Well our troop changed councils in 1944. The two councils are in different states and we are right on the border.

Of course that was then and this is now so things may have changed.

Just wondering if it can be done and what's involved if it can be done.

It can and has been done...when the address of the charter partner changes. Example: a charter partner is near a state, county, municipal border and relocates by moving into another boundary area which happens to be in another council.

Some have also changed the charter partner address to move into another council but continued to hold meetings in the original council. This only works if the unit or it's charter partner are on or near a council boundary.

I would say you need to find a new CO located within the new Council. Your current SE/DE are likely not going to give up a unit to another Council without a fight. Hurts the numbers, dontcha know? We did this with districts, but it was allowed only because the IH's home address was used on the charter, which was within the district we wanted to remain in. Our meeting place remained in the other district.

Well our IH usually changes every year when the Institution holds it's elections. I don't ever recall one actually living in the Council we are registered in. We are right on a state border (literally a block from the border) and have scouts, leaders and CO members from both states.

What council you are in is based upon the CO's address physical address. SO unless the boundary lines move, or your CO moves, you cannot switch councils.

For example If your CO is in the area that is affected by the NC-SC state boundary being corrected, then yes you may be in a new council.

FYI NC and SC have used GPS to correct the state line and a ton of folks are affected by it. A lot fo folks who moved specifically to SC to avoid the high taxes of NC now find themselves after 5, 10, 50 years living in the same place in SC now living in NC. Heck I thought I saw where one guy on TV that said half of his house is in NC, the other half in SC.

Get a CO address in the new council. But what's the advantage, really? There aren't council taxes, unlike the state situation. Well, I guess there are some things that charge more for out-of-council troops, but that seems pretty minimal. Can't you already attend any events you want in the other council?

I'm just looking for information on changing councils.

Of course there's a reason but I've been on this forum long enough to know better than to even get into why.

So the answer seems to be it's based on where the CO is located. Our CO is located in a different council than we are currently located.

Next question, do we have to change councils in this case or is it the CO's option?

Some thoughts on changing.

1) If you move to a new council, unless it is a merger ,i.e. Michigan, or some type of council reorganization, i.e. New Orleans Area Council Serving 11 parishes in LA and 1 county in MS turing into Southeast Lousiana Council serving 11 parishes in LA and giving the MS county it had served to Pine Burr, you will lose vet status., i.e. how many years the unto has been around. If your an old unit, that may be something you don't want to do.

2) Changing councils, while may be a short term benefit, may turn into a long term. From district mergers and what not, having to learn new dynamics and folks can led to challenges. Where you might get some support in your current council, you may get none in your new one.