have already earned scientist, but didn't do crystals. I want to make them because they are neat and can be delicately hung on a Christmas tree as ornaments. Other than that, I don't know what to do. I want to do something fun and festive. I have one boy, who needs to finish craftsman (make something not out of wood). I had considered making Christmas gifts. I wanted to make those mom brag lanyards after seeing one at arrow of light and knowing my pins are just hanging out in a drawer, but the instructions I found are a bit too complicated for the boys' sewing skills. (They do have some now- because I taught them.) We could bake cookies or make fudge or something??? I don't know. I'm kinda boring like that and not crafty at all. Please suggest some fun things we might do this last meeting before Christmas, last meeting of the year, and last meeting of 1/3 of the boys. (There are only 3.)

My husband made a felt pouch as a WEB and he still uses it to this very day to carry novels and books in the field. Get a piece of heavy felt, not craft felt, and cut to 10-12 inches by 30ish. Fold into thirds, like a letter going into an envelope. As you are looking at the folded felt, sew the middle flap to the bottom piece with a straight stitch on the two open sides. (Have the boys draw on a line with chalk and a ruler.) Trim the top flap to a point, or a wave, or whatever. I'll try to post a photo later today of my huaband's.

If you have a crafty mom or two, see if they'd be willing to teach the boys how to use a sewing machine. Valuable life skill.

Get some holiday themed duck tape, and make some duck tape wallets. Its a perfect seasonal gift!

We also enjoyed doing the Belt Loop Display Case: http://cubscoutcrafts.com/belt-loop-and-pin-display-case/ I modified it by using 1X2 wood, used wood joiners rather then nails, large rubber bands rather then elastic, and added a hook so it could be hung on the wall. Could count as the wood project or the display project. The boys ran to show them off when we were done (and some of my boys had over 20 belt loops from prior years they couldn't wait to put on it).

christeneka, you do not need to optimize every activity to count as an accomplishment. The main thing is they need to have FUN. They don't always need instruction or to have a finished product, We have had fun activities that were just a lot of games and making a "candy fire". Then eating the candy fire.

I came across a neat project.

Find (in your case 3 old 100% wool sweaters, heavier the better). Toss them into a washing machine and agitate them on the most severe cycle a couple of times. You want them to shrink as much as possible!

Dry out the now super shrunk sweaters. Lay them out flat and pin non-cotton fleece on the front and back. Have the boys put their hands on the sweaters and trace all the way around adding about 3/4" all the way around fingers and thumb. Make sure you leave plenty around the wrists up the arms.

Now take the sweaters and sew along the tracings except for the wrist opening. Cut them out about 1/4" outside the stitching, Roll the wrist opening back about 1/4" and sew a cuff. Turn inside out and you have a super warm fleece lined wool mitten. Slide a leather chopper over the whole thing and you'll have the warmest pair of mittens you'll ever own.

Of course if they ever wear out, just get another old sweater. :)

Then again, if one finds the fleece expensive, they can go with just the wool mittens. The non-cotton fleeces do well to wick away moisture from your hands and keep them warmer/dryer.

The DL can pre-shrink the wool and dry out. The boys can trace and sew. Just pretend the sewing machine is a jig saw, they'll figure it out quickly.

For the Southern boys, you can do the same thing using thinner sweaters and putting double layer of suede INSIDE the sweater. Then when you turn them inside out, you have wool lined suede mittens. In the milder climes, maybe just fleece and suede would make a nice mitten too. Make adjustments to what you think would work best for your situation.

Stosh

Not sure where you live and what the weather is like this time of year for you, but if I had only one meeting left and didn't have any requirements to do, I would use that meeting to do a cool field trip, a hike, or play some fun games. My Webs just did a night hike and they loved it. This time of year is perfect for night hikes because it gets dark so early. If you are stuck indoors, you could do a paper airplane contest or an egg drop contest. Someone mentioned duct tape wallets. You could also do duct tape water bottle holders for the boy who needs to do craftsman, then go on a hike and use the water bottle holders.

One year for a christmas meeting along with doing coffee mugs where you can slide a picture into them (we colored a christmas themed paper and took a picture of the scout). We also made our own hot chocolate (I have a recipe that uses cocoa powder, cremora, sugar and something else, I can find the recipe if you like) Each scout scooped the proper amounts of each ingredient into a bowl, mixed it and filled a mason jar with it. Then we decorated the mason jar with a red ribbon and piece of green cloth and glued on felt snowflakes. Then they gave the jar and cup to someone as a chrsitmas gift. It was one of their favorite meetings of the year. The kids were head to toe with cocoa powder. It was a good time. Also, I'm a guy and I'm not super crafty either. The hot chocolate recipe I got from my boss and the decorating the jar idea I found online. My wife still has the mug and that was 3 years ago I think.

Another recipe idea is to make all the dry ingredients for something like chocolate chip cookies. Then make a 3"-4" cardboard disk. Lay out a brown cloth, put disk on it and then a piece of plastic wrap. Then put the dry ingredients on, put in the rest of the recipe's wet ingredients for them to add later, and directions for baking. Pull up the cloth and tie with a ribbon. Should look like a big chocolate chip. Makes a nice gift for the chocolate chip cookie people.

Stosh

Don't know where you live, but around here, lots of places create model railroads for the holidays. They are called "train gardens" in the Baltimore area. Google it, granddads like to visit'em (if they didn't have a hand in their creation), and reminisce about their old Lionels or American Flyers.. Cubs would love to walk thru and marvel at the miniature stuff. Nice "go see'em" for Tigers, use the visit for one of the Web pins...

We always enjoyed making kites, all kinds and sizes. We also took all the old broken crayons they could find, sorted them into colors and made candles. The right time of year and PWD cars is good too. This time of year we made candle holders that were decorated for Christmas. Right time of day...we also made something to eat - preparation for cooking when they become scouts.

With some help with a jigsaw, it's easy to make key holders. Just a few things I remember offhand.

On a bad-weather day when they had to stay indoors, I'd tire them out by having crab races (in crab soccer position). Makes me tired just thinking about it.