Hello,

I would like to share my (free) android app that tracks your hikes and crucially accounts for elevation variations properly (ie how many vertical feet one climbed up and down). If you do try it please post any feedback on its usefulness or lack of ;-) Here is the link: http://isonix.ch

Remember Al Franken on SNL with that satellite dish on his head? Well you just do the same thing but with solar panels. For cloudy days or night time you get one of those camp stoves that powers a USB port from the heat. Basically go out in the woods armed like a total pinhead.

I suppose it's all about how you prioritize the weight you're going to carry and how long you are going to be out. If I turn off everything except the GPS on my phone it gets pretty good battery life. It only has to be running the GPS when I'm moving, not when I'm in camp drying my socks or cooking supper or breakfast so we're really only talking about a few hours a day of run time. I have a mophi battery pack that can recharge my Samsung 1.5 times for just a few extra ounces in the pack. The solar panels add a few more ounces to recharge either. Together they are about a pound. The only real question is if the application is worth the extra weight.

I can get the same information (track and elevation) from my hand-held GPSr. It gets me about 18 hours on two AA batteries, so maybe two days of hiking time at the most. An additional set of AAs is fairly light. Both together are probably lighter than the mophi and goalzero. That said I suspect most folks aren't going to purchase a GPSr when they can get the same functionality from their phone which they are carrying anyway.

I've carried my GPSr and extra batteries in the BWCAW and GSMNP just for that functionality. I enjoy being able to look back at the track, see the elevation changes and see how it affected my travel speed. Sometimes I use it in conjunction with a HRM to check my health as well. It helps me plan for my next adventure. I guess that makes me a pinhead.