How to do bear elective 12h - making a bird caller?

Our den is completing elective 12 as part of our World Conservation Award. I'm stumped by 12h - making a bird caller. I've bought hardwood and screw eye, and tried making a sound - first without any lubricant, then using bowling resin. No success. What's the trick?

Thanks!

Rob

Find someones Grandpa who is a devoted hunter and have them bring their calls and an easy one to make. Bring him in to teach it. You might be as amazed as when we had a "grandpa" on a scout camp out and he called the turkeys right thru the camp site. I admit even I was pretty amazed.

I have an easier one. They did it at a Nature center.

Take a 35mm film canister (what's that?). you may ne able to go to a film developer and get a bunch.

Punch a hole in the end with a nail.

Insert a coffee/drink stir (the one that looks like a tiny straw- single hole). Only put in a little ways so it is still covered by the canister.

Toot into it.

Takes some practicing but when it works you can hear it vibrate and it's supposed to be a turkey call.

• 2 months later...

Here is how my Den made a bird call that worked:

We follow the direction in the Bear book but here are the details it leaves out:

Large Chunky screw eyes (I mean large I purchased 3 inch long screw eyes that were 3/8 inch width at the base) I uses a 1/4 inch drill bit to get it started into the wood

Large dowel (Cut into however many pieces you need)

Rosin(I found in the bowling alley pro-shop) they are bags for drying your hands.(we just puff the screw eye with the bag)

You don't need to inset the screw eye very far. Just a turn back and forth and it worked!!

Good luck!!

Stef