Micro-managing CC

Is it wrong to count the days until the CC moves on with his son? He can't answer a simple question in an email without paragraphs, usually quoting or regurgitating something from National or Council. His wife is just as bad, their Cub is hated by most of the kids in the Pack. The older ones don't like him, and he bullies the younger ones. More than parent has told their children to avoid him, and he pushes them to punch him in the nose. When caught doing wrong it is always someone else's fault. I won't even get into the issues with their older child who shows up at Pack meeting and acts completely inappropriate. People have told me they will get more involved with the Pack once this family is gone.

The lad who is fighting needs progressive discipline. Counciled with mom and dad, then suspended is the behavior continues. It is your responsibility to do so.

your unit is currently violating youth protection. See the below link and look under youth behavior guidelines. Your not doing the unit he ends up with any favors.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss01.aspx

Not sure what being CC has anything to do with this. If his kids were gems, would you be able to put up with the mile long E-mails? Some people are verbose, and everyone just endures it if those folks are still great servant leaders.

The lad who is fighting needs progressive discipline. Counciled with mom and dad, then suspended is the behavior continues. It is your responsibility to do so.

your unit is currently violating youth protection. See the below link and look under youth behavior guidelines. Your not doing the unit he ends up with any favors.

This is where is gets complicated. Outside of being rougher than others playing rough during Pack games, no adult has seen him do anything punishable. In those cases he is removed from the games. After the most recent incident. I did speak to him and his father and told him if it continues we will need to escalate it. I believe the parents will do what they can to stop the behavior issues because at least one of the parents have aspirations of being involved on the District level. I am on good terms with SMs of the area troops and they all hope the boy and his dad do not chose their respective units.

No, I wouldn't. His kids add to the aggravation. Every email contains passive aggressive "suggestions" on how things should be done. The other leaders are growing increasingly tired of it, and have been pulling back because of it. I have a strong threshold of BS and can grin and bear it, and speak my mind without getting personal and emotional.

The PC program that has been operating for the past several years has been to build self-esteem in our youth. To a certain degree this may be helpful, but we as a whole have gone way overboard with it. I find that bullies never lack self-esteem, but seldom do I seen them possessing even one ounce of self-respect.

Stosh

No, I wouldn't. His kids add to the aggravation. Every email contains passive aggressive "suggestions" on how things should be done. The other leaders are growing increasingly tired of it, and have been pulling back because of it. I have a strong threshold of BS and can grin and bear it, and speak my mind without getting personal and emotional.
Then you truly do have two problems although they may have a common source.

1. The CC lacks management skills and needs to be retrained or replaced. Contact your COR.

2. The boy needs some negative reinforcement, maybe suspension, at the very least a good talking to with parent in the room -- then followed up with positive reinforcement if he improves his behavior. Contact your CM and/or DL.

The politically correct (or honey vs. vinegar, or whatever) way to handle this is simple in both cases: "There are some rough edges that will make it very difficult if you continue in scouting (and maybe life in general), we want to help you shed those while you are still with us, if you'll allow it."

The PC program that has been operating for the past several years has been to build self-esteem in our youth. To a certain degree this may be helpful, but we as a whole have gone way overboard with it. I find that bullies never lack self-esteem, but seldom do I seen them possessing even one ounce of self-respect.

Stosh

Self esteem is over rated. Real character is in the other people and values you hold in high esteem.

If your having complaints something is happening.

Just wondering what makes you think involvement on the district level has anything to do with having an unruly child?

Either they want their kid to behave because thuggery is unbecoming, or your most important cause (the well-being of everyone's youth) is lost.

I hate when parents, on account of being abrasive and sometimes manipulative, ruin scouting for the boys. I've seen good boys want to hide their heads on account of their parents' behavior. :(

But, when a boy ruins scouting for himself, I'm not all that upset. Sometimes being told he's not welcome until we know he'll respect his fellow scouts is the best way to help a boy.

Stosh

Self esteem is based on what other people say is valuable about you.

Self respect is based on what you know is valuable about yourself.

Adults have been PC lying to kids for years and even they will be the first to know how bogus that is. Hey, mom, look at this terrific trophy I got for just showing up!

Yeah, right. Kids are a lot more savvy than what we give them credit for. Let me guess... most of those trophies don't even make it home, let alone on some shelf in the kid's bedroom.

Stosh

The CC did not have much of a Scouting experience as a kid and is trying to relive it. The son thinks he can do no wrong because his dad is CC. To a degree the dad has allowed the behavior. He is now aware others have noticed and promised that will change. Only time will tell.
I am the CM, and now that it was brought to my attention I want to nip it in the bud. I spoke with the Scout and his dad, time will tell. I truly think nobody addressed it because they were intimidated by the CC's need to control all things. The ACM and myself are on the same page.
you mention passive aggressive emails.

So are his suggestion in line with the way the book says things should be run?

Yes and no, some are how he thinks it should be done. He quotes the rules when convenient.