X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Summertime Pack Award clarification

Our Pack did six events this summer: District Twilight Camp and a regular June Pack meeting, resident camp and a bike rodeo (in lieu of a July meeting), and family camp and a space derby (instead of an August meeting.)

It's clear that we qualify at a pack level for the Summertime Award, but we do have a question at the individual Scout level: do boys have to have attended three specific events to qualify, or can they earn the pin so long as they showed up at any one event per month? In other words, if Boy A attended Twilight Camp in June, Resident Camp in July, and the Space Derby in August, but Boy B attended Twilight Camp, the Bike Rodeo, and Family Camp, can they both be awarded the pin? Both attended one pack event per month during the summer, but they didn't attend the *same* events.
    Recommendations?

Any one event.

Comment

Great that you had so many events this summer. Good job. To second baseball, as long as they attend one event each month they are good.

Comment

Scout needs to attend at least 1 event per month. My previous pack offered 2 events per month (like yours) and all anyone needed was to attend 1 of the 2 events each month.
        (as a side note, we did authorized a Scout the award for attending 3 events over only 2 months....but it was because he attended all 4 in Jun/Jul, and moved before Aug. While probably not legal, we felt it was right)

Comment

• koolaidman
          koolaidman commented
          Editing a comment
          Feels right to me!

I am wondering if I should get the award for my son. We just transferred Packs, other pack earned it (and he participated) but the new pack doesn't do summers (yet).

Comment

• King Ding Dong
          King Ding Dong commented
          Editing a comment
          Since when do you care about rubbing people the wrong way ?

I would ask the CM what he thinks. I was in the same situation last fall having moved in August. I did award the outdoor activity award and summertime pin at a pack meeting, with permission. It did have the effect of sparking interest in scheduling a summer program and the outdoor activity award because it does look like an OA flap that the boys see visiting Scouters wear.

• dedkad
          dedkad commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know about your Scout store, but my store wouldn't sell us the pins without filling out the full Summertime application summarizing each event and how many scouts attended from each den for each event, how many parents and siblings attended, and then signed by CC and CM. BSA sure knows how to take the fun out of things. Most awards require no paperwork, so I don't know why this is so different. So what I'm saying is that you might not be able to just go to the store and buy a pin for your boy.

• Basementdweller
          Basementdweller commented
          Editing a comment
          Gee let me see....

Brand new leader Stands his/her scout up and awards a pin to his/her scout for something the other guys had no chance to earn. How could that possibly hurt or offend anyone????

Kinda smacks a of Dad finding his scout a buddy to go off and earn the National Outdoor Achievement award on their own......Patrol or Troop program be damned

But I don't think attending Resident camp is a qualifying event......

Comment

• ScoutNut
          ScoutNut commented
          Editing a comment
          As long as it is promoted, and organized, by the Pack, of course it would count.

We organize three events as a pack, but if a boy can't attend one (or any) of them, we let him count any and all of the council- and district-organized events: camp, Mud Cubs, Cub mobile race, etc. Family vacations put big holes in their summer calendars, so we make it easy on them. We just want them to do scouting, too!

Comment

Im going to thread jack a little. My question is which rank pin do you award the boys? Per BSA you rank up in their computers come June 1st right? So at family camping my Wolfs Ranked up to Bears. So they completed thr majority of the summertime award as Bears. Yet my son was awarded the Red Wolf pin tonight. This makes no sense to me. Arent they color coded now so that they can wear the pin the matches their slides? My son earned this award as bear, shouldnt he get the bear one? Some will argue that this means that since most Tigers dont join till september they will never earn the Tiger one. I say oh well....They are technicaly able to joine June 1st. We had one boy that did join june 1st and he was awarded the Tiger one. So what, he is going to earn the same one next year? It makes no sence.

To make maters worse these two sites seem to agree with the way my pack handled it tonight, although it seems no official word can me found on the scouting.org webpage.
          http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content...award-1584.asp
          http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/National_Summertime_Award

I
          dont agree with those two links at all. When the pins are made color matched with the slides why would my son wear the green/blue slide as a bear and be awarded the Red Wolf pin. Someone make that logical to me.

Comment

• King Ding Dong
            King Ding Dong commented
            Editing a comment
            Careful with the "ranked up" terms. On June 1 you move up to a new den and are on a new trail, you have not earned a new rank. You get the rank when you complete all the requirements for the rank.

I am starting to get the feeling that when the BSA is not clear about something, they are just being flexible. Pick a system and stick to it.

• howarthe
            howarthe commented
            Editing a comment
            You are correct. It is unclear. I think most packs do it the way your pack does it. It has the advantage of giving most of the boys the opportunity to earn all four pins. I do it the way you describe as your preference because the first time I awarded these pins, I really did have a brand new tiger cub that came to all our summertime events. This way, he will have the opportunity to earn the Webelos pin twice.

You are also correct when you say that Cub Scouts "rank up" on June 1. Cub Scouts do not "earn" their rank. It is confusing because they do earn a "badge of rank," but their rank is assigned to them by their grade in school (or age). They are wolf scouts all year even if they never earn their wolf badge.

^^^ They are Bear scouts though no? Bear is their "rank" They just havent eaned their bear badge yet right? I personaly hate when the BSA is unclear about so many things.

Comment

• dedkad
            dedkad commented
            Editing a comment
            Once you've done the paperwork for the pins, you may see why your pack chose to award based on the previous den instead of the new den. With your method, your concern about a Tiger earning the same pin twice is less likely to happen than a Webelos earning the same pin twice. You can wear all the summertime pins you're awarded on your uniform all at the same time, so if a color of a pin doesn't match your slide, it really means nothing because it won't match his slide the following year anyway. Just be happy you have active leaders who care enough to run a summertime program and follow-through with recognizing the boys who remained active during the summer. It's just a pin, for gosh sakes.

• King Ding Dong
            King Ding Dong commented
            Editing a comment
            In your example I would say no their "rank" is not Bear. In order to purchase a Bear badge you must turn in a "rank advancement" form.

If you do it as listed (Tiger Pin after Tiger year), it seems weird since the boys are getting the "wrong" color. If you do it your way, hardly any boys will earn the Tiger pin, and a few may earn the Webelos pin twice. I've heard packs doing it both ways. Its not really a big deal, is it?

Comment

We have spring Tiger recruits who earned the Summertime activity pin this last summer. I don't see how I can do anything but award pins based on rank as of June 1, nothing else makes sense in this context. I know that it means the Webs will earn the same pin twice, but most of them won't care nearly as much as the new Tigers if they don't get a pin or the current Wolf scouts if they get a Tiger pin.

Comment

• sasha
              sasha commented
              Editing a comment
              KDD, I don't really care. I'll do what I think is right and everyone else can do what they think is right and scouting marches on.

• Basementdweller
              Basementdweller commented
              Editing a comment
              KDD the scouter word dicer......a shame you don't spend this much time on your program

here is what Q said

"Oh, for the love of Akela ....

Don't anybody dare call national and ask them for a rule!

Like BD said, it's a pin that gets swept off the floor at a pack meeting if it's not stashed in a box in the kid's sock drawer! The JTE metrics make no mention of pins. It doesn't even mention summertime activities.

Give the Webelos Tiger Pins and the Wolfs Webelos pins and see how it changes the color of the ribbon on the pack flag or the knot on their uniform 10 years from now ... IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER.

What matters is that the kids have active summers and feel proud about it."

I love how cub parents jump thru hoops to buy a pin that has zero meaning.

• Pack18Alex
              Pack18Alex commented
              Editing a comment
              I think it depends, do you sign up new Tiger Cubs in the Spring? If so, then you want to award the Summertime Pin then. If, you're like the rest of us, don't really get Tigers in the Spring, then you do it on the prior year so boys that are active in the program can do each year. The boys don't care, they get a pin, it's exciting, who cares if they get two Tigers, two Webelos, or never complete a set... but parents whose boy might be "deprived" the Tiger one will care.

Our solution, I'm doing it on the prior year, since we don't get new Tigers... we tried a summer program last year, people didn't show up. I have one or two Tigers that may sign up in the Spring, with older siblings in Scouts. If they earn it, I'll let them earn two Tiger pins. The policy was arbitrary, we'd never done the award before, and my son finished Tiger and is having fun picking them all up.

Neither "makes sense." As of June 1st, they are onto the next program year. However, that would also mean that Tigers couldn't earn the Outdoor Activity Badge in our district, and boys at camp wouldn't necessarily earn it without us tracking the program all year... much easier to hit the objectives on the year, and award it to everyone that goes to camp.

It's not really a huge deal... do whichever pins help you run a program that gets the boys excited to participate more.
          Working...
          X