Two Connecticut shooting victims were Tiger Cubs; here’s how to help

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/12/17/two-connecticut-shooting-victims-were-tiger-cubs-heres-how-to-help/

Article cut and pasted from above link

It breaks my heart to report that the horrendous school shooting in Connecticut has hit the Scouting family.

The Boy Scouts of America learned that two of the victims, 7-year-old Chase Kowalski and 6-year-old Benjamin Wheeler, were new Tiger Cub Scouts with Pack 170 in the Connecticut Yankee Council.

Three other families in Pack 170 lost children at the school, and Tiger Cub Den Leader Peter Baressi was a first responder hero who stayed with the families throughout the ordeal.

Victoria Soto, one of the heroic teachers who was killed, was an Explorer as a youth in Stratford EMS Post 4911.

When you live several states away from those in pain, its easy to feel helpless. In addition to keeping the families in your thoughts and prayers, Ive learned of an opportunity to send cards, letters and donations to those in mourning.

The Pack 170 leadership has asked Connecticut Yankee Council to set up a Memorial Fund to support the five families. Donations can be made out to Pack 170 Memorial Fund c/o Connecticut Yankee Council, P.O. Box 32, Milford, CT 06461.

Your family or your Scout unit may wish to send condolence cards and letters. Those can also be addressed to Pack 170″ c/o the Connecticut Yankee Council, P.O. Box 32, Milford, CT 06461.

After the jump, a letter from Wayne Brock.

Letter from Wayne Brock, Chief Scout Executive

To: National Board, Advisory Council, and our BSA family:

We are all struggling to come to grips with the tragic school shooting in Connecticut. I have the sad responsibility to report that this tragedy has also struck within the Scouting family.

Weve been informed two of the young victims, 7-year-old Chase Kowalski and 6-year-old Benjamin Wheeler, were new Tiger Cub Scouts with Pack 170 in the Connecticut Yankee Council. In addition, three of the victims were siblings of other boys in Pack 170. Victoria Soto, one of the hero teachers, was an Explorer as a youth.

Please join me in remembering these victims and families in your prayers.

We have been in touch with council leadership. The National Council is offering any support possible during this difficult time.

Working with the leadership of Pack 170, the Connecticut Yankee Council has established a memorial fund in support of the five families. If interested, donations, cards, and letters can be sent to the Pack 170 Memorial Fund, c/o Connecticut Yankee Council, P.O. Box 32, Milford, CT 06460

God bless everyone as we take a step back and think about the safety and well-being of our own families and loved ones in the midst of this national time of mourning.

Wayne Brock

This thinking is misguided and selfish. Scouts help other people. There were 20 children and 6 adults murdered. All their deaths affected us, not just those who had some connection to scouting. Great set up a fund to help but help the other families and community as well.

Damn I expected better from us.

My $0.02(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)

RS: You give me pause.

True enough, we need to reach out to all the grieving families, but very often, our family comes first.

I was reminded of a very important bit of advice from that icon of adulthood, Mister Rogers (how long was it , growing up, before you realized that your Kindergarten teacher's first name wasn't "Misses"?):

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.'

To this day, especially in times of 'disaster,' I remember my mother's words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers - so many caring people in this world".

It is , indeed , a Scout's first goal , to help. Like the doctor's credo to "first, do no wrong", it is a Scout's desire to help. Even when there is no real way to help, he/she should desire it. Sometimes the mere desire is sufficient, the knowledge that someone, somewhere wants to help , can get a person thru the worst of existance. Amnesty International and Child Fund come to mind, all invite letter writing and not merely sending money , altho that is also a good thing.

The Scout brotherhood is a touchstone for these folks in Connecticut and we can make sure our Scout brothers and sisters know they are not forgotten but, as RS reminds us, we are obligated by our SL and SP/O to "help other people at all times".

Perhaps this time , as ever, we need to think about how we can help even before the need is realized. We need to play the "what if " game more often, and seriously.

Maybe the Bushmaster company can be retooled to make school desks and computer cases and micro surgery "Waldos" and solar powered water pumps and....

RS

If your dissatisfaction motivates you to reach out and help all of them or lobby BSA to do so great! But do not let a less than perfect effort detract from doing something for someone.

How is this any different than when a long-term scouter dies and we want to give him special recognition. Do we not do so because other old men died that week and we are not recognizing them?

When Baden Powell died and Juliet Lowe died scouts turned out for their funerals and memorials.

I think it is OK to "take care of our own" as long as it doesn't stop there. The important thing is to take care of SOMEONE.

TT, A standalone death of one is a singular loss, this was a multiple murder in a community served by scouting. Some of those loss were or had been scouts, but we help others too. If the Scout Oath is not enough a reminder then consider the season.

Another $0.02,

(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)

Memorial funds can be set up to defray the costs to the families - funeral costs, unexpected burdens on the family, whatever is needed. At a minimum, it communicates to the families that "we care" and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

This whole matter is a tradegy and the heavy, heavy gravity of it goes beyond my comprehension. I get hearbroken when I think about it.

Any well-meaning response made by any organization or person, including the BSA, will never be perfect in a tradgedy of this magnitude. I appreciate the National Office of the BSA reaching out even if it risks critcism and even if the method may not be perfect.