A Plan for Teaching Winter Camping Skills

There's a decent chapter in the fieldbook' date=' at least the old one. Check the OKPIK manual from your local scout shop as well. If you're anywhere close to NE Illinois come take our course![/quote']

Hey, DC. I actually just purchased the Okpik book at the shop last week. And, incidentally, I came across this link today:

http://threefirescouncil.org/index.php/training-mainmenu-35/okpik-training

I assume this is the course to which you refer? Looks pretty great!

Hey, DC. I actually just purchased the Okpik book at the shop last week. And, incidentally, I came across this link today:

http://threefirescouncil.org/index.php/training-mainmenu-35/okpik-training

I assume this is the course to which you refer? Looks pretty great!

That's our course. I've staffed a few times. It's not Northern Tier but I think the 35 and rainy year was worse than the cold and snow years. Anyway, we have some fun, we drink some hot chocolate, camp without bugs and get to have a safe environment to give it a try. Not to mention patches, hats and bling.

1. How to stay just warm enough / dry. This skill set can be learned in day outings in Winter. Subtopics: proper clothing (head, torso, legs, feet, hands); ventilation; changing socks/liners; staying hydrated

2. How to sleep just warm enough. This skill set can be learned "sleeping out" in the back yard in Winter. Subtopics: proper tentage; tent siting; tent-pitching; sleeping bags or substitute; insulation under the sleeper; keeping tent dry (keeping snow/rain outside & ventilation)

3. Menu/Cooking outdoors in the Winter. Again, this can be learned on day outings or in back-yard practice.

4. Top tips. Items such as the virtues of hot water bottles, boot tops under the sleeper at night, water bottle carried under the outer layer, danger of handling liquid fuels, and a host of Winter-camp-proved suggestions.

If you use Okpik, be sure to use the current version. Older versions had some ideas that have been rethought, such as using open-cell foam (AKA sponge) to make sleeping bags.

• Downvote 1