The Annual Charter Agreement

For the last 9 months my COR has asked for a meeting with our DE over an incident involving a District volunteer. Even though our COR has made several requests even going up the chain to the 2nd in charge at Council, the DE has refused to meet with our COR.

So now it's time to recharter and we have the Annual Charter Agreement, a contract between the CO and the Council. The agreement states in part "The discussion between the professional Scouter and the executive officer of a chartered organization is an opportunity that should not be delegated to anyone else. This annual visit should be scheduled at least 90 days prior to the renewal date of the units charter. If problems in rechartering the unit are anticipated or there is significant corrective action to be taken, the discussion should be held early enough to allow time to take positive corrective action before the renewal deadline.

The meeting must be a face-to-face discussion, since the concept of working together is central to our mutual long-term success."

So how does the DE and Council refusing to meet with our COR meet this contractual requirement?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DE has forfeited his seat at the table. I would be asking for a meeting with the Scout Executive to discuss the DE's behavior AND the incident with the district voluneer. Send the letter certified mail and cc the Regional Scout Executive.

Inexcusable.

Ditto the above. Registered, cerified mail. Document your efforts.

""Even though our COR has made several requests even going up the chain to the 2nd in charge at Council, the DE has refused to meet with our COR.""

Refused?? As in "No, I will not meet with you"????

At this point, I would call to meet with the Council Scout Executive. If he should refuse to meet with you (why would he do that??), the next step is to call Irving and ask to speak with the Scout Regional Director for your area. Be persistant. They do not want to lose your charter.

Yes as in "I will not meet with you". In fact I talked with the DE in an effort to reinforce the importance of a meeting and his answer was "It's not happening". I believe the DE should be willing to meet with any COR upon request.

Do other units out there have annual meetings between the COR and DE?

"Do other units out there have annual meetings between the COR and DE?"

Well, I WOULD, if our DE position weren't a constantly revolving door. It's pretty embarrassing to be asked who the DE is, and not being able to provide an answer, or to give the name of LAST month's DE. :)

The agreement says "discussion between the professional Scouter and the executive officer of a chartered organization" and "The meeting must be a face-to-face discussion, since the concept of working together is central to our mutual long-term success." How does a volunteer UC fulfill that obligation? I guess the Council gets to make up it's own rules?

I think the annual meeting requirement is rarely enforced. However, my council seems to be trying to restart the process. Our DE gave us a heads up at commissioners meeting that he would be arranging appointments with IHs. Of course he resigned a month later, so that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Answering the question about the DE and CO meeting fro recharter - in my experience that is very, very rare. In fact, getting the CO, the Scout unit, or the DE interested has been difficult everywhere I've been. As a UC, the DE usually tries to push that to me, the unit rarely wants to, or understands the need to, meet with anyone and the CO is (usually) so hands off they wouldn't know what a DE (or UC) is...

As far as refusing to meet when there is an issue... Well that's an issue itself. Definitely contact the Scout Executive about a professional Scouter refusing to meet. Not knowing what the issue is, there are other avenues to discuss district volunteers other than the DE. You (may) also have a UC, a district Commissioner, and the district Chairman available. These are all volunteer positions and you may find (if you have them and can get their names) that they'll be more motivated in helping you anyway.

If the Scout Executive refuses to help - which I can't imagine happening - you can contact regional/national.

Good luck.

While the subject of the meeting requested is important and should not be tolerated, the annual renewal specifically relates to the Institutional Head, not the COR. Certainly the charter renewal meeting might very well include discussion of the other issue; but the main point is that it is the IH that is the signatory on the Charter Agreement, along with the District Executive (not commissioner).

The COR should absolutely go to the council chief executive, and if necessary higher in regard to the other issue, given it is not something petty and without real merit.