Early Advancement

IT seems to me that advancement in cub scouts is less about responsibility and hard work, and more about what grade you are in. This confuses me greatly, and seems to contradict the stated goals of the program. Is it true that you do not need to complete the requirements of the program in order to advance? and that you advance if you advance a grade in school? Is, fundamantally, making a full orbit around the sun the only requirement for advancing?

Is it possible to advance through the ranks faster? Can a child push through all the requirements and move onto the next rank in half the time, or does he need to then sit on his hands and wait for the sun to catch up with him?

Very confused.

If that is the case, then how can this happen?

"So at the age of 12 years 3 months and 10 days Truman Cerney has become the youngest in US History." http://www.prlog.org/10853450-youngest-awarded-eagle-scout-in-us-history-is-promoted-in-columbia-south-carolina.html

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Advancement has a different meaning in Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. If you want to really see different, check out Venturing's awards and recognition system (the term "advancement" is only used by fol

Some of this seems to be more about the person, and less about their age when achieving Eagle. i.e. A boy earns Eagle at 14...and then goes on to play ball or chase girls. Should we blame him for want

It should be about fun. Wheres the fire???? I didn't think so. There is the belt loop and pin program, lots of fun to be had there. how about the Gold and silver arrow points???? has he attended any of the council or district cub events???

So is the boy that interested in advance or is Mom and/or Dad pushing him?

Your article is dated, I believe there is a boy who has finished it younger than that. I will say rare is the lad who Eagles that early and It certainly won't happen in my Troop because we are too busy doing other things to focus completely on advancement.

The important thing to remember that Advancement is only one aspect or method of scouting.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/cubscouts/parents/about/pandm.aspx

Cub Scout "ranks" are very different than Boy Scouts. Boy Scout ranks are sequential and earned. Cub Scouts are "IN THEIR RANK" because of their school grade and spend the year completing that rank's requirements and thus earning the patch that indicates they completed the rank's requirements. So while a Boy Scout can't be a life scout and work toward Eagle without earning all the previous badges in sequence, a Cub Scout can work only on his current grade's rank requirements. Plus the Cub Scout is already that rank and can claim to have been a Wolf, Bear or Webelos without having ever completed all the requirements for any rank.

For cubs it is about Fun, Friendship, and bling. They are in school all day let them have fun and learn things they cannot do at school, "Character Education" is all well and good but will not retain participation. You need an active program or families will walk.

Advancement has a different meaning in Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts.

If you want to really see different, check out Venturing's awards and recognition system (the term "advancement" is only used by folks outside of the program), which most Venturers across the country completely ignore -- so much so, that BSA is attempting to completely re-vamp it.

• Downvote 1

Yes, you do not need to do the work within whatever rank your going for in Cubscouts. You will follow your buddies in that rank/grade to the next. If you do not fulfill the requirements you do not earn that Rank. Hence, no patch on your shirt. You will move up. Just means that you will go through the program and crossover when your 11 and not before. Heck, you don't even need to earn Bobcat for that matter.

So, officially, cubscouts is limited by the age and or grade of the student? If a student skips a grade, or is held back, he also skips or is held back in scouts?

Unless you are an LDS pack. Then your rank is determined by age, I believe.

On the skipping and being held back I'd take that case by case. I wouldn't require a boy to repeat his wolf year if he was held back in school. I'd advance him along with the rest of his den. "The Bear Cub Scout program is for boys who have completed second grade (or are age 9). "

So, officially, cubscouts is limited by the age and or grade of the student? If a student skips a grade, or is held back, he also skips or is held back in scouts?

The age of the cub scout has first priority when determing what den he should placed in. If he is held back a grade in school, he should not be held back in scouts. He moves on with his peers as he becomes a year older. A good guideline is this: When they become 9 years old before school starts by September 1st, they should be starting in a Webelos Den.

As others have said, the CUB LEVEL a boy is in is determined by his age, and/or, grade.

All Cub Scout activity (including rank AWARD requirements) is AGE appropriate. If a Cub is held back, or advanced, a grade in school, it is up to his parents, and den leaders, to come to a decision on what is best for the boy in Cub Scouts.

A lot depends on the Scout's maturity. BSA recommends keeping the Scout with his current, age consistent, den mates. However, the final decision is up to the parents.

I am wondering if we are speaking to a home schooler here.

We had a home schooler in our pack when I was CM. Bright boy, But he was EXTREMELY socially delayed. While mom claimed he was in 4th grade education wise he enjoyed playing with the Tigers more than his peers. He could sit down and do book work or a craft. But a game of tag or crab fights no interest.

"So at the age of 12 years 3 months and 10 days Truman Cerney has become the youngest in US History."

Is he still Involved in Scouting or did Baseball take over in his life?.. Wonder what Happened to him afterwards.

Apparently not. He is listed as SPL here

http://troop874.org/pos.htm'>http://troop874.org/pos.htm

It is in a troop in the general area of where he lives and his name is unique enough that I am fairly certain it is him.

look at this....

http://troop874.org/

Boy I don't like that home page.