Does anyone know where I can get patrol cook kits, only ones I've found only have max of 4 plates & cups. A patrol kit should have a minimum of 8 plates and cups. Even the one ScoutStuff.org only has 4. I was hoping to find ones like I remember having back in the late 70's early 80's that had plenty of plates and cups for a full patrol. It was all in on self contained kit, a large pot, a smaller pot, the lids doubled as frying pans. Everything fit in the large pot with the lid on. I would really like to find something similar to put in the new patrol boxes I'm planning on building for my troop. We currently have very unorganized 'tubs' and the cooking gear is less than ideal, so I'd really like to find some good replacements. IF anyone has any good ideas on where to find some good cook kits please let me know.

Welcome, JLM! Well, I applaud you for wanting the best for your Troop's patrols. However, I wonder if each member of the patrol shouldn't just bring his own plate and cup. As a youth, my patrol had a nesting set of pots, pans, and lids, but the plates/cups were our own responsibility. Currently, my Troop's patrols operate this same way. Each tote contains the needed patrol cookware but each patrol member provides his individual mess kit. I think this might alleviate your problem. Have you asked the Patrol Leaders what they think? They might poll their Scouts and find out what they'd prefer. In fact, it might be cheaper than trying to find kits with 6-8 plates/cups. If/when you build those totes, don't forget to encourage the PLs to have their patrolmates paint their patrol totem!

• Upvote 1

The 8-person kit you are describing ("Trail Chef Cook Kit" ) no longers seems to be made.

A 6-person aluminum kit is widely available, for example from Amazon.

There is also an 8-person kit with 8 cups but no plates.

The troops I have been with since 1981 used the plates only for serving since each Scout brought his own bowl, cup, and spoon. They usually left all but 3-4 of the plates at home base.

• Upvote 1
Does anyone know where I can get patrol cook kits' date=' only ones I've found only have max of 4 plates & cups. A patrol kit should have a minimum of 8 plates and cups. Even the one ScoutStuff.org only has 4. I was hoping to find ones like I remember having back in the late 70's early 80's that had plenty of plates and cups for a full patrol. It was all in on self contained kit, a large pot, a smaller pot, the lids doubled as frying pans. Everything fit in the large pot with the lid on. I would really like to find something similar to put in the new patrol boxes I'm planning on building for my troop. We currently have very unorganized 'tubs' and the cooking gear is less than ideal, so I'd really like to find some good replacements. IF anyone has any good ideas on where to find some good cook kits please let me know. [/quote']

We have the boys buy and carry their own cups/plates/utensils.

The 8-person kit you are describing ("Trail Chef Cook Kit" ) no longers seems to be made.

A 6-person aluminum kit is widely available, for example from Amazon.

There is also an 8-person kit with 8 cups but no plates.

The troops I have been with since 1981 used the plates only for serving since each Scout brought his own bowl, cup, and spoon. They usually left all but 3-4 of the plates at home base.

That's what our troop does. It's interesting to watch how the boys' mess kits evolve over time. Most have ended up with simplicity itself--a bowl, a spork and a water bottle. My oldest son like his origami (plastic) plate and uses an origami bowl as his cup. The adult leaders do the same thing, although we do have a few extra plates/bowls/utensils for visiting parents and other guests. I've done the same as the boys, and just use a bowl, a spork, and a coffee cup, along with the water bottle. It was fun yesterday eating pancakes out of a bowl :-)

in our troop, the scouts each bring their own "mess kit". Some have kits and some have plates and such.... each in a mesh bag.

Our troop isn't set up this way, but I'm a fan of each camp out being treated as if it were a backpacking or canoeing trip, minimal weight, minimal volume.... so that when the scouts do go on the more adventuresome camps they are well practiced at trail cooking.

in our troop, the scouts each bring their own "mess kit". Some have kits and some have plates and such.... each in a mesh bag.

Our troop isn't set up this way, but I'm a fan of each camp out being treated as if it were a backpacking or canoeing trip, minimal weight, minimal volume.... so that when the scouts do go on the more adventuresome camps they are well practiced at trail cooking.

Yes, bl dubs. There was a recent thread on Patrol chuck boxes where we discussed the merits of light-weight cookery vs. the whole shebang. It's nice to have a variety there between a fixed camp and a traveling camp where sometimes you bring the kitchen sink and sometimes you bring the collapsible canvas wash basin.