Cub Scout & WEBELOS NOVA Award Conversation

I wanted to do a poll to see how other Councils are managing their NOVA programs. I've heard of some councils requiring specialized training, certifications, etc.

Also curious what other leaders are doing when they are teaching the individual and SUPER NOVA awards. Figure a good cross talk will help all of us provide a better program, as we develop our materials.

Becoming a Nova Counselor and planning some events. The Super Nova requires a real application that's poorly written and confusing. The book looks pretty easy, should be fun… It seems like Nova Day would be a cool half day program, because you do a few belt loops and have a few discussions.

Well I've been trying to get approved as a Super NOVA counselor since early last summer, no answer yet from my council. I ran a NOVA program over the summer for my pack, it was mostly my Webelos that show'd up. You really need to plan each one for several meetings to give the boys time to do the work, I mean you could do a single NOVA award in a single long meeting but I think the spirit of the award is more a process of leading the boys to find answers on their own. Plus a think the after a couple hours it REALLY starts to feel like school.

Well I've been trying to get approved as a Super NOVA counselor since early last summer, no answer yet from my council. I ran a NOVA program over the summer for my pack, it was mostly my Webelos that show'd up. You really need to plan each one for several meetings to give the boys time to do the work, I mean you could do a single NOVA award in a single long meeting but I think the spirit of the award is more a process of leading the boys to find answers on their own. Plus a think the after a couple hours it REALLY starts to feel like school.
What is your qualifications to be a NOVA councilor?

Here is the application

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/stem/pdf/514-017_WB.pdf

At the cub level this is an adult driven award.

I would like to add that I do not like the fact you can designate only working with specific units.
Anyone can be a Nova councilor, you must have qualifications to be a SuperNova Mentor. At least around here there are lots of people willing to be mentors.

Our council has a couple of people on the program advisory committee so there has been a big push here. A STEM U is held at the end of the year for cubs and BS, spring and fall there are Stem days at a business for cubs to earn belt loops (Monsanto) then a STEM Camp in August for BS. They usually hold and hour training session for adults interested in the program and training to be a councilor/mentor.

Microsoft store holds lots of sessions for cubs.

FYI the cub Novas started with just 4 that are in the book, but I am told it has increased to about 14 subject areas, published online only.

I went to the Cub Stem U last year and it was fun they kept them busy but it was a tad long for a Wolf. a couple of the boys from my troop went to STEM camp and it was better than regular MB camp in that one MB was covered per day, but still it seems requirements were skimped a bit.

As with any big group session it starts being like school. The stem U at end of December is a good time as they boys are out of school.

Here are a few links to our council activities.

http://www.stlbsa.org/programs/stem/Pages/STEM.aspx

http://www.stlbsa.org/camping/AllAboutSummerCamp/boy%20scout%20summer%20camp/Pages/STEM-Camp.aspx

There are no qualification as far as the NOVA Award is concerned, that app is to be a SuperNova Councilor. As far as my qualifications, well I don't feel like posting my resume and it doesn't really matter what they are. If my council feels I don't qualify based on my "vocation or hobbies" they can not certify me and tell me that, currently they are ignoring me.

As far as running a program goes, I would rather have outside mentors running the program, I think the boys would get more out of it. So the the program KDD describes sounds pretty good. I tried to get some input/help from our council and got no where. Some of the parents/scouts in my pack showed some interest in doing the work and I have some knowledge about a couple of those so I ran the program. We managed to complete the Math and Engineering awards over the summer, took a total of 7-8 1.5 hour meetings plus the work they did on their own.

We had a DL talk about the NOVA award at one of our Roundtables, and that was a topic that she brought forward to RT on her own. That and a blurb on the Council website about what STEM means is the extent of what our Council has done for the NOVA.

I think some of the links and comments made by others shows the difference in how councils are implementing this program. That was part of the reason for the original post. I'm looking at trying to teach Super Nova in my pack, but it seems my district doesn't have a really good system in place. As always, looking for ways to help each other with our programs. Hope others will continue to jump in.

I think some of the links and comments made by others shows the difference in how councils are implementing this program. That was part of the reason for the original post. I'm looking at trying to teach Super Nova in my pack, but it seems my district doesn't have a really good system in place. As always, looking for ways to help each other with our programs. Hope others will continue to jump in.
You really don't need Council support. Anyone with a degree in a related field is qualified for Supernova. All you need is advancement chair process the paperwork.

So you guys are ok with a Cubedwelling code monkey teaching engineering or scientific method????

Kinda like the Kmart security guard teaching Atomic Energy........Doesn't make sense.

Sorry I want a Pilot teaching Aviation, Engineer teaching engineering or a Journeyman teaching electricity.

So you guys are ok with a Cubedwelling code monkey teaching engineering or scientific method????

Kinda like the Kmart security guard teaching Atomic Energy........Doesn't make sense.

Sorry I want a Pilot teaching Aviation, Engineer teaching engineering or a Journeyman teaching electricity.

How does that saying go. "Those that can't do teach".

If that is your criteria, good luck especially at the cub level. I have talked to a PhD Scouter who helped design the program at Philmont and you are taking this a little to seriously. These are not AP classes, their goal is to foster an interest in STEM, not impart an advanced degree. If a computer scientist has an interest in robotics or bacterial growth or circuitry he can serve as a great mentor for adolescent exploration of STEM. The enthusiasm is what is important here.

Hey, I managed multinational multicenter clinical trials outta my cube! :0

I think the operative word here is "pack". Sqyire is teaching the requirements to boys in grades 1 through 5. Anyone who had a high school math and science class knows more than these boys, and I'm sure with a little internet research would be more than capable of teaching this age group the requirements for the NOVA award. It's par for the course for every Cub Scout requirement. Does every den leader bring in a nutritionist to go over the food pyramid? Do they bring in a doctor to cover the first-aid requirements? A P.E. teacher to talk about the exercise requirements? A pro-basketball player to go over the basketball belt loop requirements? Although it would be nice to be able to do that for every requirement, the practical answer is no. The NOVA award is really no different.

Basement, first I want to thank you for communicating that new term. It is wonderful and I plan to use it just as soon as I can somehow.

I'm not OK with it. It is one of my strongest concerns for the quality of the program. There is a real need for this kind of program but it could do some harm, I fear, if persons 'teach' things that are simply 'wrong'. Once learned, false concepts almost take on a life of their own and a wrong way of thinking could be a life-long harm.

Worse, those Cubedwelling code monkeys, well-meaning that they are, don't even know themselves, how wrong or harmful they might be.

So while the phrase that KDD mentioned is an expression of dark humor, there is a cynical element of realism in it as well. It is one of the reasons that, for grades starting in middle school, I have consistently maintained that teachers should have their primary degree preparation in the field that they teach, and not in 'education'.

My sentiment isn't shared very widely so I try to shrug off the deficiencies of other subject areas and focus on STEM. That's what I am in so it's where I can have the greatest impact. I just pick up one starfish at a time and try not to obsess on the stranded multitude that I can't reach.