I'm not the Webelos den leader. Our Webelos den leader is new. Our Webelos den has one fifth grader and 8 fourth graders. We are planning to cross over our fifth grader in February. My question is: does he have to earn his arrow of light to cross over in February? If he never earns his arrow of light, does he cross over in May?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

KDD, I agree, also with Basement if I'm reading him correctly. To me it's ok to just get to know the boy well and let him do what is appropriate for him as an individual rather than some pigeon-hole a

How close is he to earning his Arrow of Light? Can it be done by Feb? May?

He can cross over without earning AOL as long as he meets the Boy Scout Joining Requirements (Be a boy who is 11 years old, or one who has completed the fifth grade or earned the Arrow of Light Award and is at least 10 years old, but is not yet 18 years old.)

Just remember, once he becomes a Boy Scout, he can no longer work on Cub Scout Rank requirements, so is earning AOL important to him?

If he never earns it, and wants to continue in Scouting, and meets the Boy Scout Joining requirement age, then he should cross over (Boys who are older than 10, or who have completed the fifth grade, can no longer join Cub Scouting).

Ahh . . . The old cross-over delima.

The person who was CM before me would hold all the boys back until everyone was ready to cross over. That would mean sometimes there would be a cross-over in February; other times not until May.

I favored the policy that a boy could cross-over anytime he has his AOL completed. Some boys crossed over on their own, most waited for their buddies. It was done when the boys were ready and wanted to go. Boys who did not earn the AOL did not get to become boy scouts until they completed the 5th grade.

You’ve only got one boy, so if his AOL is complete and he wants to, you could cross him over now and be done with it. Howeverâ€â€if the AOL is not complete he waits until June.

Ahh . . . The old cross-over delima.

The person who was CM before me would hold all the boys back until everyone was ready to cross over. That would mean sometimes there would be a cross-over in February; other times not until May.

I favored the policy that a boy could cross-over anytime he has his AOL completed. Some boys crossed over on their own, most waited for their buddies. It was done when the boys were ready and wanted to go. Boys who did not earn the AOL did not get to become boy scouts until they completed the 5th grade.

You’ve only got one boy, so if his AOL is complete and he wants to, you could cross him over now and be done with it. Howeverâ€â€if the AOL is not complete he waits until June.

Webs can crossover when ever they are 10.5 and have their arrow of light. be it october or may.....Blue and gold be darned.

Crossover one or two at a time can be a pain in the butt for everyone involved.

First it depends on the amount of ceremony. If the Pack has a bridge and a big ceremony, I think your out of line doing a huge ceremony for one or two boys and then have to do it again the following month for one or two more. NOPE they can wait.

If your expecting a SM and troop to show up for every pack meeting for 6 or 8 months for one boy per trip. Gotta say that is pretty rude and selfish.

Now if you don't involve the Troop and simply hand the lad his patch and send him on his way.....That will work

NAE if your previous CM made the boys wait for the big ceremony, I understand it. If it was a hand shake and pat on the back, well, not so much.

I'm not the Webelos den leader. Our Webelos den leader is new. Our Webelos den has one fifth grader and 8 fourth graders. We are planning to cross over our fifth grader in February. My question is: does he have to earn his arrow of light to cross over in February? If he never earns his arrow of light' date=' does he cross over in May?[/quote']

He needs to be 11yo to cross without his AOL, and 10.5yo to cross with his AOL. Everything else is a matter of the troop accepting his application and tradition within the unit. When will he be 11yo? Has the scout and the Web leader spoken with the troop?

I'm not the Webelos den leader. Our Webelos den leader is new. Our Webelos den has one fifth grader and 8 fourth graders. We are planning to cross over our fifth grader in February. My question is: does he have to earn his arrow of light to cross over in February? If he never earns his arrow of light' date=' does he cross over in May?[/quote']

He needs to be 11yo to cross without his AOL, and 10.5yo to cross with his AOL. Everything else is a matter of the troop accepting his application and tradition within the unit. When will he be 11yo? Has the scout and the Web leader spoken with the troop?

Parent and leader games be damned.

If the boy wants to go he can be a guest of the troop until he is of age.

Seriously what is in the best interest of the lad.

Did the requirement for AOL and 10 yo recently change from being AOL and 10.5?? Or is there something in this rule I am not seeing.. My other thread the AOL & 10.5 yo was sited. From this one I got from ADCinNC the AOL and 10 yo in what looked like a quote of the rule book.. I went to Scouting.org and got the official statement.. Matches what ADCinNC quoted.

Meet the age requirements. Be a boy who is 11 years old, or one who has completed the fifth grade or earned the Arrow of Light Award and is at least 10 years old, but is not yet 18 years old.

So did the rule change, recently.. Too many of you have it in your heads that it's 10 1/2.

updated : AKDenleader is having problems sleeping too I guess. I posted something similar on my other thread related to this joining issue.. They answered that the book has it stated differently.

"Be active in your Web den for at least 6 months since completing the fourth grade (or at least 6 months since becoming 10 years old), and earn the Webelos badge. "
"

Hmmm... so is the scouting.org website wrong, or is this so new a change that the books haven't caught up to the change on the website? Sounds like a clarification by my DE is in order.

Did the requirement for AOL and 10 yo recently change from being AOL and 10.5?? Or is there something in this rule I am not seeing.. My other thread the AOL & 10.5 yo was sited. From this one I got from ADCinNC the AOL and 10 yo in what looked like a quote of the rule book.. I went to Scouting.org and got the official statement.. Matches what ADCinNC quoted.

Meet the age requirements. Be a boy who is 11 years old, or one who has completed the fifth grade or earned the Arrow of Light Award and is at least 10 years old, but is not yet 18 years old.

So did the rule change, recently.. Too many of you have it in your heads that it's 10 1/2.

updated : AKDenleader is having problems sleeping too I guess. I posted something similar on my other thread related to this joining issue.. They answered that the book has it stated differently.

"Be active in your Web den for at least 6 months since completing the fourth grade (or at least 6 months since becoming 10 years old), and earn the Webelos badge. "
"

Hmmm... so is the scouting.org website wrong, or is this so new a change that the books haven't caught up to the change on the website? Sounds like a clarification by my DE is in order.

I'm going to go with people can't figure out when a boy is 10.5 anymore. Ten's too young for full on Boy Scouts. Wasn't the original age 12? Kudu?

"

Nike - normally I would agree with you, but these two scouts have impressed me.. To be honest, I was never a patient person with the very young. I just can't deal with the lack of attention span. These two boys though don't give me that feeling.. They both go at things with total interest, and can stay focused on a single activity for the entire meeting.. One I feel is natural born SPL material, the other one has great potential also but he will happily follow the stronger personality, yet he has lead when he had the greater skill in something and then the one who is the more dominant personality is happy to follow when he senses the other boy has a few things he could learn. There is very little adult supervision needed with them already.

"

I would go with what is on the youth application,

"Your son can be a Scout if he has completed the fifth grade and is at least 10 years old or is age 11 or has earned the Arrow of Light Award and is at least 10 years old, but has not reached age 18."

"

Your confusing an Award requirement verses a Joining requirement for two different organizations.

To Earn the AOL you have to be 10.5

to join Boy Scouts you have to be at least 10 with AOL.

not sure what a money grubbing ghost unit creating professional who doesn't like some DE has to do with the train of thought.. Are you accusing my units of having a ghost unit that a DE created.. Truly we do not, we are just not very healthy at the minute, show promise of things changing, but just trying to hold things together until that wave comes.

Ok, let me through one more thought into the mix.. I am looking at the two.. And seeing that the book requirement is the requirement in order to earn the AOL. The other requirement is the Boy scout joining requirement.. So can I get a boy his AOL before he is 10.5 yo or is 6 months into his 5th grade schooling, unless he started school very very young, or skipped a grade?

I can't get him in at 10 unless he earns the AOL, He can't earn the AOL until he is 10.5 or 6 mths into 5th grade.. It almost makes it seem like the Benefit of earning AOL listed on the Boy Scout application is almost an impossible accomplishment.

"

I used to insist AOL was 10 1/2, but now I am confused. My son was 9 graduating 4th and turned 10 in sept of 5th grade. According to this he could have earned AOL around Dec 1 and would not have been 10 1/2. My old school district cutoff for kindergarten was 5 by oct 15th, some could have it even later I suppose.

Some schools graduate a middle of May so mid Nov. may be possible.

4.1.1.9 of 2013 GTA

The Arrow of Light Award may be completed only while the following four conditions are met: (1) The Webelos Scout has been registered and active for at least six months since completing the fourth grade or since turning 10 years old; (2) he is still registered in a pack or as a Lone Cub Scout; (3) he has not yet joined a troop; and (4) he has either not yet graduated from the fifth grade or has not yet turned 11, whichever is the latter.