Ideas for Wolf Achievement 4f.

Wolf Achievement 4f states: Visit an important place in your community, such as a historic or government location. Explain why it is important.

Most of the meeting plans I have seen suggest visiting a fire station, but I hate to do that again since we just did that as Tigers. Does anyone else have any good suggestions? We have many historical areas we could visit that show how life was in the 1700s and 1800s, but they have high admission prices and I really think the boys would be quite bored. There is a city park with many hiking trails that has been around for nearly 100 years and has some history attached to it, but the weather may not be super cooperative over the next few months. We would also need to go on a Saturday. I am hesitant to do that since in the next 6 weeks or so we already have 3 Saturdays with Scout events on them, but I am at a loss for what we could do in the evening. Thanks for any suggestions!

There are lots of ideas! I am not sure where you live but remember "government" can be Federal, State, and local plus lots of others:

Federal-we did FBI, Secret Service, and ATF (not fun those last guys).

State-we saw the local Department of Transportation command center with videos of the roads.

Local (City and County)

- Local "dump" and incinerator. Super cool--fires, garbage, 4 story conveyor belt.

Airport-we did several trips to our airport (they had a program in place)

Port-Got a free boat cruise out of them.

Military Base-took a while to clear security but folks were very family friendly and we got to see some hangers, the armory, and a crash fire station.

Transit Authority --Got to visit the "bus barn" and dispatch center and kids got to sit in the drivers seat.

We also visited a local Fireman/Police training academy (many communities have something like that) and saw guys practice rappelling and spraying hoses. Much better than another firehouse visit.

One tip we got was our City partially owned a historic theatre and we got a "ghost tour" of a very groovy 1920's theatre.

Ask other local scout leaders (GSUSA too), teachers, etc for ideas. Also your local government (and local elected leaders) for what might be available. As a public servant myself most of us have or have had kids and want to show off what we do. Many government agencies have a public relations person/liaison who does this stuff all the time.

How about

the Veteran's Memorial Park,

the military section of the cemetery

the grave of a prominent citizen

why is the school named after someone

why is a park named after someone

why is a street named after someone

where were the first buildings in your town, and what's there now.

visit the oldest business in town

who lived in the nice big houses in town and why were they important

what did the cars look like the first year the car dealership was in business

why do houses today look differently than those that are 100 years old.

what about repurposed buildings in town. Why is it called the Depot Pizza Joint? or the Freighthouse Restaurant?

tour an antique shop and find something you don't know what it is and have someone explain it.

where were the city limits100 years ago?

where was the first school, church, built in town

who was the first mayor of your town, where did he live, what did he do for a living

who started the first hospital in town

There are those involved with your local historical society/museum/library that would love to do something for the kids.

Stosh

• Upvote 1
How about

what about repurposed buildings in town. Why is it called the Depot Pizza Joint? or the Freighthouse Restaurant?

tour an antique shop and find something you don't know what it is and have someone explain it.

who was the first mayor of your town, where did he live, what did he do for a living

There are those involved with your local historical society/museum/library that would love to do something for the kids.

Stosh

Oldest family run business in town, hospitals are good too. I agree a lot pf people love to share stuff with Wolf-age kids. And don't forget any factories, bakeries, etc We did a tour of Bern's Steak House in Tampa, toured the kitchen, the meat aging room. the seafood tank, and the enormous wine cellar. (they claim they have the largest wine list of any restaurant in the world). My cousin owns a famous bakery in Hawaii--they love giving tours too.
How about

Stosh

:)

In my local cemetery are veterans from every war fought by the US except the Revolutionary war. War of 1812, Florida Indian Wars, Mexican War, Civil War both federal and confederate, post-CW Indian Wars, Span Am, WW I, WW II, Korea, Vietnam and recent wars. We even have one that is a veteran of the Texan War of Independence. We have a CW general that was also the state governor and founder of General Mills, the commanding officer aboard the Maine when it went down is also buried there. The wife of a war correspondent that perished at Custer's Last Stand is buried there as well. One of the men buried there was sitting in the audience when Lincoln was killed and watched Booth jump to the stage and limp off.

Ronald McDonald is buried there as well as John Lennon. :)

What kid wouldn't want to learn about some of their stories. What is even more interesting is how involved these people were in making the community what it is today. They were involved with the riverboat industry, the lumber industry, farming, city development, hospitals, colleges, business endeavors, etc. etc. Their legacy of who we are is right there in that cemetery.

I had one boy inspect military graves in the cemetery, take pictures of the damaged ones, and then submit to the VA for replacements. 16 stones were replaced. It was a great Eagle Project that got nice picture and press in the local AND statewide newspaper.

Stosh

How about

Stosh

Ronald McDonald??? John Lennon, are you quite certain??
How about

Stosh

That's what the stones say! :)

Stosh

Makes me want to do Cub Scouts again!
I am getting a little jaded. My other DL is a step dad and his son is a Smart Alec and he waits way to long before addressing the behavior. My cub is no peach but if he talked back to me like that he wouldn't see a video screen for a week. The boy does not pull that crap when he is over at my house. :)