X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Region 7 Northern Wisconsin Canoe Base, Boulder Junction

I have been doing research on high adventure in Scouting and, since I live in Wisconsin, I am especially interested in the former Region 7 Explorer Canoe Base/Northern Wisconsin Canoe Base near Boulder Junction, WI. I know of a site that was set up online several years back for staff alumni but the stories there are more from the 1930s and 1940s.

http://www.w9fz.com/canoebase/

I'm interested to hear any personal stories or anecdotes of being on staff during the 1970s. What was it like there? What were some of the activities? Any photos from the trips?

For a Boy's Life article from 1972, please view page six in the link below:

http://books.google.com/books?id=sfX...page&q&f=false

(In addition, I hear that this Canoe Base was a popular place to conduct Wood Badge during the 1960s. Did anyone participate there? What was it like? Photos?)

I realize this is more a history topic but it still seems valid in regards to high adventure. We can learn from these experiences and use them for today's programming. Also, I know that Northern Tier exists today but I still am interested to know more about Wisconsin's Scouting heritage.

Looking forward to hearing some fun stories!

Yours in Scouting,

LeCastor

What memories! I learned to canoe at the old Region 7 Canoe Base on White Sand Lake in the late 60's as a scout and took our troop up there four times as SM. Great water, lots of mosquitoes, and a wood burning sauna that felt heavenly after a long week's trip! I do have some pics (all slides I think) and could dig them out of the attic if you would like.

Dale

Comment

Working...
    X