pack management software

We looked into pack management and tracking software 1-1/2 or 2 years ago, but decided to go with our own pack web site, a seperate email group list service, and google calendar.I'm not completely satisfied, so I'm taking another look.

It seems that there are several new options out there....... Scoutbook, Scout Link, and maybe a few more

and I really didn't take good notes for my last search, and they have likely be updated anyway......

So please help me cut to the chase. Anybody out there using these new ones.......

What are you using?

I really don't care all that much about tracking. We've found that it's hard to get data from the boys and parents..... and figure in the end tracking really doesn't matter for cubs anyway.

We really just need a site for posting upcoming events, and showing what we've done (for recruiting, etc...)

​file sharing

photo sharing is good

calendar sharing

email distribution

cubtrails.com

But, I would also say that tracking advancement is also important since it will tell you if a Den Leader isn't doing their job as well as a scout might not be showing up.

Wouldn't the lack of awards from the den at a pack meeting tell you the same thing?

No. Not really.

I used to have that happen from one Den to another. They would ask where their awards were to hand them out. I would reply...did you update Packmaster and let me know you needed them to be bought. They would reply...Oh...yah.

I did have a Wolf Den, now Webelos II that barely got in all the requirements for the Wolf Badge. I ended up firing that DL. He limped everything in. It was my first year as Cubmaster and he is an Eagle. He sold himself on that and how his family was way into it. Suckered in. I got my lesson that year.

So, they could be updating the advancement area and not handing things out because they forgot to buy let the Awards Chair know to buy.

No. Not really.

I used to have that happen from one Den to another. They would ask where their awards were to hand them out. I would reply...did you update Packmaster and let me know you needed them to be bought. They would reply...Oh...yah.

I did have a Wolf Den, now Webelos II that barely got in all the requirements for the Wolf Badge. I ended up firing that DL. He limped everything in. It was my first year as Cubmaster and he is an Eagle. He sold himself on that and how his family was way into it. Suckered in. I got my lesson that year.

So, they could be updating the advancement area and not handing things out because they forgot to buy let the Awards Chair know to buy.

Had a similar experience in my Pack. Eagle Scouts that sign-up as leaders are no guarantee of good performance.
No. Not really.

our eagle leaders are very willing to help when asked, but are very "low energy" for sure.

There sure are a lot of choices, but many of these are never mentioned when this topic comes up. I find that telling.

also a bit disturbing. If there are that many options, that screams that there are a lot of people out there that see a need. Several of these I rarely if ever see mentioned here in discussions with active scouters..... so, how many of these services are about to fold?

Also, there really doesn't seem to be one clear solution that really shines and answers most folks needs or wants.

Personally, I think most of this "conflict" comes from too much focus and getting hung up on award and rank tracking when that just simply doesn't need to be a big deal. Maybe I have that wrong......

Still, I spent a few minutes just now, making a list

I was thinking of making a matrix to eliminate the ones that don't have what I need..... things like file sharing for the committee (things like notes, inventories, meeting minutes), email, photo share, etc...

Anyway, here's what I found in the last few minutes. Am I missing any good ones?

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: white]cubscouttracker.com[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: white]Cubtrails.com[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] denmanager.com

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]myscoutlink.com[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]ourgrouponline.com[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Packmaster[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Scoutbook.com[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]scoutjourney.com[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]scoutlander.com[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]scoutmanage.com[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]scoutmanager.com[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]scouttrack.com[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]shutterfly.com[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]soarol.com[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]trooptrack.com[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

blw2 ... nice list. I also fully agree with what you said. There is too much emphasis on detailed requirement tracking. IMHO, let the scout track it in his book or use the BSA scoutet sign-in. We use scouttrack.com and soarol.com. I love soarol.com because of the great features. ScoutTrack.com is loved by our unit leaders who are very much into painful requirement tracking. but it seems to defeat the intention of scouting and make scouting just more homework.

Anyway, nice list. We've used SOAROL.com for many years now. Life saver.

• 1 month later...
blw2 ... nice list. I also fully agree with what you said. There is too much emphasis on detailed requirement tracking. IMHO, let the scout track it in his book or use the BSA scoutet sign-in. We use scouttrack.com and soarol.com. I love soarol.com because of the great features. ScoutTrack.com is loved by our unit leaders who are very much into painful requirement tracking. but it seems to defeat the intention of scouting and make scouting just more homework.

Anyway, nice list. We've used SOAROL.com for many years now. Life saver.

​What don't you like about scouttrack other than the 1990's interface? As a den leader, I like having an online place to keep track of the status of the boys progress and use it to discuss with parents what still needs to be done. I don't understand the homework part of it? I don't think that I change how I work with the program with my son, den, and pack based on scout track.

I've gotten side tracked, need to get back on this.

still haven't found something that's not cluttered up with award tracking though....

just want something good at

• email serving
  • announcements
  • calendar
  • photo & file sharing