Nice Roundup

Just finished up what I thought was a very successful cub roundup.

Our public schools dont let us in for boy talks. They do allow for fliers however. So, our only option was for a flier driven cub roundup at a local park. We put yard signs all over town and sent home fliers. We have also been doing some very high visibility activities like color guard for all the home H.S. football games.

We set up a pinewood derby, hotdogs, signs, and a half dozen or so tents. Along with a registration table with a ton of last years pictures, trophies, and books.

When I joined as a tiger leader last year we had a total of 5 active kids in the pack and three months later I was the Cub Master. I was able to recruit till the pack had hit 11 kids by this month.

Today we had 21 new boys sign up nearly tripling our packs size in four hours. Im stoked and a little apprehensive about handling that many kids. Im gonna need some more help for sure! Still excited to have 32 kids in the pack! So, given the right application and effort fliers can work.

I didn't want to overwhelm the adults right off the bat. I did have a few that signed up as volunteers on the spot. Even a couple with past leader experience that have seen the drastic changes in our pack and returned.

This pack had been misused for a while and quite a few people had left from boredom. A walking talking example of "kids vote with their feet" so to speak.

Anyway, Tuesday is a pack meeting and I'm planning a big adult talk for volunteers. Focusing on family and the short amount of time parents have to truly influence the development of their boys.

Also planning a camping trip and a council Halloween thing in the next month to get them out there, active, and hooked. Including BB Guns, Archery, and slingshots of course. ;)