Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Scouting apps for iPhone and Android, 2014 edition

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/201...-2014-edition/

I guess I'm just too "old school" but I have a hard time with "Scouting Magazine", of all people, pushing smart phones on campouts.
    Empty your backpack and leave everything behind. All you need on your next Scouting outing is your smartphone. OK, so maybe that's an exaggeration. What is true, though, is that for the two-thirds of Americans who own smartphones, it's now possible to fit reference books, a GPS device, a weather radio, a compass, a map, a camera, a field…

Yeah, well they push $400 tents and $1500 bikes so why the heck not.

Comment

We had a Scout insist on using his iPhone versus a compass on our recent orienteering event. Thankfully it was a closed course...his team was WAY off. It was improperly calibrated and then would not work in some areas. Learned his lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by mozartbrau View Post
        We had a Scout insist on using his iPhone versus a compass on our recent orienteering event. Thankfully it was a closed course...his team was WAY off. It was improperly calibrated and then would not work in some areas. Learned his lesson.
        And at a recent camporee, one of the orienteering competition's stations was too close to 3 ft high metal poles in a parking lot. The only people who did it correctly were the ones using smartphones. Why? Their compass is GPS based and not magnetic, however, if we lived in an area with greater magnetic declination, they wouldn't have been so lucky. Also, the compass app on the iphone is configurable between magnetic north and true north. Default is true north, which is great for map navigating, but not so good for orienteering. It's just a matter of knowing the limitations of your equipment, just like any other technology.

Comment

Originally posted by perdidochas View Post
          And at a recent camporee, one of the orienteering competition's stations was too close to 3 ft high metal poles in a parking lot. The only people who did it correctly were the ones using smartphones.
          A few steps aways from the poles and adjusting your course accordingly would have solved the problem too.

I don't disagree that guys need to learn many technologies. Our Instructors teach all methods, including native American methods. But these days you seem to find folks relying too much on app-tech and not basics.

Comment

I basically agree. I have an iphone, but when it comes to orienteering, I prefer my compass. I think we need to teach about the limitations of different methods.

Comment

Working...
            X