Buy a 10 by 20 foot tarp. Stake down the tarp along the 10 foot edge, stake down a 5 foot piece, fold that up along three feet high, pull out the edges with cut poles of suitable size and rope guys, fold over the last bit to cover you up and pole and guy as needed. Groundcloth, topcover all in one piece. Cheap. If you don't want to cut the poles and pegs as you go, buy 'em before hand. Still cheaper than a "umbrella" tent. Room for gear. You don't sit up in the tent anyway, right? Lay and watch the world go 'round, rather than stare at nylon all night.

We've had good luck with the Eureka Apex XT. Reasonably priced (about $130) and a good all-around tent. Not a super light-weight backpacker, but good enough. We've had several Philmont crews use them with no complaints. The XT version includes some upgraded hardware and they hold up pretty well. We first bought them 7-8 years ago and are just now having to retire a few of the oldest ones.

Did my pre ordeal a few weeks ago and am a convert. Nothing bad happened. Go figure. Buy a really good expensive ( or cheap ) tent that will protect you if you really need it. Then sleep under the stars 90% of the time. You will likely not need another tent for many, many years.

KDD, welcome to the dark side!:D

Stosh, how do you manage 'skeeters? I get by with a spritz of Deet, but am wondering if you hike where they might be a little more aggressive.

We've moved to these. Great tents. Expensive, but we've found sales over the years for 40% or more off. Great for canoe trips. Less so for backpacking.

http://store.eurekatent.com/timberli...tfitter-4-tent

The "outfitter" verion solves issues we had with the current lower end Timerline tents. Lower end have zippers break after a year or two and the rain flies were too short to prevent the corners from being drenched. I don't believe people that say you can set the lower end ones up right to keep them dry.

Backpacking .. probably a bit too heaving depending on distance

Since you are talking Backpacking then you are talking lightweight. I too have a Eureka Apex 2 man but even splitting it across two people find it a little too heavy. I also use a Hennessy Hammock and on a recent AT trip I got rid of all but the tarp at a resupply point. It was nice to see out the sides but the bugs were pretty slight. Did have the odd mouse/chipmunk run across my feet!

If I had to do it again I would either get a ultralight tarp that you use with trekking poles (with an occasional bug screen addition).

When I back pack I carry a lightweight rainfly off a tent that met an untimely end and three lightweight aluminum pegs. you can improvise many types of shelters using a length and cord (something I always carry), a stave, and whatever nature provides.

Oldest got the Mystique 1.5 and loves it. And ALPS has a program at http://www.scoutdirect.com where you can get steep discounts. You gotta sign up for it, and all the website does is list the product and the discount price. You need to go to the main site for info on the item. When I looked at it, I was impressed.

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/alps/products/tents/lightweight-tents/mystique-15

KDD, welcome to the dark side!:D

Stosh, how do you manage 'skeeters? I get by with a spritz of Deet, but am wondering if you hike where they might be a little more aggressive.

Oh, I've been where they are thick enough to breathe them in. I usually just toss a light weight shirt over my heat loosely and keep my hands under the covers. Usually they are a problem around dawn and dusk, but unless they are really bad, they quiet down for the night after dark. I have also dropped the 4th corner down over myself and then they don't bother me either. One can also cut down a netting to fit over one's head and shoulders and fasten inside the tent to hang down over you if one wishes to go that route. That netting has hardly any weight, but does add a bit of bulk.

Stosh

When backpacking and having a tent to yourself (buddy system always in the back country) Nothing, NOTHING beats a hammock tent. I know Hennessy's have been popular at jamborees. Check this out

There are companies that sell extra loft coverings for the bottoms and such so winter camping can be done just as comfortably.

Unless one is camping in a tree-farm, I'm thinking a troop of 50 would have problems with hammocks. :)

Stosh

I understood he was looking for something for himself and not necessarily trying to re-outfit a whole troop. And admittedly I am in the foothills of the Cascades where there is no shortage of trees when we go camping, and the hammock tents are MY preferred way to go. Still if tree space was limited the hammocks can be stacked double to a set of trees like bunk beds and I've seen poles for "treeless" camping at Jamborees.