Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a unit commissioner and why have I never met one?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still don't know who my district commissioner is, but I was just recruited this week to serve on the district committee as the membership chair.

Comment

If you don't know WHO your unit UC is, count yourself lucky. I've only met one, but as a cubmaster, he was successful in inviting himself to unit functions (most often when we were having food and wanting to each without paying as a "guest of honor"). In addition, he would attempt to tell me and the CC how to run our unit, to the point that my female CC finally QUIT over being micromanaged and some off-color female remarks he made...

One of my final acts as CM was to ask him to stop attending any unit functions and I had to threaten to get the DE involved to make that happen. We had a very healthy, happy little cub unit going (about 35 kids on average) that this knucklehead would have screwed into the ground if left unchecked. The only thing worse than a PAID district boss, is a volunteer district boss! In my expirience, they do very little to help the unit and only serve to stir the pot. Steer clear !!!

Comment

If you don't know WHO your unit UC is, count yourself lucky. I've only met one, but as a cubmaster, he was successful in inviting himself to unit functions (most often when we were having food and wanting to each without paying as a "guest of honor"). In addition, he would attempt to tell me and the CC how to run our unit, to the point that my female CC finally QUIT over being micromanaged and some off-color female remarks he made...

One of my final acts as CM was to ask him to stop attending any unit functions and I had to threaten to get the DE involved to make that happen. We had a very healthy, happy little cub unit going (about 35 kids on average) that this knucklehead would have screwed into the ground if left unchecked. The only thing worse than a PAID district boss, is a volunteer district boss! In my expirience, they do very little to help the unit and only serve to stir the pot. Steer clear !!!

Comment

The main problem with being a UC is that it is a thankless position where unit leaders look at you as a spy for the DE and council. As a DE I heard stories from UC's where they were asked to leave as soon as they showed up to a meeting. When they tried to explain what they were there for some were forcefully removed by unit leaders before they could finish, while others were told never to come back again for any reason. So it really isn't a mystery to me why no one wants the job. As a DE I used part of a roundtable to introduce the UC staff to the unit leaders with the DC explaining the role the UC plays in scouting. Afterwards things were better, more open and congenial but there was still tension. Part of the problem I think is that some UC's overstep their boundaries or are not very tactful with new ideas they present to the unit leaders leading to them being banned from that unit. Sad that we all can not work as a team instead of adversaries.
          Last edited by BadenP; 07-27-2013, 07:42 PM.

Comment

With experiences like that, I can't blame you for not wanting a UC. Unfortunately, anyone who behaves like that has no clue what the duties of a UC are supposed to be.

Comment

Our past UC was a pain in the butt. He would show up without warning, expect to talk to leaders who were actively working with scouts, and spoke ENDLESSLY about what he was doing for his own units and how trained he was. No one cared, no surprise. He was annoying and not welcomed.

Our current UC is great. He comes to our meetings on a regular basis, waits patiently to talk to someone if he needs to, will help set-up/take-down equipment or otherwise pitch in to help, praises us frequently and acknowledges that we are top-functioning units in the district. He is also a genuinely nice guy. Our DE is also great. He supports us anyway he can, we meet several times a year in person to talk both unit and council needs, and I enjoy working with him.

Compared to many of the other scouters here, I feel like my unit belongs to an alternate-BSA universe. Not complaining!

Comment

Working...
              X