Correct pocket knife for Bears?

I need help. My son's den leader has announced on less than a week's notice that the Bears will be doing the whittling chip. I need to buy my son a pocket knife.

Can anyone offer guidance on the correct knife to buy for my 9 year old son who has no whittling experience? I'm hoping to find something I can buy from Amazon that he can safely use as a beginner and hopefully continue to use for a few years. I've read references on the internet to certain types of knives not being allowed by the BSA or various packs, but not much info on what *is* allowed.

My son's den leader has not responded to my question (typical for him), and scouting.org/scoutstuff has no specific guidance that I can find. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Georgia Mom

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A pocket knife is far to small to effectively dispatch a bear. You need long blade to get enough penetration, needs to be robust as the bear will not hold still while you try to skewer vital organs. I

Recently bought my son a "My First Opinel" to give to him once he completes the Bear Claws/Whittling Chip activities this week.  Some of the requirements necessitate a multi-tool or Swiss Army Knife (

Anything that folds neatly and the handle fits tidily in the boy's hand will do. Going to the sporting goods store (or section) is part of the adventure IMHO. In department stores, it's usually just

A pocket knife is far to small to effectively dispatch a bear. You need long blade to get enough penetration, needs to be robust as the bear will not hold still while you try to skewer vital organs. I also like one with a stout lanyard so I don't lose it as easily while fighting the brute.

Here are a couple of knives I might consider.

http://www.sogknives.com/catalog/pro...uaXZlcy5odG1s/

Oh you meant buying one for your bear to use, NOT bear defense.

how about this one

http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsar-offic...ket-knife.html

I have mine from cub scouting, my son has his and said he will keep it to show his son.

• Downvote 2

A lot of people like the Opinel, "my first Opinel" they have some with a rounded tip to reduce the chance for accidents. Personally I think a lock back knife is best because it won't close down on little inexperience fingers. My sons find the scout shop knives difficult to close. The Opinel is About $16 with shipping, scout shop cub knives are about $15-20. I am ordering the Opinel for my bear and suggesting it for the den. It can be engraved also. Might not get it in a week however. http://www.opinel-usa.com/products.asp?cat=MY+FIRST+OPINEL#.UnpaKLK9KK0 I also think the boys should have some experience with soap carvings before hitting to wood. Here are some threads where the issues are discussed. http://www.scouter.com/forum/cub-scouts/18594-pocket-knives-for-cub-scouts Qhttp://www.scouter.com/forum/cub-scouts/389819-whittling-chip-earned-by-wolves-what-do-i-do

Anything that folds neatly and the handle fits tidily in the boy's hand will do. Going to the sporting goods store (or section) is part of the adventure IMHO. In department stores, it's usually just an isle beyond the toy section. Kinda fun watching a boy change his preferred isle as he grows.

• Upvote 1
A lot of people like the Opinel, "my first Opinel" they have some with a rounded tip to reduce the chance for accidents. Personally I think a lock back knife is best because it won't close down on little inexperience fingers. My sons find the scout shop knives difficult to close. The Opinel is About $16 with shipping, scout shop cub knives are about $15-20. I am ordering the Opinel for my bear and suggesting it for the den. It can be engraved also. Might not get it in a week however. http://www.opinel-usa.com/products.asp?cat=MY+FIRST+OPINEL#.UnpaKLK9KK0 I also think the boys should have some experience with soap carvings before hitting to wood. Here are some threads where the issues are discussed. http://www.scouter.com/forum/cub-scouts/18594-pocket-knives-for-cub-scouts Qhttp://www.scouter.com/forum/cub-scouts/389819-whittling-chip-earned-by-wolves-what-do-i-do
Looks like amazon has the Opinel on Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Opinel-Junior-Folding-Knife/dp/B002QQMTJG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383751283&sr=8-1&keywords=opinel+my+first

Just remember the Whittlin chip is optional. My oldest boy did not have good fine motor skills so he was restricted to sharpened Popsicle stick knives and plastic knives carving soap until he was a bit older. My ER deductible was also $500 at that time. :)

Only you know if he is ready to use this tool. Stress to him it is a tool and not a toy.

Anything that folds neatly and the handle fits tidily in the boy's hand will do. Going to the sporting goods store (or section) is part of the adventure IMHO. In department stores, it's usually just an isle beyond the toy section. Kinda fun watching a boy change his preferred isle as he grows.
One more suggestion: ask a relative or neighbor. Sometimes a hand-me-down adds to the mystique. For the longest time when I was in high school and college, I carried my Grandpa's knife. Really lousy blade, truth be told. But every time I pulled it out, I had fond memories of him whittling his cane and thereby driving Mom nuts!
This is true - my father handed down his wood-handled pocket knife with the BSA log on it to me when I was 12, and I handed it on to my son after a good cleanup and sharpening. He doesn't use it as his primary knife when we do whittling or soap carving, but it's his "special occasion" knife.

I ordered an opinel for my son last year, engraved in response to a thread on this forum

He's a bear this year, & I bought it early as a sample, considering ordering for all the boys in the den as a gift. (I gotta get on that! thanks for the reminder!!)

I'm big on made in USA, and not so much a French stuff, but I have to say it's a really good product.

Customer response was great, asked a few questions and they were fast in reply.

We haven't used it yet but it's a really nice low budget knife. Best I've seen for a kid I think

I bought the round tip one. Wanted carbon steel, but the round tip is only available in stainless.

I actually want one for me, too.

Yep, my parents bring my boys to buy their christmas gifts. It was a pivotal year when my oldest decided to go to Academy and Dick's sporting goods rather than Toys-R-Us.

For whittling, one needs a knife with a small handle. He doesn't need a Swiss Army that is big and bulky. I find that even BSA is smart enough to realize this in that they have historically had two knives, the Camp Knife and the Whittler. They are appropriately named. The Whittler does not have the fat blade of the Camp, nor the screwdriver, can opener, bottle opener and awl for leather. Instead the Whittler has 3 blades, one thin, long, one short for fine work and a third small blade with a flat cut. All blades designed for whittling. The newer Whittlers have stainless steel blades which dull quicker than the older carbon steel blades. I have both, and like the older knife because I don't have to 1) sharpen it as often and 2) staying sharp makes it a safer knife. Any carbon steel pocket knife with one long and one short blade should do the trick nicely regardless whether it has a BSA logo or not.

Stosh

I got Opinels for myself and the boys. I have the carbon steel #7 and I love it. Easy to lock, easy to fold, and carbon steel keeps its edge. But Any Opinel will do as they come in a variety of sizes. Just wish we could get the WOSM ones here.