BSA policy (http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/healthandsafety/resources/policyonchemicalfuels.aspx) cooking equipment that is "handcrafted, homemade, modified, or installed beyond the manufacturer’s stated design limitations or use." Among the not recommended fuels are "liquid alcohol fuels, including isopropyl alcohol, denatured ethyl alcohol, and ethanol."

However, the policy goes on to say about these alcohol fuels, "liquid alcohol fuels, including isopropyl alcohol, denatured ethyl alcohol, and ethanol; and other flammable chemicals that are not in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions for chemical-fueled equipment."

I read this as a commercial alcohol stove, such as Trangia, is permitted as long as it is fueled and used per the manufacturer’s instructions.

Am I mistaken on how I rwead this policy?

The weight to BTU ratio for alcohol is very poor. You might want to reconsider some of the more efficient fuels.

By the way I have a manufactured alcohol burner and I use it in my presentations as an example of what never to buy. I would never use this stove other than demo purposes or maybe if it was a life/death situation. I lit it once and never again!

Stosh

That's the way I read it as well. A commercial alcohol stove' date=' while not burning a recommended fuel, is still allowed.[/quote']

This smacks of BSA Lawyer CYA talk rather then if liquid fuels are safe or unsafe...IMHO