Fun Games for 1st Pack Meeting

I (new CM) will be holding our first Pack Meeting later on next month. We (hopefully) will have several new Scouts in attendance. I plan on giving out a few awards from activites that some of the Scouts did over the summer (Day camp, etc), recognizing new Scouts/Den Leaders, and holding a brief "business session" for parents. I'm also planning on having a few games up my sleeve to occupy the boys while Mom, Dad, and I talk about parental involvment etc.

I've got dozens of past, sample, and draft agendas and think I have the business part taken care of, we have a long standing tradition regarding our flag ceremony, color guard, etc. The only thing I'm unsure of is the game period. I'd like for it to last AT LEAST 30 minutes. I'm planning on "needle in a haystack" with peppermint sticks, maybe a sack race, and ballon stampede. I was also thinking about telling our Webelos to "look out" for our Tigers and new Wolves. Anything else sound fun? Any good experiences that enforce temawork without being too competetive.

Thanks!

Our pack have the scouts go outside with the Webelos Coach (me) and the Assistant Den Leaders, and the Den Chiefs. We play Capture the Flag. I usually tell everyone to get a buddy from their den. Then I have one buddy on one team, and the other on the other team. It is a fast way to make up teams. The Tiger Scouts do not really know what they are doing, but have fun running around. I have the Den Chiefs look after them.

Everyone seems to have fun and it is a game that 1st graders can play with 5th graders.

Try playing the minute game.

Equipment: Stop watch, Boys, 2 assistant observers.

How to play: Have all the boys stand up. Tell them when to start and have them sit down when they think a minute has passed. make sure that you are able to give some kind of suddle signal to your other obsrevers as to when a minute has passed. let the stop watch go to about 1minute and 20 seconds. See which boys sits down closest to a minute.

You will see a bunch of little bobbing heads and silent counting. You will also see a bunch of boys sit down just because the other do. My Cubs love this game. I think I may try it at a pack meeting and see how the parents fair against the Cubs.