Spanish-speaking parents

Last night 4 new cub scouts showed up at the den meetings, from three primarily Spanish-speaking families. We deperately need more involved parents, but how can we get them to volunteer when there's a language barrier between them and many of the boys and leaders? A significant number of our families do speak both Spanish and English, but some of us don't.

Also, do you know if there are cub scout handbooks available in Spanish? The kids are learning English in school, but their parents may not be able to help them with their achievements in English.

Cub Scout books are available in Spanish for Tiger and Wolf Scouts. I think the Bear and Webelos will be coming out soon.

http://www.scouting.org/media/press/041029/

Here is a slightly dated listing of BSA literature in Spanish.

http://www.scoutingvalelapena.org/literature.e.html

My only advice is to use your bilingual resources to communicate until their English improves. There are plenty of jobs parents can do without opening their mouths (set up, clean up, material gathering, etc.), maybe have them say the pledge of allegiance in spanish, or help put together a fiesta blue & gold, give a presentation on their old country. Put your mind to it and discuss with them (even through an interpreter) and the possibilities will present themselves.(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

What a great opportunity!

Interpreter strips anyone?

I do not speak Spanish, but my wife does. I use her when needed to help out in those instances. It seems that if you have more than one or two bi-lingual parents/leaders, it is more a matter of finding simple accomodation.

I agree with SemperP. that there are a ton of things that can be done without strong language skills, much less a minor problem like translation. It may be difficult for them to be Den Leaders or such unless the boys all speak Spanish, but nearly any other job (including Cubmaster) would simply need occasional translations.

Good luck.

Contact your District Executive at Council and ask him/her for the Spanish/English books for Tigers, Cubs, Webelos, New Leaders, and How To Books. The rank books will give your parents the ability to follow along with their sons requirements and help them advance. And the How to Books give them the opportunity to lead a project with the den or pack.

They may or may not be FREE at your site but if they are ask for a few extras to keep for future use. It's great a resource to have around so that everyone can be involved!