New Item Coming To Market Backcountry Boiler

An enterprising young man is bringing an old idea to the backpacking crowd - a Backcountry Boiler. He has been working on it for several years, and has just kicked off the program through kickstarter.com. I am not affiliated with the project or the creator, but I have placed an order. For backpackers who just boil water for their meals, this might be up your alley. It is about the size of a Nalgene bottle and weighs around 9.5 oz. Fuel is sticks or anything else that will burn. Check it out here:

He was hoping to have $20,000 in orders in 30 days - I think he hit that his first day. It helped that REI put it on their Facebook page. Check it out.

There are several of these on the market. Devin is marketing this one to the ultralight backpacking crowd. There are several reviews on Youtube. This one is pretty funny, from hikinginfinland.com, testing the Backcountry Boiler against the mKettle out of Britain.

Basement,

I asked Devin if he was a Scout - here is his reply:

I sure was. Does it show? Troop 65 from Morgantown, WV. I was actually just in contact with the Scoutmaster there and it looks like I might be able to give a talk at the local Scout camp about what it takes to bring something like this from idea to reality. Scouts really instilled my love for the outdoors, but I was never an Eagle, unfortunately. The call of soccer and swimmer was too great. But as I was creating this I kept thinking "this is just the kind of thing I would see in the back of Boys' Life." :)

• 1 month later...