Whither Klondike Derby sleds?

We still have winter, Klondike Derbies, snow and cold but the patrol-built sleds are disappearing? In recent years, I rarely see any reference to their specification and inspection in the Klondike Derby flyers that go out. At local Klondike Derbies where once I saw an abundant assortment of scout-built sleds, now I see more plastic Walmart sleds or even no sleds (Scout backpack instead). When asked, some say there is no time or place to build sleds and then the storage after.

Sad excuses, I think, might as well blame global warming...

My $0.01,

Reason we don't do Klondike #11. Down south in the land of the pines sleds don't make much sense. Dragging heavy sleds over rocks and roots only serves to favor brute strength. Not many troops around here backpack with sleds. Many of our Scouts have invested in and are accustomed to using these things called backpacks. Although the written guidelines neither require sleds nor prohibit carrying gear in backpacks, the Ol' Boys have determined all gear must be stowed on sleds. Same for sled design. The rules only specify the height and width of sleds, the Ol' Boys say sleds must look like the sleds their troops use. Innovation is not allowed.

Reason we don't do Klondike #11. Down south in the land of the pines sleds don't make much sense. Dragging heavy sleds over rocks and roots only serves to favor brute strength. Not many troops around here backpack with sleds. Many of our Scouts have invested in and are accustomed to using these things called backpacks. Although the written guidelines neither require sleds nor prohibit carrying gear in backpacks, the Ol' Boys have determined all gear must be stowed on sleds. Same for sled design. The rules only specify the height and width of sleds, the Ol' Boys say sleds must look like the sleds their troops use. Innovation is not allowed.
When there is no snow here, some scouts attach wheels to their sled (or switch to backpacks as I mentioned) which works well enough on frozen clear hard ground, not so such on early thaw mud.

For those patrols that build their sled, the innovation is evident in the materials - rope, elastic cord, wood, recycled skis, pvc (ugh!), construction styrofoam (blue) as sled floor, crates, plywood, ... functionality - clamp-on wheels, some build collapsible for easy transport and storage, detachable floor stretcher, one patrol made a fair attempt at building a "Transformer" sled (transformed into a table/bench)... and then there is the paint job and other decorations.

IMO, the real innovation occurs when a sled breaks during the competition and scouts need to repair ASAP with what is available.

Another $0.02,