Blue Angels announce return in 2015, Minnesota Council says no thank you.

2015 Blue Angels air show schedule was announced.

http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/media...131203_001.pdf

There is no Portsmouth,NH date which had been a big fundraiser for Daniel Webster Council. There are other New England visits to Brunswick,ME , Westover ARB, MA, and North Kingston,RI.

One surprise was to hear a council reject hosting the Blue Angels air show at St, Cloud,MN because it is scheduled for July 4-5 (ka-ching, ka-ching, $$$) ...we're too busy ???? What is there some critical Wood Badge activity in 18 months? Sure would be an embarassment if an alternative scout group stepped up!

http://wjon.com/blue-angels-returnin...july-4th-2015/

As I understand, the Navy saved $4 billion in cancelling Blue Angels air shows during the mandatory budget cuts of sea-of-frustration (sp?).

My $0.01

A Scout council hosts the Blue Angels air show? Something doesn't sound right. I work for the Navy in the Navy capitol of the world, and the word on the street is there will be more DOD sequester cuts in FY14, including massive layoffs of civilians, contractors and military personnel. SECDEF Hagel just announced he is cutting Pentagon staff and contractors by $1 billion. And that's just within the Pentagon building itself. He is also studying the elimination of Commissaries, which is pretty radical. The Blue Angels is an active fighter squadron, so they will have to keep their flying skills sharp. But I would not expect a full schedule as in the past. The only alternative is to decommission the squadron.

There is no Portsmouth,NH date which had been a big fundraiser for Daniel Webster Council. There are other New England visits to Brunswick,ME , Westover ARB, MA, and North Kingston,RI.

One surprise was to hear a council reject hosting the Blue Angels air show at St, Cloud,MN because it is scheduled for July 4-5 (ka-ching, ka-ching, $$$) ...we're too busy ???? What is there some critical Wood Badge activity in 18 months? Sure would be an embarassment if an alternative scout group stepped up!

As I understand, the Navy saved $4 billion in cancelling Blue Angels air shows during the mandatory budget cuts of sea-of-frustration (sp?).

My $0.01

I'm located within walking distance of the home base of the Blue Angels. They saved $28 million out of a normal annual budget of $40 million by not flying for most of the season. Not sure about the Boy Scouts and sponsoring an airshow. Sounds strange to me like it does to Papadaddy.

My $0.01

I'm located within walking distance of the home base of the Blue Angels. They saved $28 million out of a normal annual budget of $40 million by not flying for most of the season. Not sure about the Boy Scouts and sponsoring an airshow. Sounds strange to me like it does to Papadaddy.

Thanks for the correction. Cutting their 2013 season saved $28 million. Total cuts for the Navy was around $4 billion. Whew, or am I wrong again?
There is no Portsmouth,NH date which had been a big fundraiser for Daniel Webster Council.

Thanks, but No thanks... Don't get me wrong, loved them coming, in 5 to 10 years would love to have them back, but it was too much to fast.. We were suppose to host them one year, have a break for a year, then host them again..

The first year did the scouts in, because the council was not prepared for such a large turn-out.. Council abused their service, 5 hours service then half a day off to enjoy part of the show turned into 10 hours of service with no breaks and expecting them to put in the same time the next day.. Our troop worked half the 2nd day then walked out when their volunteer shift officially ended. On top of that they promised to cater for the scouts who volunteered, they gave them nothing for lunch (go find it yourself on some 1/2 hour break).. Then Dinner was really, really bad.. hockey puck.. They were promised water & outhouses at the camp area.. It turned out to be one garden hose, and not enough outhouses for the people there..

The 2nd year was not the Blue Angels, it was an air force show but not Blue Angels.. They saw the turnout of our first year and somehow got the council to agree to run a show during the year we were to have a break.. Scouts did not want to volunteer for 2nd year, even though Council promised better, no one trusted them. I heard it was better, but don't know who they got to volunteer.

By the 3rd year everyone was really, really tired of it, more scouts volunteered, having heard they had improved treatment of the volunteer force the year before, but after 3 years in a row those who came to the show had dwindled.. The first year it had been like 15 years since they came to our neck of the woods, by the 3rd year people had seen them or thought it would be yearly and they could catch it next year if they wanted to..

Daniel Webster Council (at least the volunteers in DWC) are happy for a break in the air shows.. I am sure the paid execs would love the income.

There is no Portsmouth,NH date which had been a big fundraiser for Daniel Webster Council.

Thanks, but No thanks... Don't get me wrong, loved them coming, in 5 to 10 years would love to have them back, but it was too much to fast.. We were suppose to host them one year, have a break for a year, then host them again..

The first year did the scouts in, because the council was not prepared for such a large turn-out.. Council abused their service, 5 hours service then half a day off to enjoy part of the show turned into 10 hours of service with no breaks and expecting them to put in the same time the next day.. Our troop worked half the 2nd day then walked out when their volunteer shift officially ended. On top of that they promised to cater for the scouts who volunteered, they gave them nothing for lunch (go find it yourself on some 1/2 hour break).. Then Dinner was really, really bad.. hockey puck.. They were promised water & outhouses at the camp area.. It turned out to be one garden hose, and not enough outhouses for the people there..

The 2nd year was not the Blue Angels, it was an air force show but not Blue Angels.. They saw the turnout of our first year and somehow got the council to agree to run a show during the year we were to have a break.. Scouts did not want to volunteer for 2nd year, even though Council promised better, no one trusted them. I heard it was better, but don't know who they got to volunteer.

By the 3rd year everyone was really, really tired of it, more scouts volunteered, having heard they had improved treatment of the volunteer force the year before, but after 3 years in a row those who came to the show had dwindled.. The first year it had been like 15 years since they came to our neck of the woods, by the 3rd year people had seen them or thought it would be yearly and they could catch it next year if they wanted to..

Daniel Webster Council (at least the volunteers in DWC) are happy for a break in the air shows.. I am sure the paid execs would love the income.

"I am sure the paid execs would love the income."

I never heard the exact dollar amounts, but apparently this significantly funded much new equipment at the Griswold Scout Reservation - sailboats, ATV's,... I believed you mentioned it in the old forum.

And a couple years later, it didn't hurt DWC's SE in applying for the Cradle of Liberty Council SE position. :)

Is that where he went.. They (or is that you??) can have him.. Bye, bye.. Good riddance.. Our new DE, only time will tell, but everyone is hopeful he is more program oriented.. Wish the old DE could have move about 3 or 4 months faster, we might have not lost a great program oriented DE due to politics and back stabbing.. If he had moved 6 to 8 months faster, we might have not lost a great camp Head Ranger due to politics and back stabbing (although his job loss turned into a very fortunate opportunity for him). When you only have 9 districts and go through 24 DE's in the course of two years.. Something is wrong, and it was not the DE's..