Hopefully we all have success stories where we've connected with a Scout at one time or another or maybe the Scout "got it".

I had one this weekend. The revived Troop's first backpack trip. Saturday night, sitting around the camp fire I ask the Scouts what their favorite part of the weekend was so far. One Scout tells me "I loved the hike in because it was beautiful and I could relax." :)

What are your success stories?

Well, it might sound strange to call it a "success" but I really do see as such. Earlier this summer I mentioned that one of my long-time Scouts decided to quit the Troop. His patrol mates had just chosen him to take over as Patrol Leader and he came to me, the Scoutmaster, with a heavy heart. As he was trying to tell me he was leaving he couldn't hold back the tears and the shaky voice. I asked him if he wasn't having fun and he kept saying that, no, he liked camping and being with the guys but that his family needed him more now. He explained how Scouting had helped teach him values and basic skills.

As he poured his heart out I realized we really had impacted his life in a positive way. And even though he was leaving us physically he would always be a part of our Scouting family...dues be damned.

• Upvote 1