Advancement Ceremony if some boys haven't completed badge requirements

We have a unique Pack in that our dens only meet once a month, so it takes us the whole school year to complete our badge requirements. We hold our Advancement Ceremony at our June campout, which consists of awarding badges, moving their name up the Advancement Ladder to the next den level, and getting their new neckerchiefs. We have a few boys who will not be done with their badge requirements by the campout. Our Unit Commissioner said the boys can use the summer to complete their badge requirements. I was thinking that we would acknowledge the boys at the campout and announce that they are going to use the summer to continue working on their badges, but not let them move their name up the ladder or give them their new neckerchiefs at the campout. We could hold another Advancement Ceremony at our September Pack meeting for those boys. What has been your experiences on how to properly recognize the boys who completed their requirements in time for your Advancement Ceremony (probably at B&G) while still acknowledging the boys who are in the process without making them feel so bad that they just want to give up.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This shouldn't be like youth baseball....   Participation does not equal trophy.....Do the work get the award and recognition. The boys know who earned it and who didn't, don't cheapen the aw

Okay, I can think of a few different thoughts, so I'll try and put them all down.

- Did the Scouts "Do Their Best" to complete the requirements? While I don't normally consider this theory acceptable, I have heard of leaders who do.

- Cub Scouts are supposed to advance programs on 1 June. That being said, my pack will allow a scout to continue to work on rank advancement for a couple of weeks into June if they really need it. But, you also need to consider: By allowing them to delay advancement....you may be preventing them from completing their requirements for the next rank next year.

I would consider sitting down with the parents and mapping out what each Scout has left, and making sure they can complete the missing items quickly. Each program is easily completed in a matter of a couple of months....so even if you only meet a few times a year, if the scouts are active during the off weeks...they can finish the yearly program easily.

Hope this helps.. as I'm sure there will be other thoughts.

We have our rank badge earned ceremony and advancement ceremony. They are two different things to us.

On June 1st every boy moves from one rank to another, and it doesn't matter if they did all the requirements for Tiger Wolf etc badge. they need to have earned their badge by then in order to receive it, else they just dont get it. The badge requirements must be done while the boy is that rank. You cannot do Wolf requirements and have them count towards the Wolf Badge when you are a Tiger or Bear.

On June 1st our council considers all the kids graduated to the next rank, so a kid who didnt show up to any Den Meetings at all would still be in the next rank at June 1st. I mean if someone signs up for cub scouts as a wolf in the spring then doesn't attend meetings and returns in the fall, he isn't still a wolf, he is a bear.

"Dens only meet once a month"...is there some reason the den leaders can't meet once a week, as the program is designed? I am always amused at those who don't follow the program, then ask for solutions when it doesn't work out. The others are correct...once a boy is advanced to the next level, he can't go back and work on badges he didn't complete.

"Dens only meet once a month"...is there some reason the den leaders can't meet once a week, as the program is designed? I am always amused at those who don't follow the program, then ask for solutions when it doesn't work out. The others are correct...once a boy is advanced to the next level, he can't go back and work on badges he didn't complete.
As Sqyire21 said, the program is easily completed in a matter of a couple of months, so holding monthly den meetings (with a few extra thrown in here and there for field trips and whatnot) is more than sufficient for us to complete the badge requirements. Judge our program all you want, but as one of the largest Packs in the community, I can assure you that it works. Even if you meet weekly, you are still going to have boys who don't complete their requirements because they are just not making the effort or have different priorities. It has not been a problem for us in the past, but for some reason this year it happened to multiple dens. Since we have not experienced this problem before, I was asking for advice on how to acknowledge those who did not finish their badge reqiurements during our Badge and Advancement Ceremony, not asking for a critique on our methods of running the Pack.
A couple of thoughts on the Program, because I get confused sometimes. The Den and Pack Meeting resource guide is layed out with two den meetings per month and one pack meeting for a 9 month school year. However the JTE and den leader knots want 3 den meetings a month.

The problems find in scheduling 2 den meeting a month is 1 it is hard to get it all done 2. there inevitably are conflicts with school events, weather, sick den leader etc that then put us behind further. Maybe I am just not efficient enough with the meetings or assign enough homework.

The first pack we were with was out of a Catholic Church and was huge. They held a a den/pack meeting once a month. Dens met in classrooms for the first hour then an hour pack meeting. Well organized and enough dynamic leadership to keep the boys engaged. They were "successful" because the schedule allowed less conflict with sports. Sports always seem to be a higher priority than scouts.

I do have a conflict that needs to be resolved with former Webelos leader (and now CC) who has a son in my bear den. He met once a month and just did the requirements he could get done in that hour then awarded the badge. Not the program, but says the parents like it.

The Rank award is just that - an award. Advancement in Cub Scouts is a whole 'nother animal. Advancement happens at the end of the school year (BSA uses June 1) when the boys change grade levels, no matter what, if any awards they have earned. To that end we have always kept our award recognition ceremonies, entirely separate from our advancement (graduation) ceremony.

Our dens meet weekly. Those meetings are usually 2 den, 1 outing, and 1 Pack meeting per month. Sometimes there will be extra activities thrown in as well. We use our B&G as a goal to be completed with all requirements for the rank awards. That is reasonable goal, and gives everyone a time frame to work toward. It Is, however, not set in stone.

We do award ceremonies monthly. Mostly they are for small accomplishments/awards. Rank awards get the bigger, fancier, ceremonies. The major one is held in February, at our B&G, but we can/have done them at other times when a Scout has completed the requirements (usually later, rarely earlier).

Even when the rank awards are completed in February, there is plenty for the boys to do/earn for the rest of the year.

Come the end of May - beginning of June, we hold our last Pack meeting of the Scout year. At that meeting we will first do ceremonies to present any final awards earned. After all awards have been presented, we hold our "Graduation" ceremony and move our Cubs from their current, to their next Scout level.

There have been times when Cubs have not finished the requirements for their rank awards. BSA allows some extra time to complete those requirements (for the RANK award ONLY, no others including Electives). We explain that the Scout can only work in ONE level at a time, and that until he has finished work on his current (old) rank award requirements, he can not work on anything at his new Cub level.

If any did choose to stay at their "old" level to work on their rank award we would have included them in the Graduation ceremony. They would have received their new necker, and slide, but their new Handbook would be held until the first den meeting of the new school year. They would then have their rank award ceremony at either our end of summer picnic, or the September Pack meeting (Scout's choice).

No boy has ever taken us up on the added time. They are ready for the new stuff, and are really not that excited about the bling. That is all the parents.

Regarding meetings: Once monthly meetings work if you only want to complete the minimums for rank advancement.

My youngest son's den met once monthly during Tiger, Wolf and Bear. He doesn't have any gold and silver arrow points on his shirt nor has he ever asked to earn one. Sure, we had longer meetings, but we had near perfect attendance and got it done. I am taking over as the Webelos leader this fall. The boys are attending summer resident camp and will earn/almost complete 4-5 activity pins. We plan on meeting monthly and we will easily finish all the required Webelos and AOL activity pin requirements during 4th grade. During 5th grade, we will work on "Scout Rank" requirements, troop activities and their SMC and finish up early. We found we have better success with attendance if we aren't competing with sports, church, drama club, etc. and filling up the parents' schedules with tons of scout meetings--only to pick the ones they were not going to attend. An organized den leader can make it work. And yes, it goes against the JTE 2013 Silver Level recommendations, but it works for our families.

The Rank award is just that - an award. Advancement in Cub Scouts is a whole 'nother animal. Advancement happens at the end of the school year (BSA uses June 1) when the boys change grade levels, no matter what, if any awards they have earned. To that end we have always kept our award recognition ceremonies, entirely separate from our advancement (graduation) ceremony.

Our dens meet weekly. Those meetings are usually 2 den, 1 outing, and 1 Pack meeting per month. Sometimes there will be extra activities thrown in as well. We use our B&G as a goal to be completed with all requirements for the rank awards. That is reasonable goal, and gives everyone a time frame to work toward. It Is, however, not set in stone.

We do award ceremonies monthly. Mostly they are for small accomplishments/awards. Rank awards get the bigger, fancier, ceremonies. The major one is held in February, at our B&G, but we can/have done them at other times when a Scout has completed the requirements (usually later, rarely earlier).

Even when the rank awards are completed in February, there is plenty for the boys to do/earn for the rest of the year.

Come the end of May - beginning of June, we hold our last Pack meeting of the Scout year. At that meeting we will first do ceremonies to present any final awards earned. After all awards have been presented, we hold our "Graduation" ceremony and move our Cubs from their current, to their next Scout level.

There have been times when Cubs have not finished the requirements for their rank awards. BSA allows some extra time to complete those requirements (for the RANK award ONLY, no others including Electives). We explain that the Scout can only work in ONE level at a time, and that until he has finished work on his current (old) rank award requirements, he can not work on anything at his new Cub level.

If any did choose to stay at their "old" level to work on their rank award we would have included them in the Graduation ceremony. They would have received their new necker, and slide, but their new Handbook would be held until the first den meeting of the new school year. They would then have their rank award ceremony at either our end of summer picnic, or the September Pack meeting (Scout's choice).

No boy has ever taken us up on the added time. They are ready for the new stuff, and are really not that excited about the bling. That is all the parents.

But wouldn't giving them their new neckerchief and slide imply that they have advanced and can no longer work at the old den level? I like the idea of being able to do that because it allows them up on stage with the other boys in their den to get some sort of recognition, but just not sure if that is considered OK.
Regarding meetings: Once monthly meetings work if you only want to complete the minimums for rank advancement.

My youngest son's den met once monthly during Tiger, Wolf and Bear. He doesn't have any gold and silver arrow points on his shirt nor has he ever asked to earn one. Sure, we had longer meetings, but we had near perfect attendance and got it done. I am taking over as the Webelos leader this fall. The boys are attending summer resident camp and will earn/almost complete 4-5 activity pins. We plan on meeting monthly and we will easily finish all the required Webelos and AOL activity pin requirements during 4th grade. During 5th grade, we will work on "Scout Rank" requirements, troop activities and their SMC and finish up early. We found we have better success with attendance if we aren't competing with sports, church, drama club, etc. and filling up the parents' schedules with tons of scout meetings--only to pick the ones they were not going to attend. An organized den leader can make it work. And yes, it goes against the JTE 2013 Silver Level recommendations, but it works for our families.

How long are your meetings? I find it hard to keep their attention for more than hour.

My other concern with this approach is Webelos is supposed to be training for Boy Scouts who meet once a week even after a campout.

I have coined this approach "Cub Scouts Lite" and not sure I want this for youngest.

Our den does have 3 Den Meetings a month and one Pack Meeting (unless its a holiday, campouts etc also take the place of a den meeting). So basically we are doing cub scout things 4 times a month minimum. Not everyone can make every meeting due to other things. But if you had one den meeting a month and the "other things" like den leader being sick or other families are out of town etcetc, that kid is down to not having a Den Meeting for 2 months!

Not everyone can make every meeting. I send out a quick email with what we did in our den meeting and ask the parents work at home with their kids of they missed the meeting. If we, as leaders, cannot make the meeting, we find someone who can hold a meeting. Life can go on without the Den Leader there. Heck the meeting could be simple as go to the park and play kickball or go on a hike or give the parent who is having the meeting something to do with the kids.

But basically our kids see each other every week, be it at a Pack Meeting, Den Meeting, Council Campout etc. The only times we don't see each other is Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks.

To people who say that more than 1 den meeting a month is too much ,please talk to someone who has their kids in Karate, Baseball , Soccer, Football etc. Do those activities meet once a month? :) I think you will get an entirely different answer.

If you guys were meeting regularly and your child didn't get any Gold/Silver arrow points, i think that is a den leader problem for not tracking it. Of course they need to have earned their Wolf and Bear badge before they can receive arrow points, but arrow points electives start accruing June 1st when your kid becomes a wolf or a bear.

Requirements for wolf gold arrow are things like: Attend overnight camp with pack, read a book with your parents, make something (pinewood derby car hello!) etc. Even without trying every kid should have done 10 of those things during the year unless you have your children locked in a closet. If your kid makes 10 things over the course of the 12 months he is a wolf/bear, heck that is a Gold Arrow point or silver if he already has the gold.

I try to tell my parents to thumb through the electives once a month, it only takes five minutes. That way they can go "oh, Tommy brought home a drum he made at school last week".

Too bad the dens can't meet online. Or maybe someone could develop an app so the boys can complete their badges on their own. Then busy families would only have to attend pack meetings when their Scout is actually receiving the awards.