National Summertime Pack Award clarification

Our Pack did six events this summer: District Twilight Camp and a regular June Pack meeting, resident camp and a bike rodeo (in lieu of a July meeting), and family camp and a space derby (instead of an August meeting.)

It's clear that we qualify at a pack level for the Summertime Award, but we do have a question at the individual Scout level: do boys have to have attended three specific events to qualify, or can they earn the pin so long as they showed up at any one event per month? In other words, if Boy A attended Twilight Camp in June, Resident Camp in July, and the Space Derby in August, but Boy B attended Twilight Camp, the Bike Rodeo, and Family Camp, can they both be awarded the pin? Both attended one pack event per month during the summer, but they didn't attend the *same* events.

Recommendations?

Scout needs to attend at least 1 event per month. My previous pack offered 2 events per month (like yours) and all anyone needed was to attend 1 of the 2 events each month.

(as a side note, we did authorized a Scout the award for attending 3 events over only 2 months....but it was because he attended all 4 in Jun/Jul, and moved before Aug. While probably not legal, we felt it was right)

Scout needs to attend at least 1 event per month. My previous pack offered 2 events per month (like yours) and all anyone needed was to attend 1 of the 2 events each month.

(as a side note, we did authorized a Scout the award for attending 3 events over only 2 months....but it was because he attended all 4 in Jun/Jul, and moved before Aug. While probably not legal, we felt it was right)

Feels right to me!
I am wondering if I should get the award for my son. We just transferred Packs, other pack earned it (and he participated) but the new pack doesn't do summers (yet).
I would go buy him the pin and give it too him. Not award it at the pack meeting....Since your new it may rub some folks the wrong way.
I am wondering if I should get the award for my son. We just transferred Packs, other pack earned it (and he participated) but the new pack doesn't do summers (yet).
Since when do you care about rubbing people the wrong way ? :)

I would ask the CM what he thinks. I was in the same situation last fall having moved in August. I did award the outdoor activity award and summertime pin at a pack meeting, with permission. It did have the effect of sparking interest in scheduling a summer program and the outdoor activity award because it does look like an OA flap that the boys see visiting Scouters wear.

I don't know about your Scout store, but my store wouldn't sell us the pins without filling out the full Summertime application summarizing each event and how many scouts attended from each den for each event, how many parents and siblings attended, and then signed by CC and CM. BSA sure knows how to take the fun out of things. Most awards require no paperwork, so I don't know why this is so different. So what I'm saying is that you might not be able to just go to the store and buy a pin for your boy.
Gee let me see....

Brand new leader Stands his/her scout up and awards a pin to his/her scout for something the other guys had no chance to earn. How could that possibly hurt or offend anyone????

Kinda smacks a of Dad finding his scout a buddy to go off and earn the National Outdoor Achievement award on their own......Patrol or Troop program be damned

• 2 weeks later...

We organize three events as a pack, but if a boy can't attend one (or any) of them, we let him count any and all of the council- and district-organized events: camp, Mud Cubs, Cub mobile race, etc. Family vacations put big holes in their summer calendars, so we make it easy on them. We just want them to do scouting, too!

Im going to thread jack a little. My question is which rank pin do you award the boys? Per BSA you rank up in their computers come June 1st right? So at family camping my Wolfs Ranked up to Bears. So they completed thr majority of the summertime award as Bears. Yet my son was awarded the Red Wolf pin tonight. This makes no sense to me. Arent they color coded now so that they can wear the pin the matches their slides? My son earned this award as bear, shouldnt he get the bear one? Some will argue that this means that since most Tigers dont join till september they will never earn the Tiger one. I say oh well....They are technicaly able to joine June 1st. We had one boy that did join june 1st and he was awarded the Tiger one. So what, he is going to earn the same one next year? It makes no sence.

To make maters worse these two sites seem to agree with the way my pack handled it tonight, although it seems no official word can me found on the scouting.org webpage.

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/award/award-1584.asp

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/National_Summertime_Award

I dont agree with those two links at all. When the pins are made color matched with the slides why would my son wear the green/blue slide as a bear and be awarded the Red Wolf pin. Someone make that logical to me.