Is it incorrect to believe this?

During an interview yesterday for a DE opening I was attempting to explain that I feel that everything that is done by both professionals and by volunteers should be done to best support the individuals that are the scout. That I believe that would be the first step to motivating a team letting them know I would be there for the scouts first and foremost.

The guy I was interviewed by didn't let me finish as soon as I said that everything would be for the scouts he cut me off to explain that DEs also have to take into account the family because they are influenced through the scout as well. Which I understand and was ready to mention that I understood scheduling conflicts work hours and things of this nature that had to be taken into account but he moved on and left my words unused. Did I do wrong and completely shatter my opportunity yesterday or am I making to much of this?

Doesn't sound like the interviewer was actually interviewing you as much as he was indoctrinating you to the way things are done in that council. Usually during the interview process the interviewer is truly interested in what the interviewee is going to say. Doesn't look like that was on his agenda for you that day. You need a second interview to check out what these people are really looking for in a candidate.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)

Maybe I was looking to much into it or maybe I will get lucky enough to have another interview. I need a job desperately and that really doesn't even feel like it explains it my life has been on hold for over 2 years now right when it was supposed to start.

If you need a job desperately, don't wait on the BSA. Find a job doing sales or marketing or volunteer management, and then come back and apply in a few more years if you're still inclined, with some experience under your belt. Those jobs are far more easier to get than a DE's slot with a council - and less politics, too.

Is it incorrect to believe that you're there for the Scouts first and foremost? Of course not. The guy would probably say that himself if he was asked. He just wants to hear himself talk.

You did not do wrong, but you seem remarkably worried about your answer to this one question. If you're going to be walking on eggshells all the time, you're going to find it hard to be effective as a DE.

Be yourself, give the best answers you can, and move forward. Stay confident.

j good

As a former DE for about 5 years all I can tell you is it is not worth selling your soul or compromise your own ideals just to become a DE. You will be putting in 60-70+ hour weeks and if you are already gettting red flags in the interview be cautious before you commit. I was able to go to the council and meet all the pro staff and some top volunteers from what were to be my districts before any interviews. As a result the interviews were just a formalityand I was given an offer the same day over dinner. There are some really good councils out there and many more not so great councils so choose wisely. If the fit is right you will get an offer.

I hope that he was just simply trying to make sure I understood what he wanted me to understand. The rest of the interview before that seemed to go well and after that there was only a bit more before our time was up as he had other engagements.

I have been trying other places as well but my area is awful as far as job market is concerned. Here itbis either fast food retail like walmart dollar stores and the like or 12hrs a day 6 to 7 days a week in the factory. I dont mind working long hours but I have worked hard to stay out of the factories here because they treat employees like animals. I cant even get an interview at companies else where and the district level job for bsa if notjing else would build great experience for the future if I ended up not enjoying the posistion

Good luck.. finding a job now adays is hard, but this is no easy job.. You are right that it will build good experience, but to stay at it longer then a month or so, you really need to have a love of scouting.. Otherwise the Turkeys will get you down..

If you do get it, also remember you want to work for the volunteers who work for the boys.. Make them happy, they will go out and make your scouts happy, and they will also stay with you..

Bottom line, you can't make the boys happy all by your lonesome, as DE your kindof middle management, supporting the volunteers, and buffering them from the nasty old council..

From what I've seen, you'll be much happier as a DE if you can accept it's not the same Scouting you've grown up with.

You've grown up enjoying the program, and to be a professional you have to enjoy making it happen and making it available/accessible.

It's probably like really loving hot dogs and thinking that making hot dogs would be just as fun. Making hot dogs is only just as much fun if you keep in mind that there's someone like you out there who really loves eating hot dogs.

That rationale would be why I think your explanation was a shot in the foot for you. This is because you're trying to say that your experience as a hot dog eater has led you to believe the hot dog makers don't appreciate hot dog eaters. That makes it more difficult for you to learn that paid Scouters really do care about Scouts and Scouting, they just have a different role sometimes than actually enjoying Scouts and Scouting directly.

Suggesting you bring that uniquely, which I know you didn't do intentionally but is a way it can be interpreted, is an attack on the interviewers' personal motivations, and I think it works against you.

That is the thing I know that my work with the actual scouts would be very very little that most is with volunteers and that is what I was trying to get to during my answer. I was just meaning that I wanted to do whatever I could to help everything go as smoothly as possible to better allow the volunteer leaders to do what they are supposed to be doing and that is prepare a scout for life. I honestly feel that I am a better person because of the values I was taught I see people I know everyday that didnt have that and could have used it and believe that properly working with kids now will better this country as a whole.

I just feel that no matter what you do in a business/corporation you have an affect on the end result. If I never saw a scout outside of the time of year recruitment is done I would still know I am benefiting them in some way. For every donation earned or person spoken to it helps promote scouting which helps the kids.