Pictures and Social Media Question

I could use some advice.

I have a parent who took almost all our pictures at our Cubmobile race today. I asked her if she could upload them to our Pack's Facebook. She asked me if we needed to do a media (or like a modeling) release for the kids. We have NEVER had to do this in the past and I don't know if anyone else has had to deal with this issue. She also said that her kid doesn't want his picture on FB. I have no problem with not putting a picture of him online but I don't think its fair to tell other parents they can't put a picture of their kid online just because hers is in the background or its a group shot.

Not everyone is on facebook. Or they are, but never post pictures of their children. It is a sensitive subject. I would ask the parents for permission before posting photos on facebook.
Big question for me though...How is this different then putting pictures of them in the newspaper or a paper that has an online copy for the world to see. Where do we draw the line?

When signing up we had the parents sign a release form for all scout related activites.

We did have some "specials" that didnt have their pics releaseed/name taged.

If they are on the group picture, they go on the groups CLOSED FB account. The closed account is only accesibale to scouts/parents/leaders and NOT public.

We try to find some pics to make public without faces, which cuts the smiles out of the picture :-(

Our past units have also used various photo storage sites. Invitations were sent out from a private account and interested parents created accounts and passwords to view photos online. If you do have children whose parents do not want their photo disseminated, put a smiley face sticker in an obvious spot on his clothes. If the sticker's in the photo, don't post that one or blur his face.

• Upvote 1
I could use some advice.

I have a parent who took almost all our pictures at our Cubmobile race today. I asked her if she could upload them to our Pack's Facebook. She asked me if we needed to do a media (or like a modeling) release for the kids. We have NEVER had to do this in the past and I don't know if anyone else has had to deal with this issue. She also said that her kid doesn't want his picture on FB. I have no problem with not putting a picture of him online but I don't think its fair to tell other parents they can't put a picture of their kid online just because hers is in the background or its a group shot.

First of All the Photos Belong to the Photographer Not to You Unless You Paid her to take Photographs. And then You get what was agreed upon by Contract

For Commercial Use The Photographer has to obtain permission from Everyone in the Photo. If photos are to be Sold You Need A talent release.

If you Post a Picture of someone without a Talent release form they can Request it be removed or Altered to not Show them Clearly or Request to get Paid..Every Watch those Reality Shows Where Faces are Blurred, it is Because they Refused to be Shown for free or Refused to shown Period.

Does A Scout have to Sign a BSA Talent Release Form...NO.

Simplest Solution: Request Multiple Photographers who will share photos. Best reason you get More Photos of a Wider Range of Subjects as Parents tend to Focus on their own Child. You also get more variety of Angles and Views. Plus More Photographers can be in more places at Once. I can tell you it is hard to take photographs over a 60 Acre Camp by yourself.

Also Get a Volunteer Photographer Like Me who will take Photographs for free.

When I post Pictures of Any Event I do not Tag anyone unless They Request it, I leave Tagging up to Parents or Guardians or the Individual. I also Remove from Public View any Photos that are requested simply because I can tell the Story minus a few Photos..I usually get around 1000+ photos per Event anyways. I will Use a Photograph without People in it, such as a Patch for the Event to Tag Adult Scouters making it easier to find for their Friends and Family Members. My Facebook Albums are set to Public..I will remove and report any inappropriate Posts and Bloke those People.

The BSA has youth protection policies dealing with this. Check with your District or Scout Executive. If pictures of youth are used, full names may not be posted.
That is a Falsehood..it is a Recommendation. Boy Scouts of America can Not tell a Parent they Can not Tag Johnny Q. Public in their Own Photographs

Youth Protection Rule

Inappropriate use of cameras, imaging, or digital devices prohibited. While most campers and leaders use cameras and other imaging devices responsibly, it has become very easy to invade the privacy of individuals. It is inappropriate to use any device capable of recording or transmitting visual images in shower houses, restrooms, or other areas where privacy is expected by participants.

Social media guidelines. The policy of two-deep leadership extends into cyberspace. Another adult leader should be copied on any electronic communication between adult and youth member.

The Social Media Guidelines are just that guidelines. Keep in Mind...well some people Can....USE COMMON SENSE

From Social Media Guideline

As with any online site, it is highly important that you do not give out personal information about Scouts or Scouters to anyone on Facebook. Every effort should be made to help ensure that your fans and those Scouts and Scouters that use the Facebook page are protected. Keeping Scouts safe and keeping their private information safe should be the primary concern in any endeavor involving themâ€â€whether that’s keeping them safe on a camping trip or keeping them safe on the unit Facebook fan page.

When creating a Facebook page, you should make it a public fan page.

When creating a YouTube channel, your channel must be public. There should be no private groups.

Our past units have also used various photo storage sites. Invitations were sent out from a private account and interested parents created accounts and passwords to view photos online. If you do have children whose parents do not want their photo disseminated, put a smiley face sticker in an obvious spot on his clothes. If the sticker's in the photo, don't post that one or blur his face.
Love the idea of using a smiley face for no-photo kids!