Has anyone heard anything about little girls being allowed to register in a cub pack? Not siblings of cubs along for an activity - but actually getting registered as a Cub Scout. I was at an event this weekend where a mom insisted that its totally ok and allowable to have girls registered in a pack. I heard in the UK they can do this. Wasn't sure about this side of the ocean.

As a dad of two little girls behind my cub scout, I wish that it were true.

.... but I acknowledge it could get sticky. I think somebody would have to spend a lot of time thinking it through first, but off the cuff I can picture separate girl only dens working, under the same pack

My little girls come on most all of the pack outings and many of den outings. They don't come to the den or pack meetings regularly though....

Could not find it now, but about a year back there was a link to an article of one who did it.. I don't think they were registered under cubscouts though, but registered in a BSA program through learning for life.. So I am sure rank advancement really did not count. But, the pack treated them as equal and had them working towards the awards.

So "No" to really truly.. But some people are getting creative to get it as much as they possibly can.

I remember some one on this board posting they allow girls in their pack but I don't think they are registered. BSA is not likely to take such a move anytime soon. It would be viewed as an attack on GSUSA.
It is believed that the BSA and GSUSA have had an unwritten agreement for many years to leave things as they are. Barry
I remember some one on this board posting they allow girls in their pack but I don't think they are registered. BSA is not likely to take such a move anytime soon. It would be viewed as an attack on GSUSA.
We ran a sibling den.....It was better than having the young ladies runnning the hallway.....Gasp, they did stuff out of the same book as their brothers.

They were not members of the BSA, We briefly toyed with the Baden Powell Service Association for their den. Parents were ok with them learning Cub stuff with an interested parent, but paying money to join another scouting organization not so much.

Sadly as the Adults associated with the Pack moved or crossed over we lost any interest in having a program for the girls.

Could not find it now, but about a year back there was a link to an article of one who did it.. I don't think they were registered under cubscouts though, but registered in a BSA program through learning for life.. So I am sure rank advancement really did not count. But, the pack treated them as equal and had them working towards the awards.

So "No" to really truly.. But some people are getting creative to get it as much as they possibly can.

It was a learning for life unit ran by a catholic church and the picture had a latino young lady in a blue shirt with a tiger cub necker.

I was very interested in how it was done. Learning for life is strictly the professionals domain.

Australian, British and New Zealand Scouts, among others, are co-ed. From Kea (Tigers), Cubs, Scouts, Venturers and Rovers.

Takes a lot of testosterone out of the wild play. On the other hand we have to check that girls and boys are in seperate tents, take an appropriate number of female leaders along etc.

I think co-ed is a good idea. BSA is a bit behind the rest of the world, just give it a couple more years.

Australian, British and New Zealand Scouts, among others, are co-ed. From Kea (Tigers), Cubs, Scouts, Venturers and Rovers.

Takes a lot of testosterone out of the wild play. On the other hand we have to check that girls and boys are in seperate tents, take an appropriate number of female leaders along etc.

I think co-ed is a good idea. BSA is a bit behind the rest of the world, just give it a couple more years.

After working with thousands of youth over my lifetime, I'm convinced the BSA is a bit ahead of the rest of the world. And it isn't likely to change anytime soon either because taking members from the GSUSA in America would be another political hornets nest. The GSUSA is very much supported by womens rights organizations.

Eagledad, that's what everyone said would happen in the UK as well, it didn't happen.

The reason is that different types of girls want to be scouts rather than Girl Guides.

Best summed up the time my scouts had a joint wide games night with the Girl Guides who use our HQ. My girls dressed like the boys, walking boots, fleeces and not a hint of pink. The Girl Guides had pink wellies, flowery patterns on their hats and jumpers and had a general air of girlieness. Over 20 years on and girls still make up only 15% of scouts.

I was told in the early 90s that the BSA had an agreement with the GSUSA to not recruit girls into Cubs or Troops or hell would come down on the organization. Now I admit that the American womens rights organizations don't have the power they had then (Clinton), but given the beating they took this year from political correctness, the BSA would be stupid to open that gate. Barry

What beating?? I lost one to the vote, I gained about 8 new people (don't think it was due to the vote, more like people didn't follow any of it.) The guy who left tried to email out to get others to leave with him. No one else left with him, (well ok, we did loose one other from the pack, not BSA they jumped to a new pack, because it was a den of two, then when he left it was a den of one)

Yeah I know the north vs the south.. But, even in the south the number of units who left haven't been bad.. But, I agree.. Let the waters cool a bit.. And we still have the adult homosexual inclusion to go through.. Both future ripples in the pond.