Conservation Project Ideas

I am looking for some conservation project ideas to do with the Cub Scouts. I was thinking of things that can be done at council facilities. These projects are for Leave No Trace and CS World Conservation Award.

A couple of things our pack has done (and still does annually):

1) Beach cleanup - if you don't have a beach, public park / trails day clean-up. Get w/ your local city Parks dept. they can help set it up and organize it. Then make sure the local PAPER knows about it. Get your kids in the community section doing something good for your city while in uniform.

2) Planted ground cover / ice plant on slopes for our grade school that we use as a meeting location. Its a win-win. Helps prevent soil errosion, plus the kids will protect it, not tear it up if they are the ones who planted it.

3) We got with a park ranger on a family pack campout and arranged to plant some native trees on the perimeter of the group camping area. State park supplied the trees (so they got what they wanted / needed) and we supplied the labor.

Hope these ideas help.

YiS,

Dean

Our town has an annual town cleanup day, somewhere around the time of Earth Day each year.

Volunteers choose sections of town, and pickup supplies (trash bags, gloves, water, snackage, etc -- all donated) and then return with full trash bags (hazardous waste, or large items are called in). I did this with a small group of Cub Scouts this last year, and hope to expand the horizons again this year.

It doesn't take much -- drop by a public playground (or school, or senior center), and pick up trash. You could argue that this should be the responsibility of the town's public works employees, but I think they are so understaffed and underfunded, they appreciate any help they do get.

The first time I participated in the townwide cleanup day, the organizer told me something interesting: when asked where we should help out, she said "I always recommend people go to an area that they live near, or frequent, or see all that time -- that way, the benefit is tangible."

Anywhere you can go to pick up trash, it's a conservation project. I walked home from school with my son once last year, and we filled a garbage bag by the time we were halfway home. People are disgusting.

On council property, there's probably not much trash, though. (At least, I hope.)

Ask your council's camp ranger for suggestions. What needs done? Invasive weeds? That's a problem we have around here. And if there's no ideas for your council's camp property, ask your DE.

One thing for sure, tho, there's always work to do.

We do leave no trace guidelines before fall & spring camporee. We recycle materials to use in crafts and we always clean up our park area on camping events when we do our hiking. We do bird ,fish and leaf identification.. Animal tracks- conservation ideas could come from your local Lowe's they have wood workshops free to children twice monthly- They have had planters with the seeds , bird and squirrel feeders and derby cars, trucks , castles and lots of other crafts and they recieve patches also. Sometimes they have demonstrations from the co Dremmel for Derby cars. You may also help with a local gardening club, grow and donate to retirement home , or local zoo if you grow veggies or a soup kitchen. Also the boys could make bird feeders for the trees in the winter...contact nursery volunteer to plant trees, flower beds at local church, nursing home or school. Contact your local park to help clean up ponds or playgrounds.ArborDayFoundation.org- trees for $10 pledge

Here are some ideas from an Insane Scouter ;) take them however you wish ;)

1) Cub Scouts can help a Scout Troop with a larger project. Check with Troops in your area and see what they may have going on. Just ensure the Cubs can safely do the project.

2) See if there are an Scouts ready to do there Eagle project - I don't know of many that would turn down extra help. Just as above though ensure the Cubs can safely do the project.

3) Contact some local agencies for example there is a park in the city I live in ran by the state. If Scouts do a service project they can fish in the lake for free and get free entrance to the park. The BLM and Forest Service is often looking for help ask them other then trash pick up how your Scouts maybe able to help them. Contact a local zoo, animal shelter, retirement home, museum, nature conservatory, etc and ask them what they may have for the Scouts to help with.

4) Talk to other Scout Leaders and see what they may know of

I will add to this list if I think of more later ...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

The last three years, our pack has worked with our local government conservation organization on suitable projects to participate in. Last spring, we helped plant 1000 trees as a windbreak around a local cemetery. In past years, we have planted 1100 trees along a creek to help prevent erosion and have cleared brush around a lake. Each of these projects was well within the capabilities of even the youngest Wolf, and we've even had Tigers help out, even though they could not earn the WCA.

Things our pack has done or what's available in out area:

*Work at Nature center trimming shrubs/cleanup ir building bird houses

*Take hikes and bring gloves and trash bags and pick up trash during hike

*Adopt garden at elem school and weed and plant throughout the year

* weed or pick up trash where your den or pack meetings are held

* hold a recycling drive (not sure if this is considered conservation but it is good for a Good turn)

some local townships have Earth day projects of planting and weeding in parks in spring.

also ours camps have trail balzing projects to help clear trails every year.(more on boy scouts level)

• 3 months later...

Google National Trails Day. In our community there are two, one this weekend and one in September. This is my favorite service project we do.

We also have done city Wide trash pickup, city wide creek cleanup, sponsored a local park, and planted trees for the city at a different park.

We find if we change the activities the boys learn more and we get better attendence.

Its fun to call around to find opportunities, everyone looooves cub scouts looking for service.

Good luck and have fun.

• 1 year later...

Hello, Every year my pack participates in a "Warm Clothing Drive" in conjunction with our school district. Families drop off clothes and we give them away to the less fortunate, as an effort to recycle clothes. My scouts are there every night sorting through bags of clothes, folding and hanging them up. Does this qualify for a "world conservation project?"

Our Pack adopted a park from our cities Parks Department. 3 organized clean-ups a year.

Also, anytime we do an outing we take a few garbage bags along and at the end of the program we send the Cubbies out with the garbage bags to practice leave no trace.

Thank you for doing your good turn and being a particiapting citizen in your community.

I am going to say no on a clothing drive for the world conservation award. The reason for the no is if you look at the requirements it includes things such as fishing, grow something, weather, birds and soil and water. While a clothing drive is worthy, I don't believe it is in the spirit and vein of the award.

Thank you for doing your good turn and being a particiapting citizen in your community.

I am going to say no on a clothing drive for the world conservation award. The reason for the no is if you look at the requirements it includes things such as fishing, grow something, weather, birds and soil and water. While a clothing drive is worthy, I don't believe it is in the spirit and vein of the award.