Appropriate to use Announcements song at Pack meetings and other fun stuff

I was briefly introduced to the announcements song at IOLS, but it faded out and did not understand it. At BS summer camp a version was used extensively and seems to be a cleaned up version that really did not make much sense. Announcements, announcements, announcements. What a terrible way to die, What a terrible way to die, What a terrible death, to be talked to death. What a terrible way to die. We sold our cow We sold our cow We have no use for your Milk now Announcements, announcements, announcements. SPEAK ! Seems a leaned up from this one We sold our cow, moo. We sold our cow, moo. We have no use for your bull now Announcements, announcements, announcements. That makes more sense, but is a little edgier. Our pack meetings do not have the "round of applause" and some othe fun things. Like "Hello my name is Joe". Response "HI JOE !!!" Would this be appropriate at the cub level and what other standard fun things work for your Pack ?

I'd shorten it by ditching the stuff about the cow and head right to SPEAK!. Once a month won't kill anyone. The more interactive, and quite frankly silly, the meeting, the more fun the boys have. Do be aware that these things will add time (about 2-4 minutes) to your agenda every time one is incorporated, so keep it tight if you want out of there in an hour. And, by WEBS, the boys and parents may have had enough of that dreaded old thing.

The announcement song is used to kill long winded speakers.

At my woodbadge course it was sung over and over and over again. Complete with the second verse about the windbag. Of course standing at gilwell for an hour or more was the norm

the He we sit song works wonders for that too

At my woodbadge course it was sung over and over and over again. Complete with the second verse about the windbag. Of course standing at gilwell for an hour or more was the norm

So you would use it in the middle of a oratory ? At camp and IOLS it was just used when a speaker said the word "announcements".

Scouting is supposed to be fun. The game of Announcements is just that. I don't use signs-up, for the reason Rick_in_CA says, but in the reverse. Why should I interrupt the boys? What's the lesson they learn? I simply say, "Hey, guys, I have an announcement" to which they sing the song. They ALL sing the song. Once it's done I have their undivided attention and they have had a little fun. No harm no foul. :)

• Upvote 1
Scouting is supposed to be fun. The game of Announcements is just that. I don't use signs-up, for the reason Rick_in_CA says, but in the reverse. Why should I interrupt the boys? What's the lesson they learn? I simply say, "Hey, guys, I have an announcement" to which they sing the song. They ALL sing the song. Once it's done I have their undivided attention and they have had a little fun. No harm no foul. :)
That is my thought line exactly. What verse or verses do to you use ?

I get Rick's point and certainly can't be tolerated if they break into it without the ANNOUNCEMENTS que. At camp the leaders were really in control becuase it only happened when they said announcements. it only takes a minute with two verses and is fun. The flow of our meetings was rather dull the second half of the year. If I was a scout, I wouldn't want to come.

What other fun little stuff like that do you do ?

I have no issues with the song other than it gets really old really fast. I'd rather hear the 15 to 30 second announcment than a bunch of people singing multiple verses complete with coreography for a few minutes.

I was briefly introduced to the announcements song at IOLS' date=' but it faded out and did not understand it. At BS summer camp a version was used extensively and seems to be a cleaned up version that really did not make much sense. Announcements, announcements, announcements. What a terrible way to die, What a terrible way to die, What a terrible death, to be talked to death. What a terrible way to die. We sold our cow We sold our cow We have no use for your Milk now Announcements, announcements, announcements. SPEAK ! Seems a leaned up from this one We sold our cow, moo. We sold our cow, moo. We have no use for your bull now Announcements, announcements, announcements. That makes more sense, but is a little edgier. Our pack meetings do not have the "round of applause" and some othe fun things. Like "Hello my name is Joe". Response "HI JOE !!!" Would this be appropriate at the cub level and what other standard fun things work for your Pack ?[/quote']

If the kids and parents like it, it's appropriate. The Boy Scouts (or at least our ASPL) love it.

The course spl droned on and on......I would zone out, next thing I know the announcement song was going......

Ya know ... "I THINK" that some program content is more appropriate for an older age. At younger ages, wo are teaching very basics about decorum and it's harder to get scouts back in control. Songs such as "announcements" are .... IMHO ... a bit much for younger kids. I am not sure at 6 years old kids can safely distinguish between being playful with rudeness and real rudeness. Similar to the bird song. Cubs know the 1st versus, but we save the shotgun shooting the bird and it decomposing versus for boy scouts.

KDD, At Boy Scout and Webelos summer camp.....upon return of missing items, you will get serenaded with: "Reunited and it feels so good...uhh!"
Our Pack only uses the occasional Run On or Stunt or Cheer mixed in with awards and announcements.

I think it is ridiculous. It's one thing if, like jblake does, you use the it as a planned means of injecting a funny, self-deprecating song into a meeting. We have this one guy at Roundtable who sits on the edge of his seat just waiting for some newbie to slip up and mention the "A-word." I've heard him do the song three times in the same meeting. What a stupid waste of time. And another reason I don't do Roundtable.

I have no issues with the song other than it gets really old really fast. I'd rather hear the 15 to 30 second announcment than a bunch of people singing multiple verses complete with coreography for a few minutes.

I think it is ridiculous. It's one thing if' date=' like jblake does, you use the it as a planned means of injecting a funny, self-deprecating song into a meeting. We have this one guy at Roundtable who sits on the edge of his seat just waiting for some newbie to slip up and mention the "A-word." I've heard him do the song three times in the same meeting. What a stupid waste of time. And another reason I don't do Roundtable.[/quote']

I've never heard of the announcements song, but based on the description I would have to agree with you two. After the second time my reaction would probably be along the lines of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tO4X8_c80kg#t=66s Especially if it was an adult at an adult meeting.