What to do about aol requirements- ceremony next week!

Last month we did all the boring boy scout knowledge stuff at den meeting, but one boy was missing. I intended to redo today, except no one came (other than my kid). Another boy needs to pass off a mental skills activity badge in order to earn aol. He was even given an exception since he's only been a webelos for 5 months. (This is LDS scouts, where he will be a webelos for a year, so we figured it didn't matter a whole lot.)

Oldest boy's mother is scout master. Can she just go over the boy scout stuff with him and pass it off? He has to earn arrow of light this month, since his birthday is early January.

Neither one of the moms respect that the den leader is supposed to pass things off, but I had just gotten the youngest boy's mom to accept it. She emailed just today, saying her son would come prepared to pass off scholar, but he didn't come.

Should I make another den meeting for these boys? Make a personal visit to their homes? Just let moms pass off? Pass it off just before the ceremony? Arrow of light ceremony is next Tuesday night.

I'll assume the kids actually know the material and their moms aren't just pencil whipping the requirements. If the only sticking point is that their moms are doing the signing, don't sweat it. Play this out to the end. You spend the next five days rearranging your life to accommodate them, they keep blowing you off and they still show up to get their AOL. Then what? Are you willing to die on that hill. Life is too short.

I'll assume the kids actually know the material and their moms aren't just pencil whipping the requirements. If the only sticking point is that their moms are doing the signing, don't sweat it. Play this out to the end. You spend the next five days rearranging your life to accommodate them, they keep blowing you off and they still show up to get their AOL. Then what? Are you willing to die on that hill. Life is too short.
Even if they don't actually know the material, this is most likely what will happen.

In Mental Skills, both Traveler and Scholar can be tossed off in less than an hour. Of course, if you do Traveler this way you'll miss the fun of setting up your own compass course, or riding on public transit.

Do what you have to do. If you try 3 times and never meet, it's not your problem any more. You've done your Due Diligence. Doesn't Traveler involve planning and taking a trip with your family? I've counseled Traveler many times. In fact, though I'm a Unit Commsioner and a Scoutmaste, If I'm asked to "help with the WEBLOS" I usualy offer to do Traveler.

None of the boys "have" to earn AOL. They are not - can not - move to Boy Scouts until their 11th birthday, at that point they do not need AOL to join.

The one Webelos who is turning 11 next month is the only one who really needs to complete his AOL requirements immediately - if he wants to earn the award before his crossover to Boy Scouts. Is the Boy Scout info portion the only thing he has left to do? Since his AOL requirements have already been "fudged", I see no reason to believe that they will not continue to be so. Contact his mother, and let her know what he has to complete in order to get his AOL at the Tuesday ceremony. Then it is in their hands to do, or not.

As for the other Webelos, if they have not completed the requirements for AOL there is no need for them to attend Tuesday's AOL ceremony. They still have time to complete their requirements. All you can do is to offer them the opportunity. The rest is up to them.

"
  1. Meet the age requirements. Be a boy who is 11 years old, or one who has completed the fifth grade or earned the Arrow of Light Award and is at least 10 years old, but is not yet 18 years old."

This is an LDS program. There are no 10 year old Boy Scouts. They move levels on their birthday. A Cub becomes a Webelos on his 10th birthday. A Webelos becomes a Boy Scout (11- year old program) on his 11th birthday.
Yes, I realize aol is not required, but parents believe it is.
Again, tell SM Mom what needs to be completed. Given her/his history there should be no problem with everything being signed off by Tuesday.

The rest of the Webelos still have (varying amounts of) time to complete their AOL. However you can only do so much. You can not force them to complete the requirements. Give them all opportunities. Then it is up to them.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have a number of "fudgers", like SM Mom, who will sign off on everything, actually completed or not, just to get their kid his bling. All you can do is your best. Beating your head against this wall will mostly just get you a headache.

Good Luck! When it comes time for your son to move to a Troop, perhaps you can look in other areas to find a good Troop, without these parents.

Apparently oldest boy's family had the stomach bug, so I'm glad he didn't come. Last time he did in this situation, my family came down with it (starting with myself and my son) 2 days later. Other boy's family just forgot about scouts. I guess I'll just meet with them tomorrow to get them passed off.

The latest news for scouts is that we're going to merge all under 12 scouts with a neighboring congregation, that also has a very small program, so small in fact that they only have one 11 year old scout, so my son with be with only one different boy. I was given the contact info for the non-denominational group, but the guy apparently doesn't respond to emails, so I need to remember to call sometime. I hear the troop has a lot of lds boys, who were dissatisfied with their ward's version of scouts. Now sure if I can afford to pay for regular scouts, though. I hear it's really expensive.

I met the oldest boy just before pack meeting tonight. I handed him the rope and asked for a square knot. He was rather flustered. His mom came over and showed him. Gotta love it. He earned his aol, though and so did my son, and the younger boy.

I looked into the traditional troop in town. Their oldest boys are 11. I will ask around to see if there are any other tradition troops in town.