Unit commissioner age

I was approached at today and asked if I had ever thought about being a unit commissioner. I responded that I am not old enough since I am only 18, the scouter responded that he did not think it had a 21 age requirment but would get back to me. Upon further research I cannot find a age requirment for a unit commissioner. does anyone know the answer?

Rule #1: Never ask anyone for a rule. There are plenty of other ones you'll get without asking.

That said 18 is young, but are you the kind of guy people trust, and will you get help if you're in over your head?

If for example there's an SM out there with a lot of heart but zero experience and a brand new troop. Your scouting experience, along with your connections to your district may be very helpful.

I am woodbadge trained with a scoumaster father, and have several friends and mentors who are commissioners who can help. I was asked by an assistant district commissioner. I also have been an unofficial member of the district committee because of age.

rainman,

From the Adult Leader Application:

"All leaders must be 21 years of age or older, except assistant Scoutmasters, assistant den leaders, assistant Cubmasters, assistant Webelos den leaders, and assistant Varsity Scout coaches, who must be 18 or older."

I'd point out as well that a Unit commissioner really needs TIME in the programs of Scouting as an adult leader. A Unit Commissioner serves as an adviser, guide and help to unit leaders. To do that effectively generally requires some experience so you can understand their position, maybe have seen and dealt with the problem (or similar) before, and be listened to. It would be a difficult position to be in as an 18yo to mentor or coach a 40yo CC or SM with 4-8 years adult leader experience. They would likely question your Scout (adult) leader experience more than your age.

As a guy who was a UC in his 20's, and now again in my 40's, I agree with the others--some seasoning as a unit level leader is not required to be a UC, but highly recommended.

In my late 20's, I had several years experience as an ASM and SM previous. But as a new UC, I was serving units that were lead by long tenured SMs. Some were nice to me, others patronized me, but despite my best efforts and previous experience as a scout and scouter, I never found myself being that "trusted friend" to the unit leaders.

After a long hiatus from scouting, I'm a UC again and find myself being more effective. It's not just scouting experience, but life experience, that will help some SMs (obstinate or reluctant) accept you in your role as an advisor and confidant.

Not to say a young person cannot/should not do UC duty. There are some that were/are infinitely more talented than me, and they won't face the issues that I did. Just offering up some thoughts to consider.

The best times as a UC are standing around the camp fire during a troop campout, drinking coffee and shooting the breeze with the SM and ASMs. If you've got troop level experience as a scouter, that credibility and experience is important. You've walked a mile in their shoes, in scouting and in life.

Even the most motivated, intelligent, squared-away former scout will benefit from a couple years as an ASM, CM or the like. Whatever your decision, best wishes and enjoy your journey as a scouter.

How did college get into the mix? The issue is age (under-age).

The answer is clear and simple. So are the suggestions (except those implying that rules don't apply to certain people).

If someone is trying to fill an empty slot on paper (for JTE?), it won't work anyway.

BDPT00

>

I agree.

However, some districts mainly want to use Unit Commissioners as District Nags to get units to do things that the district and council want done.

My district had it's annual planning meeting last Saturday, and there were quite a number of things UCs are expected to nag units about.

As an example, the District Executive wants a list of unit membership chairs, advancement chairs and so on. If no such animal is there, they want one apopointed.

There is good reason for such things, but there is also a risk in being seen as the District Nag.

However, being a District Nag doesn't require much unit level experience, I would suppose.

>

I agree.

However, some districts mainly want to use Unit Commissioners as District Nags to get units to do things that the district and council want done.

My district had it's annual planning meeting last Saturday, and there were quite a number of things UCs are expected to nag units about.

As an example, the District Executive wants a list of unit membership chairs, advancement chairs and so on. If no such animal is there, they want one apopointed.

There is good reason for such things, but there is also a risk in being seen as the District Nag.

However, being a District Nag doesn't require much unit level experience, I would suppose.

>

I agree.

>

I agree.

>

I agree.

>

I agree.