Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In our boy's dens, everyone paid dues up front for the supplies we might need. Special costs, everyone pitched in ahead of time. If people didn't pay, we didn't do. No problem. The boys really didn't mind just going out and playing catch.

The way my crew operates is that paying dues keeps you on the mailing list. Other stuff is on an individual basis.

Comment

first he is a boy.....so drop the he's purple pink or blue in color...... Yes the family dynamics are different as are priorities....

He is a scout.

Second, we have completely done away with any scout scholarship or camperships at the pack and troop level......the results were very poor and for the investment of $100 the pack and troop made in each boy for a shirt book and camp for the boys........One in about 25 ever stayed with the program.....a very poor return on the investment.

As a Committee chairman I would never spend Pack money on a scout to attend any camp if he has no attendance record. I would never take a cub level scout to a resident camp I did not know very well, if at all. So is he a theif, liar, medical issues.....What about the parents???? are they going on vacation while he is at camp????

You cannot exclude him, but what I did with a scout, I didn't like, trust and was a generally evil boy, was to make his parent attend with him.......Issue fixed they were going on vacation while he was at camp.

Comment

@Faith

1) On advancing the no-show boys, I would have told my CM they can do it. Unless the parents has recorded what the Scout has done, passing them to the next rank cheapens what the other boys in your den accomplished. What message does that send them let alone the kids who don't show and still get awards? Cub Scouts is not about the "trophies for everyone" mentality. I would put an end to that right now.

2) If they are not paying dues they should not benefit from your hard work and prep. I think sometimes people that that motto "for the boys" too far. If they want to attend parties or outings and they have not paid, simply deny them access. While that first encounter may be awkward, it will reinforce the many email and phone messages by saying you are serious and cannot be taken advantage of. That money you are spending is being robbed from YOUR own kids. Unless you are made of money, set your generosity aside and stay firm. Your kids will thank you and no one can question your dedication.

3) To avoid the confrontation the CM and the CC should be the ones to send the note and stand behind you. If they don't you have your answer. If that happens I would get with the parents in your Den that do support you and just let them know you cannot continue to fund no-shows who don't pay. They will support you and at the next event just tell the non-paying parents "sorry, but I just don't have the money to pay for your Scout AND mine." Let them complain, stomp and leave. It's YOUR hard-earned money they are stealing!!!

Comment

MB your forgetting that cubs advance based on Grade not completion of the previous rank....So they advance without receiving his past rank patch no biggy.

Comment

Originally posted by Basementdweller View Post
            MB your forgetting that cubs advance based on Grade not completion of the previous rank....So they advance without receiving his past rank patch no biggy.
            No I get that. But I thought I heard that Faith's Pack was giving these kids the patches too. If that is the case I personally would not want any part of that. If the CM wants to award it, let him do it. But I'd be looking for a different Pack for my kids.

Comment

Yes, our CM gave them their patches at the blue and gold ceremony. No, I did not agree with it. The next nearest pack is over an hour's drive away from us and sadly we cannot afford to travel there I did look into it awhile back. We have an amazing group otherwise (and the cubmaster who told me to do that is the one who recently stepped down.) I'm hoping the new cubmaster will not go that route. I already go rounds with my boss asking for the few hours off I need to attend here in town, throw in an extra 2 hours each day to get there and back and I just know it won't happen.

Comment

If the group is amazing the forget about it......

work the with the new CM and make sure she doesn't repeat her predecessors mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith View Post
                  Yes, our CM gave them their patches at the blue and gold ceremony. No, I did not agree with it. The next nearest pack is over an hour's drive away from us and sadly we cannot afford to travel there I did look into it awhile back. We have an amazing group otherwise (and the cubmaster who told me to do that is the one who recently stepped down.) I'm hoping the new cubmaster will not go that route. I already go rounds with my boss asking for the few hours off I need to attend here in town, throw in an extra 2 hours each day to get there and back and I just know it won't happen.
                  Sorry to hear you don't have options. Then work with the new CM like folks are saying and make sure they know your position. You simply cannot afford to keep paying for people who are leeching off of your good efforts. At some point they need to step up or step away.

Comment

We met tonight and he actually brought up the dues issue (and I hadn't said a word directly to him yet.) They said they viewed it as a failure overall (for multiple dens) and were going to cease with asking for it. I did not realize it was in a 'test' phase so that was good to hear. They said a more direct approach would be needed (if not from den level, pack level.) He also pointed out that many den leaders had to cover for members (glad to know it isn't just me, some of the other den leaders aren't as chatty so I wasn't sure on the full situations of course) and he did not what that to continue to be the case (if nothing else, a pay by case basis depending on how much is needed, how many show up, etc.) Glad to know we'll have options at least, I enjoyed his entire approach to the matters at hand tonight - straight forward and to the point.

Comment

• mozartbrau
                      mozartbrau commented
                      Editing a comment
                      @Faith, sounds like you have a good CM. Keep that line of communication open. Sounds like the Pack Committee will be addressing this issue since it affects more than one Den.

One thing I did back in the day was to have a meeting with my parents before the Scout year began. We would discuss the upcoming Wolf or Bear schedule, what events we wanted to do, projects, crafts, etc., and try to ball park how much they would cost. I would then put all of that on the schedule and assign different families to purchase the stuff for each mtg. The money was taken out of the Den fund. This way everyone had buy-in to the planning, the costs, the process and the execution. No one could ever say "I did not approve that" and they had a stake in the game by needing to buy something. This helped keep the parents involved. If you don't do something like this now maybe this will help. I will say that I still had folks not fully engage or forget, but I always had a back-up plan. This process did make life easier for me because no one could deny they were involved.

• Faith
                      Faith commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That is a wonderful suggestion mozartbrau, thank you! No, we do nothing like that. I'm still so new to all this, I'm learning new things everyday (better ways to do this or that.) I imagine with scouting I will always be learning something new, lol, but I greatly appreciate all the input this early on in my path with all this.

Our Pack charges annual Pack Dues of $40 per scout to cover the cost of awards, belt loops, pins, and handbooks/necker/slides for returning scouts. If a scout sells a miminum dollar amount of popcorn, he gets his annual dues for free. This approach works best for our Pack and we always have an adequate budget to fund the primary program. Money needed for den outings or den projects are collected at the den-level if the need arises.

Comment

Working...
                    X