Decided to add a small capacity (3 liters) pressure cooker to the wanigan. Reason, besides being used for cooking,, been watching the water quality of the rivers in our area becoming ever more polluted, my thinking is that the higher temps of a pressure cooker would provide an additional level of protection to ensure clean drinkable water.... having just ordered the PC, I'll post updates over time as to how the device is working out.....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you now have a black Suburban parked outside your house?

Been wondering why I've never used PC's in the outdoors. I've now become aware that traditional pots and kettles waste fuel, a lot of fuel compared to a PC... made beef stew, done in 20 minutes vice 1

So, I have understood that most of the biologicals in water die after about 165 degrees F. Boiling just insures the entire column is at or above that temp. Is there something I'm missing that would require the extra few degrees from a pressure cooker? Or are you thinking the extra heat would drive out any volitale chemicals? Not criticizing, just curious if I've missed something.

Boiling is pasteurization, not sterilization. Boiling will kill, or render harmless most bacteria, where as sterilization kills everything. The problem of concern are spores. which can not be deactivated and render harmless by boiling, the temperture is too low... thus, the pressure cooker serves an autoclave that will raise the temp to sterilize water. Additionally, at higher elevations boiling becomes less effective. I know for backpackers that weight is everything...but, that small amount of additional weight is not a concern for canoeing. However, for those interested both Hawkins and GSI makes small backpackable PC's... Also, it would not suprise me, that within a few years to see NOLS, as well as other outdoor groups going this route as water quality continues to decline ...

Besides currently owning three PC, and a Pressure Canner that could hold a nuke .... I'm far more interested in making pickles, jams and jellies, then bombs....got no interest in harming others, so, no concern. If some agency has concerns, they're free to drop by. I'll serve black coffee, scones with homemade butter along with homemade blackberry jam.....but, switching horses to this

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/04/glob...worse_partner/

Boiling is pasteurization, not sterilization. Boiling will kill, or render harmless most bacteria, where as sterilization kills everything. The problem of concern are spores. which can not be deactivated and render harmless by boiling, the temperture is too low... thus, the pressure cooker serves an autoclave that will raise the temp to sterilize water. Additionally, at higher elevations boiling becomes less effective. I know for backpackers that weight is everything...but, that small amount of additional weight is not a concern for canoeing. However, for those interested both Hawkins and GSI makes small backpackable PC's... Also, it would not suprise me, that within a few years to see NOLS, as well as other outdoor groups going this route as water quality continues to decline ...
Thanks for the info. So are you using the PC then as your only method to prep water or will you be filtering first?
Was filtering with a Seychelle Advanced Filter (water straw) which I will continue to use due to heavy metals

http://store.seychelle.com/Products-Pure_Water_Straw.html

Besides currently owning three PC, and a Pressure Canner that could hold a nuke .... I'm far more interested in making pickles, jams and jellies, then bombs....got no interest in harming others, so, no concern. If some agency has concerns, they're free to drop by. I'll serve black coffee, scones with homemade butter along with homemade blackberry jam.....but, switching horses to this

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/04/glob...worse_partner/

I do my part by making sure all water I use gets recycled. :)

Been wondering why I've never used PC's in the outdoors. I've now become aware that traditional pots and kettles waste fuel, a lot of fuel compared to a PC... made beef stew, done in 20 minutes vice 1.5 hours. And my favorite bean recipe, down from 2 hours and 30 minutes to just 15.....steel cut oats with dried apples, a mere 7 minutes...talk about a wake up call for this old dog.....

• Downvote 1

We only use a PC for canning but from that process I can see problems using it outside. Unless you are real good with a fire you have less controll over how much heat it produces than a range. If it gets to hot, to much pressure. Not sure what happens then, either the weight pops off and your stew does a geyser impersonation or the lid pops off or it goes Boston. They are heavy, so is a Dutch oven. Cooking at high temp and pressure will change the cooking results. Presumably texture and flavor, not to mention nutritional value of some foods. Maybe a good thing in your opinion, maybe bad. Low and slow seems to be the consensus for nutritional value especially with vegetables. I am sure there are other opinions on that.

IIf I may, I'm not a Unit Leader, but a Council Member at large that serves as a river guide for our Council's high adventure programs. It's from that perspective that I'm coming from. . As canoeists we've more options then backpackers as to weight...... following LNT guide lines, we've said goodby to campfires except on those rare occasions where fires are permitted, and are now using Stansports Outfitter propane stoves with 5 gallon tanks as they are more efficent for groups then Whisperlites, and Pocket Rockets. As such, the safety concerns of using PC's (mine is a Hawkins 3L hard anodized) isn't an issue since the stoves have controllable burners. However, you are most correct concerning the placement of PC's on campfires, or coals which should never be done......thanks for bringing that concern up...

IIf I may, I'm not a Unit Leader, but a Council Member at large that serves as a river guide for our Council's high adventure programs. It's from that perspective that I'm coming from. . As canoeists we've more options then backpackers as to weight...... following LNT guide lines, we've said goodby to campfires except on those rare occasions where fires are permitted, and are now using Stansports Outfitter propane stoves with 5 gallon tanks as they are more efficent for groups then Whisperlites, and Pocket Rockets. As such, the safety concerns of using PC's (mine is a Hawkins 3L hard anodized) isn't an issue since the stoves have controllable burners. However, you are most correct concerning the placement of PC's on campfires, or coals which should never be done......thanks for bringing that concern up...
Now you are going to have a black canoe shadowing you. :)

OK, just for fun....what temperature is necessary to eliminate human pathogens? (Hint: It isn't as hot as you might think) And then, at what altitude does that temperature equal the boiling temperature? (Hint, it's a really tall mountain)