What does your committee chair do?

As I posted in my introduction, I was nominated into the committee chair position by a very tricksy CM. I am meeting with the former CC and the CM next week, where they are supposed to give me the information on what she did and how she did it. There are some things that I'm sure I'll change, and there are things that I'll probably not mess with, but.....

My question is this: what does your CC do? What responsibilities fall under that heading? Are there things you wish your CC would step up and do, or are there things that the CC should keep his nose out of?

I don't want to step on toes, nor do I want to seem clueless...so I figure that the more information I walk in to the meeting with, the better off I'll be...kwim?

Our CC is pretty well the co-leader of the pack with the CM. It is a very big role.

She's involved in coordinating and scheduling pack level activities. She's involved in 'leading' the pack parents and keeping them engaged and informed. She's involved in recruiting and getting trained leaders.

As I said, our CC is basically the co-leader with the CM. The CM is more boy focused, and the CC more program planning focused, but they are a visible team.

I think this tends to vary a lot, but we sure appreciate our CC!

-Sean(This message has been edited by jrdalys)

I suggest that if you are at all interested in taking on this position that you take the required basic training online first.

https://myscouting.scouting.org/

Basic training for the Committee Chair position is -

Youth Protection

This Is Scouting

Pack Committee Fast Start

Leader Position Specific for Pack Committee

You can find information on what BSA considers the responsibilities of the Pack Committee Chair here -

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/AboutCubScouts/ThePack/pcomm.aspx

It states the responsibilities are -

Maintain a close relationship with the chartered organization representative, keeping this key person informed of the needs of the pack that must be brought to the attention of the organization or the district.

Report to the chartered organization to cultivate harmonious relations.

Confer with the Cubmaster on policy matters relating to Cub Scouting and the chartered organization.

Supervise pack committee operation by

Calling and presiding at pack leaders' meetings.

Assigning duties to committee members.

Planning for pack charter review, roundup, and reregistration.

Approving bills before payment by the pack treasurer.

Conduct the annual pack program planning conference and pack leaders' meetings.

Complete pack committee Fast Start Training and Basic Leader Training for the position.

Ask the committee to assist with recommendations for Cubmaster, assistant Cubmasters, Tiger Cub den leaders, Cub Scout den leaders, and Webelos den leaders, as needed.

Recognize the need for more dens, and see that new dens are formed as needed.

Work with the chartered organization representative to provide adequate and safe facilities for pack meetings.

Cooperate with the Cubmaster on council-approved money-earning projects so the pack can earn money for materials and equipment.

Manage finances through adequate financial records.

Maintain adequate pack records and take care of pack property.

If the Cubmaster is unable to serve, assume active direction of the pack until a successor is recruited and registered.

Appoint a committee member or other registered adult to be responsible for Youth Protection training.

Provide a training program for adult family members.

Develop and maintain strong pack-troop relationships, sharing with the troop committee the need for graduations into the troop.

Work closely with the unit commissioner and other pack and troop leaders in bringing about a smooth transition of Webelos Scouts into the troop.

Help bring families together at joint activities for Webelos dens (or packs) and Boy Scout troops.

Support the policies of the BSA.

Some of these things can be accomplished by recruiting committee members to do them, such as, a Treasurer, Secretary, Pack Trainer, etc.

Scoutnut is correct.

But I'll also give it to you in layman's term that I used at a pack campout when a parent asked me who was in charge: Me (CubMaster) or the CC.

I told her we both were. The CC handles the buisness and administrative side of te pack, while I handle the program and events of the pack.

Basically, I do the fun stuff while the CC does the boring stuff! :)

CC

Yea, what 'nut and 'fish both said is correct. As a CC/COR myself you also handle problems among the unit leaders, as well as work with the CM if there are problems with parents or unruly scouts. Basically you make sure your unit has what it needs in place to deliver a great program. You are like the business manager of a small company handling all the paperwork and making sure your CM and den leaders are doing their jobs the right way. Good Luck.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Scoutnut, I have done the training. I have an idea of what the BSA would like a CC to do, but I appreciate your input.

I guess I am searching more for a "what our guy does" than a "what is in the rules book" kind of answer. Some groups(I've been told) have the CC only chair meetings, and some groups have the CC work hand in hand with the CM.

I will be the type that works with CM, and will take on whatever responsibilities that he needs me to handle. And I'm the type of person who has to have everything in its place and all the I's need to be dotted and the T's need to be crossed and I need to know everything and have a plan and.. Well, you get the idea. The poor CM, he has no idea what I'm like... /shakes head

Basically, in my pack:

The CC does alot of running arouind. He handles the recharter, making sure leaders have YPT and that their paperwork is up to date and all I's are dotted and all T's crossed.

He works with vendors to secure foods and such for campouts, he works with thebtreasuerer to get necessary equipment for thre pack. At pack meetings, he goes over a list of dates for events, letting folks know they need to pay for this, submit forms for that, what PWD rules are ,. etc...

As a CM< I work on the program the boys get, I work with my leaders to make sure they don't sound like Ben Stein during den meetings: "Bueller..Bueller...Bueller..." :)

I also answer the many questions my DL's have about wether they can do this or that, what to do about awards, rank, beltloops, etc.

While the CC makes sure they have YPT, I make sure they have iot too as well as any traing for thir rank as well as going to pow wows. BALOO, getting all leaders first aid/CPR/AED trained, working on themes for pack campouts, den meeting activities, and then the rteally important stuff: Making sure the boys just have alot of fun while learning.

Now, there are black and white lines, but also so very gray ones too. AS long as the two of you get along, and neither one of you is burdoned while the other is hardly doing anything...then just do what works for you and the pack!

I can't add much to what these guys have posted already. But I will tell you this: when done right (which I am sure you will), it's a BIG job. And make sure you get along with, or at least are able to work very well with, your cubmaster.

Our CC is awesome. But I also know it's a big job, specially during re-charter.

What is "in the rule books" IS what a CC should be doing.

If you have taken the trainings, and know what a CC SHOULD be doing, what difference does it make what other CC's, in other Packs, are doing?

Not every BSA unit is run correctly. Not everything you are told will be correct.

Why would you agree to take a job when you do not plan on doing what "the rules" require of you? Would you do that in your paid job? If you did, how long would you expect to keep it?

Work with your Charter Organization, and your Cubmaster. Do the job that BSA expects of you to the best of your ability, and you, and your Pack, will be in fine shape.

It can be very helpful to the CM if the CC becomes the "go-to" person for the parents, especially at busy Pack events where the CM is trying to focus on conducting the event and interacting with the scouts. Parents should learn to take their questions about recharter, fundraising, payments, advancements, etc. to the CC, who will answer them directly or steer them to the responsible person as necessary.

The CM is busy enough with planning and executing the program as it relates to the scouts (at the Pack- and Den-level). A good CC keeps on top of the administrative side of the program so that the CM can stay focused.

A good CC makes sure the program finances are in order. This requires regular coordination with the Treasurer as well as coordination of fundraising events (hopefully consulting with another parent or two who are heading up the fundraiser).

A good CC makes sure the Pack paperwork is in order, such as rechartering and submitting youth and adult applications.

A good CC makes sure Pack events are on-track logistically, making reservations for the event or facility, ensuring a tour plan gets submitted if necessary, coordinating sign-ups, etc.

A good CC plays a vital role in adult volunteer selection/recruitment. Since the CC is more "behind-the-scenes" than the CM at events it provides the CC with built-in opportunities to socialize with the parents and speak with them about volunteering for specific needs. For the CM this must usually be done after events or outside of events, which is a bit more difficult.

ScoutNut wrote: "Why would you agree to take a job when you do not plan on doing what "the rules" require of you? Would you do that in your paid job? If you did, how long would you expect to keep it? "

In my past and current paid jobs if I only did what the "rules" (job description) stated and didn't learn about or do the little extra unwritten things that were expected of me then I think I would have been in trouble.

I discover those extra things by observing or asking my coworkers. I think CCbytrickery is taking a similar approach here, and will be better off for it.

You aren't very smart if you know your going to butt heads with the CM and take the job anyhow...........

the CM takes care of Program

the CC takes care of administration and finances.

I don't want my CC putting on a song and dance at the Pack meeting, I don't need him making program decisions. I do need him to manage fundraising, recharter, committee.

If your going to step on his toes and bully him or her don't take the job.

>>"In my past and current paid jobs if I only did what the "rules" (job description) stated and didn't learn about or do the little extra unwritten things that were expected of me then I think I would have been in trouble."

ScoutNut wrote: "True, but at least you ARE DOING your job description. Did you learn about the "little extras" by polling other companies?"

I learned about them from my coworkers. I guess I consider all of our different Packs as groups or departments of the same BSA organization, and to me it seems like a great idea for one CC to ask other CCs about the nuances of the position.

I could be reading it wrong, but it seems like CCbytrickery is trying to avoid conflict with the CM rather than create it. Also being "the type of person who has to have everything in its place and all the I's need to be dotted and the T's need to be crossed" is a good trait for the position, in my opinion. Attention to detail is important in all of the leadership positions.