I am the Webelos 1 leader for my Pack (I know Webelos are Webelos, there are no 1's or 2's), and I have a boy who is in 4th grade and was held back a year. He is currently 10 and will be 11 on July 14 of next year.

My question is what is the age limit for Cub Scouts?

When do boys have to move up to Boy Scouts?

I am trying to figure out if we need to have a special program for him so that he can reach AOL before he has to cross over.

FWIW, his mother and I held EagleSon back in K, to allow him the extra year of socialization as he grew up.

Our Council had no problem re-registering him as a Cub Scout in 2001, knowing his birthday was in late May and that he'd be 11. That was 4 years before internet recharter though.

I'd talk directly to your Council registrar and your DE. In general, I think keeping classmates together a good thing.

I have already spoken with the council registrar and she told me that once he is 11 that he has to move up. However, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, I have several boys in the correct age/grade that have birthdays in October, that would mean they had to crossover before the end of their Web. 2 year.

There has be something in writing some where to spells this out. Personally I thought if you didn't turn 12 during the current scouting year you could stay.

Scouting.org says this:

"How old (or young) can a boy be to join Cub Scouting?

Cub Scouting is for boys in the first through fifth grades, or 7 to 10 years of age. Boys who are older than 10, or who have completed the fifth grade, can no longer join Cub Scouting, but they may be eligible to join the Boy Scouting or Venturing program."

Now - if the boy is already a Cub Scout, he is not joining. Hopefully someone else will stop by with further clarification.

Personally - I would keep the boy a Cub Scout with his friends, and let him bridge at the Grade appropriate time.

Your council registrar is incorrect. According to the Cub Scout Leader Book a boy can stay in Cub Scouts until he is 11.5 years old - OR - he finishes 5th grade - Whichever is LATER.

In your case the 4th grade Webelos does not need any special accommodations made for him. He can stay a Cub Scout until he finishes 5th grade.

Several years ago joining and advancement requirements for Cub Scouting were changed to a grade basis (with age as backup). As a refresher, here are some age/grade requirements. The idea was to keep boys together in Dens who were together in classes. Keep in mind that grade is the primary determination and age is the backup (note the word "or"):

* TIGER CUBS -- In the first grade, (or 7 years old)

* CUB SCOUTS (Wolves and Bears) -- In the second and third grade, (or 8 or 9 years old)

* WEBELOS SCOUTS -- In the fourth and fifth grade, (or 10 years old)

* ARROW OF LIGHT -- Six months since completing the fourth grade, or six months since turning 10.

* BOY SCOUTS -- Completed the fifth grade, or age 11, or have earned the Arrow of Light.

(This message has been edited by docrwm)

OGE,

It's not just 14.

It's 14 AND COMPLETED THE EIGHTH GRADE, or 15.

Trust me on that. EagleSon was 14+ right up to the end of his eighth grade year. He joined his Crew about a week after school let out, about two weeks after his 15th birthday.

Yesterday evening, after seeing that the registrar was obviously wrong, I called the guy who is handling the DE position (we don't have a DE right now) and he said that finishing the 5th grade was the cut off.

He also went on to say that if the boy, parents, and I wanted to put him on an accelerated program we could but we didn't have too. In fact he said if the boy was 15 and still hadn't finished the 5th grade he could still be a Cub Scout.

Thanks for the info ladies and gents.