Recharter - What to do with folks leaving the pack 2 days after re-charter

This year will be my first year running the recharter process.

I'm wondering what most folks do with the folks that will soon be leaving?

our recharter is due Friday Jan 31

our B&G and WEBELOS crossover is Sunday Feb 2 (not even a business day after recharter!)

I can understand that we need to recharter the scouts, but it hardly makes sense for 2 days.

but my real question is what to do with some adult scouters

we have a couple committee members that will be leaving with their son a month after re-charter. I figured I'd talk with them, but my thought is to just not recharter them.

and we have the den leader, who has a son in bear den, but has said that he's out. My thought is to recharter him as a committee member.

What would you do?

I think the proper term is "reregister". The unit recharters, scouts are registered. Semantics. Anyway, the registration is with BSA National, not with the unit. I would reregister them, then they will need to pay $1 to transfer their registration to the troop. I would not charge them any unit dues, since they won't be members of your unit. Think of it as a wash...what you pay for these departing scouts will be "made up" by incoming Tigers who will pay their own registration. YOu didn't mention if the Unit pays for the annual registration or do you ask the parents to pay? If the parents pay, then it doesn't matter. Hope I didn't confuse you.

PS: as to the adults, if you know they will be GONE, I would not reregister them. If the DL says he's "out", ask him what that means and if he wants to reregister and in what position. Committee member is a good catch-all. Other than CM, CA, DL and WL, there aren't many other options.

First, bless you! It's a thankless job that would be simple if all the dues and yea's and nay's came at one meeting, but that never happens.

If they are transferring to a troop, keep them on the charter. It will cost them $1 to transfer to the troop, but there is a lag in that getting done. Sometimes a troop will want them to see how it operates before deciding weather to sign on as a committee member or assistant scoutmaster. So, they won't have an official position with the troop even if they "crossover" on Feb 2. In the meantime, it is nice to have their BSA membership with the pack stay current. Making sure they have continuity in membership for those few months may save some grief in them keeping track of training.

If they are not continuing in scouting, I would ask them what they want to do. For some people, that $30 (or what ever your charge) to stay legit for another month is a big deal. Again, it gives them a chance if, in September, they want to get "back in the saddle" to do so with fewer paperwork hassles.

One reason why my pack Crosses them over as soon as possible, which is December 1st, instead of Blue and Gold. We had the same problem.

The other reason is that the Webelos 2s are chomping at the bit to be Boy Scouts.

Another option is to record the AOL into SCOUTNET before the charter expires, and then put them on the Troop's charter, assuming all units in your district recharter the same month.

One reason why my pack Crosses them over as soon as possible, which is December 1st, instead of Blue and Gold. We had the same problem.

The other reason is that the Webelos 2s are chomping at the bit to be Boy Scouts.

Another option is to record the AOL into SCOUTNET before the charter expires, and then put them on the Troop's charter, assuming all units in your district recharter the same month.

I didn't think of the AOL record..... I haven't worked with SCOUTNET yet....is that something that I can record now, as I go through the re-charter process? I'll have to double check with the leader, but I believe that all the W2 boys have already earned the AOL, they are just waiting to present at the B&G.

You should re-register the scouts either way. As has been pointed out, registration is with the BSA.

If the PACK is paying for the registration fees, the scouts have earned their re-registration by their support of the pack in the fall fundraiser, etc.

If the SCOUT is paying for the registration fees, the money has already been collected from them for the next year.

As to the adults, I would not re-register them if they were leaving a leadership role in Scouting altogether.

In our pack, rechartering Webelos 2 in the last few years would be a $300 to $500 cost. $24 plus $12 for boy's life. Packs get screwed by this. Fundraiser / dues do not matter. Money is coming out of pack checking account and the people are not in the pack anymore after a short time.

I would do two things.

#1 Recharter the boys this year. Otherwise you will piss off the boys or the troop they join.

#2 Move next year's blue and gold to before the recharter date. The submit the $1 fee the day after the blue and gold. Then, submit the recharter. IMHO, it's worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

You could also drop Boys Life and let them re-add it with their Troop transfer application.

We charge dues for our program year, Sept - August. New members "cost" us money, because we pay for them in the fall, then pick them up for the year.

My dilemma is I have Scouts who paid dues for the year, have said that they are "out" and it's recharter time. If I pick them up, it hurts us for JTE for next year. If I drop them, it's kind of lame, because they paid, and I'll need to re-enroll them if they return.

If it is really 2 days and they don't plan to do any Cub Scout advancement in those two days, I would just have them register with the Troop.. The only reason you would need to reregister them with the Pack would be if they are doing CS advancement after the rechartering. It saves the $1, it also saves on confusion..

I know my son once reregistered with a Troop due by Dec 31st.. In January he changed troops.. So we put in a transfer and paid the $1.. Six months later found out he was still registered with his old troop.. When they researched why, it was because they processed the transfer first, then the recharter registration 2nd.. So he moved to the new troop, then got removed back into the old troop.. Transfering a month or two after rechartering is taking a risk that it will not be processed right.. Now your council may recognize a scout now in a Troop would not go back to a pack.. But that is if they are thinking while doing, and not just mindlessly doing..

In our pack, rechartering Webelos 2 in the last few years would be a $300 to $500 cost. $24 plus $12 for boy's life. Packs get screwed by this. Fundraiser / dues do not matter. Money is coming out of pack checking account and the people are not in the pack anymore after a short time.

I would do two things.

#1 Recharter the boys this year. Otherwise you will piss off the boys or the troop they join.

#2 Move next year's blue and gold to before the recharter date. The submit the $1 fee the day after the blue and gold. Then, submit the recharter. IMHO, it's worth it.

Wow, great language.

You could argue that the boys have gotten "screwed" in their first year in the program because they had the same fundraising obligation as the rest of the boys despite not benefitting from the program for 8 months (January-August). So by the time they are Webelos, it all washes out.

It's the least the pack can do for boys and families who, in most cases, have given several years of commitment to the program.

I would do two things.

Fred, Unlike brew your language is fine.

So I gotta ask, Where do the funds come from to pay registration?

If it is through fundraising and the boys participated then they have a right to have their fees paid for by the Pack.

If it is by the parents, then it is a wash.....It doesn't cost the Pack anything.

Now if the boys didn't participate in any fundraising then No don't pay.

bottom line here is what is best for the boy, $24 be damned.

You could also drop Boys Life and let them re-add it with their Troop transfer application.

We charge dues for our program year, Sept - August. New members "cost" us money, because we pay for them in the fall, then pick them up for the year.

My dilemma is I have Scouts who paid dues for the year, have said that they are "out" and it's recharter time. If I pick them up, it hurts us for JTE for next year. If I drop them, it's kind of lame, because they paid, and I'll need to re-enroll them if they return.

I would never base anything on a JTE score.

So in your book what is right? I would go with what ever is easiest on your mind.

Reregistering them?? Refunding their dues????

dues cover more than just recharter, I would thank them for being a scout and let them know they are welcome back at anytime. end of story.

If it is really 2 days and they don't plan to do any Cub Scout advancement in those two days, I would just have them register with the Troop.. The only reason you would need to reregister them with the Pack would be if they are doing CS advancement after the rechartering. It saves the $1, it also saves on confusion..

I know my son once reregistered with a Troop due by Dec 31st.. In January he changed troops.. So we put in a transfer and paid the $1.. Six months later found out he was still registered with his old troop.. When they researched why, it was because they processed the transfer first, then the recharter registration 2nd.. So he moved to the new troop, then got removed back into the old troop.. Transfering a month or two after rechartering is taking a risk that it will not be processed right.. Now your council may recognize a scout now in a Troop would not go back to a pack.. But that is if they are thinking while doing, and not just mindlessly doing..

Ding! Correct Answer. Let the troop handle it.

Nothing bad comes from 36 hours of lapsed registration. Anyone really think someone from the council will come in Saturday morning to purge the rolls?