Central New Jersey Council dissolving

Due to financial problems, the Central New Jersey Executive Council decided to dissolve their council and transfer units to adjoining councils (to be completed Dec 31,2013). No word on council properties (Yards Creek Scout Reservation)

http://www.cnjcscouting.org/index.php/download_file/view/802/1/

http://www.cnjcscouting.org/about/strategic-plan/

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latest update went on Facebook yesterday based on Thursday nights board meeting:

Warren County (Pahaquarra District): to Minisi Trails Council, which is mostly a PA (Pocono/Lehigh Valley) council but does have a presence in Warren County (Phillipsburg)

Hunterdon County (also Pahaquarra Dist) and Mercer County (Mercer Area Dist): to Bucks County Council (PA). Obviously a name change will be needed.

The Middlesex County districts (Joyce Kilmer and Mattameechen Dists) will remain in council for at least another month.

Yards Creek will be sold off, unless Friends of YCSR can raise enough to buy it outright.

• 2 weeks later...

To add insult to injury, the best option for Matameechen District and Joyce Kilmer District (both southern/eastern geographically) was to join Monmouth Council which adjoins our districts. Unfortunately, Monmouth Council has refused to accept our districts, calling them "not financially viable". My Troop and Pack have one of the highest youth particpation rates in the communties we serve, but our district is not "viable". We may become orphans soon..... and I have been in this district since 1968!

Why?

Because it makes no sense to have a council named for one Pennsylvania county when it now serves two NJ counties. It's insulting to their scouts and scouters: "you guys are hangers on and second class citizens compared to those of us actually living in Bucks County".

Too bad they didn't give Laurel Highlands Council a call, we love gerrymanders!
Here are more details on my Council's latest acquisition ...

http://lhc-bsa.org/Potomac%20Merger

"The Laurel Highlands Council, headquartered in Pittsburgh, once combined with the Potomac Council will encompass 16 counties in three states and serve nearly 30,000 youth. With over 30 professionals and 15 support staff working in the organization, it is certainly our goal to improve programming throughout this region, and to revitalize Scouting in our area."

On the bright side: our jaunts to Dolly Sods will now be in-council trips -- if that means anything.

Why?

Because it makes no sense to have a council named for one Pennsylvania county when it now serves two NJ counties. It's insulting to their scouts and scouters: "you guys are hangers on and second class citizens compared to those of us actually living in Bucks County".

Pardon me for recycling comments across threads ...

that's just "girl talk." Any scouter who talks like that oughta have his mamma wash his mouth out with soap until he can say "friendly, courteous, kind" through the bubbles.

Bucks is a fine name for a council, and if your CO's are fine with adopting it, there's no point in wasting letterhead.

Why?

It's not like the two councils are merging. BCC is taking on two new districts. Should they also change the name of the OA lodge to accomodate the new members? Did America change names when new states joined The Union?

If the new additions to BCC are that thin skinned to be insulted by the name of their new council, they have bigger issues.

Is it safe to assume you are one of the districts coming over to BCC?

Respectfully, qwazse, didn't see any comment worthy of the soap-in-mouth cure. And gsdad, perhaps you might think again about your comparisons - in this case, the scouts and scouters of these districts are being jettisoned by their Council leadership, not voluntarily electing to affiliate with a new council. Even the thickest skinned Scouters might just get a little riled up when told, in effect, "we're shipping you off to some new hierarchy that is in another state, whom you don't know, likely has different customs, traditions and practices, and likely is taking you on reluctantly". That would rile up anyone, and that IS what is happening now to a huge group of scouts in Central NJ.

Why?

No, I'm from PPC, one of the surrounding councils.

qwaze, "Bucks Council" might work.

gsdad, I'm not aware of any precedent in the BSA for a council with a specific geographic name to retain it after merging/acquiring additional territory if the name did not apply.

I don't expect Minisi Trails to necessarily change names as the name refers to the Lenape, who lived on both sides of the river.

As far as the OA, I don't think there'll be any need to change the name, but that is obviously a decision of the lodge and its members, new and old. The lodge totem is a buck, but hey we have those in NJ, as well. It would be interesting to see if they can resurrect Lodge #2 as before the original CNJ merger, 2 came from the Mercer/Hunterdon area. Maybe say we're now Ajapeu #2 instead of Ajapeu #33.

Respectfully, qwazse, didn't see any comment worthy of the soap-in-mouth cure. And gsdad, perhaps you might think again about your comparisons - in this case, the scouts and scouters of these districts are being jettisoned by their Council leadership, not voluntarily electing to affiliate with a new council. Even the thickest skinned Scouters might just get a little riled up when told, in effect, "we're shipping you off to some new hierarchy that is in another state, whom you don't know, likely has different customs, traditions and practices, and likely is taking you on reluctantly". That would rile up anyone, and that IS what is happening now to a huge group of scouts in Central NJ.
The feedback from the Scouters I've spoken with has been nothing more than appreciative. None of them expect BCC to change the name. Some current BCC Scouters suggested changing it to Washington's Crossing Council, but that is typical since most of the Council seems to forget there are disctricts west of Rte 611. As you can probably tell I am a member of BCC. This is not a merger, it is simply opening(willingly) the doors for displaced Scouts and Scouters.

Typically I believe when Councils Dissolve or Merge All Lodges in The Old Councils will Merge into one Lodge..Youth Membership will continue to Work Together for a Period set Forth By the New Councils Scout Executive as Co Councils..Youth Membership from all Merged Lodges will Vote on New Lodge Name, Totem and Number..Once Voted on and Decided They will be Submit to National OA for Approval

Items to consider in this process are:

1. The council Scout executive of the new council should appoint a lodge adviser and a lodge staff

adviser for the new merged lodge.

2. Current lodge officers should fulfill their responsibilities jointly until the election of new officers. There is nothing wrong with having co-chiefs or co-vice chiefs during the transition period. (I have seen 6 to 11 Months Listed for Mergers)

3. The name and totem of the new merged lodge should be determined. (Any combination of the former

lodge names and totems may be considered, as well as new ones.)

4. An organizational plan should be developed to fulfill the responsibilities of the new merged lodge in the

new council. (Lodge Rules should be written and approved by the council Scout executive.)

5. Scheduled lodge meetings and activities should be completed while merging the calendars and

establishing dates for officer elections and activities of the merged lodge.

Typically I believe when Councils Dissolve or Merge All Lodges in The Old Councils will Merge into one Lodge..Youth Membership will continue to Work Together for a Period set Forth By the New Councils Scout Executive as Co Councils..Youth Membership from all Merged Lodges will Vote on New Lodge Name, Totem and Number..Once Voted on and Decided They will be Submit to National OA for Approval

1. The council Scout executive of the new council should appoint a lodge adviser and a lodge staff

2. Current lodge officers should fulfill their responsibilities jointly until the election of new officers. There is nothing wrong with having co-chiefs or co-vice chiefs during the transition period. (I have seen 6 to 11 Months Listed for Mergers)

3. The name and totem of the new merged lodge should be determined. (Any combination of the former

4. An organizational plan should be developed to fulfill the responsibilities of the new merged lodge in the

new council. (Lodge Rules should be written and approved by the council Scout executive.)

5. Scheduled lodge meetings and activities should be completed while merging the calendars and

But that is not the case. Two Councils aren't merging. One is dissolving and the Districts are being taken on by seperate neighboring Councils. There is no reason to change the name of anything.

Well Each Council can Only have 1 Lodge...So The Dissolved Council will no longer have a Lodge.

The Dissolved Councils Districts ending up in Different Councils will result in The Youth Membership on Voting on Any Changes in their Current Lodge. They Could Change Names, They Could Change from a Lodge with No Chapters to Multiple Chapters, They Could Change Lodge Totems reflecting the New Regions Etc....