First we're asked about using a parachute for shelter, and it wanders off into Tarp useage.

15' x 25' tarp. Stake out one 15' side, stretch the next grommets about 5' out, fold that up about 5' tall, use sticks,poles, tie to trees, fold over top the first grounded section, stretch out with two more poles, or tie to trees. Cross section is a "C". Ground cloth, top and wall against the weather, plenty of room for two Scouts and their gear, overhang for shade, etc.

guilty as charged.

I have a collection of tarps from sheets of plastic with duct tape reenforced corners to my silnylon I use when the family and I go backpacking.

The reason I mentioned not cooking under the tarp and then sleeping under it is the increasing number of bear attacks....none of them related to scouting. But ya know an ounce of prevention.

Scoutson just returned from 500 mile bike camp trip. Group only used tarps for tops and bottoms, when not availing themselves of local hospitality, which was common in the south part of VA, along the Blue Ridge Parkway.