I'd like to setup a topic completely dedicated to the activities/programs that add a little more flavor to the campouts we enjoy. Feel free to share your most interesting campfire moments, I'll start with my two favorites:

1. Kodiak 2013

One night at Kodiak(don't remember which night, all the fun blends together in my head), we hiked down a trail to find an average-size fire ring with wood already setup and benches surrounding it. The staff put on a fairly elaborate and hilarious skit which ended with one of the adults dropping something(I don't remember for sure, it was probably a match) onto the ground which lit a trail, of what was probably lighter fluid, and led the flame into the fire ring. The wood immediately burst into flames and burned brightly throughout the rest of the campfire. It was both surprising and really cool to watch.

2. Fall Camporee 2013

This was one of three skits that I recall my troop doing, and it was the best by far. There was a disappointing number of only five of us youth who attended this outing, but all five of us participated and made the best of it. We had no idea what we might possibly do for a skit, but the five of us put our heads together created an original skit over the course of about 2 1/2 hours. Three of us went on the "stage" and performed a stand-up comedy routine. Scout No. 1 saying the cheesiest jokes we could come up with, including: "Why couldn't the scout see the bird? Because it was in disguise(pronounced "da-skies", as in "the skies")." Scout No. 2 did several long story-like jokes which I won't take the time to write here. And Scout No. 3(Me) did outdoor/wildlife jokes, such as: "What do you call a fish with no eyes? Fsh." The fourth Scout was in the crowd and at the mid-point of our routine he called out: Where did you get your jokes, a(insert scheduled stutter here) garbage can!? Which the Troop organizing the campfire took as a insult of the skit and one of the adults almost scolded him on-the-spot, it did get a good laugh though. The fifth Scout was carrying a large branch was supposed to chase us three off the stage with the line: "That's enough cheese for one night!" But after a awkward quoting of that line and no chasing, Scout No. 2 initiated a quick save with: "OK, we're done," which came off as fairly funny as we left the stage in an awkward pause before a couple other Scouts starting clapping.

I hope you took the time to read all that, if not, please do, for they are some of my best experiences in Scouts and they were a nice break from setting up tents and hiking. I also hope at least a few of you will keep this going with more stories or maybe some good ideas for future campfires.

This topic is not to be confused with another of the same title: http://www.scouter.com/forum/camping-high-adventure/361548-campfire-program

I was a guest at one Troop who was really into campfire programs. They had a tradition of finding the song the SM disliked the most (American Pie in this case) and some boys would memorize EVERY word, and sing it a cappella. They dedicated it to him and sang it at every campfire. All 8 minutes of it. On occasion they would have a sign language interpreter.

Following this all newcomers were expected to stand on a log and sing a rock song a capella as well. After a verse or two someone would take pity on them and join them.

They also would have the youngest scout do a scary story--which was always unintentionally funny. The difference between what an 11 year old thought was scary and a 16 year old was amusing enough.

We had a Scoutmaster who finished a campfire minute on being wise with your money with this story ( I may missed a few details):

"When I was 19 I was in the Merchant Marine on a freighter. I was a 3rd mate in Engineering and it was my first watch. At the end of my watch it was job to go down to the cabin of the 1st engineers mate and tell him he was to go to the bridge. I went down to his deck and knocked on the door. He said "It's open".

I stepped in to total darkness. All I saw was the red tip of a cigarette he was smoking in the dark. He says:

"Sonny (long draw on cigarette), I've made a lot of money over the years. (another draw) I figure I've spent 1/3rd of it on women and booze..."

"The rest of it I wasted".

• 8 months later...

I'm reopening this old thread to give folks a chance to tell their scary (and otherwise) campfire stories. This is in response to a post in which some moms asked the cubmaster not to tell scary stories anymore due to inability of some of the cubs to sleep well, lol. I struggled with this problem when I was CM as well. So I tried this story:

It's a true story up to a point. I was backpacking in the backcountry of Yellowstone. And as all of you know, I prefer to go solo. This was back when I was in my 20s and natural selection just might have had some beneficial effect if I HAD been 'selected' back then. But I was hiking around Yellowstone Lake and it was a few days into the trip. I smelled pretty ripe. And I guess the bear that was within range must have sensed food because as I rounded a bend, there the bear was. Now I was wearing bear bells so that bear was expecting me and it didn't act surprised.

In fact it immediately started coming toward me. So I immediately started backing away back down the trail. I could see a tree in the distance and a branch low enough that I might be able to reach it and swing right up into it. So I turned and started moving faster and every time I increased speed the bear did the same. I could see that it was closing on me so I sped up as fast as I could and I didn't have time to dump my pack so I was going to have to make the run with it and the bear was closing. I could see that branch and I know if I could make that I had a good chance but the bear was getting a lot closer and I wasn't sure I was going to make it. When I was almost at the tree, the bear was right behind me and I know I only had one very slim chance.

So this is where I end the story. Most of the time, the boys want to know what happened. I lead them on for a while, "you don't really want to know that do you?"

And then I tell them.

"Why of course... the bear ate me!"

And they roll their eyes and go Uhhhhhhhhh!

Most of the time, there's no nightmares.

So I guess I'd better share the ghost story that scared the screaming heebie jeebies out the Cubs then...... Bear in mind that I was first told this on a night hike when I was a student leader by a fellow student friend who is professionally Scottish. What an accent to hear a ghost story in!

A few years ago, on the outskirts of Edinburgh, stood an old house. It had been empty a few years and was a bit of a fixer upper. After laying empty for some time it was finally bought by a young woman in her late 20s. She was a very clever and very driven woman. A lawyer with an Edinburgh law, she wasn't married, had no boy friend and preferred to live alone with her beloved dog.

It was a hot and humid summer day when she moved into the house. Being hot it was already difficult to sleep. As usual her dog slept under her bed and kept her company. After much tossing and turning she finally fell asleep. A few hours later though she woke up to the sound of a drip.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

It was like the sound of a dripping tap and seemed to come from the room underneath. She decided to fix it in the morning. She put her hand the bed to stroke her dog who, as usual, licked her fingers, then she went back to sleep.

A few hours later she woke up again. The dropping tap was still going.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Again she put her hand under the bed, stroked her dog who licked her fingers again. She rolled over and went back to sleep.

A few hours later she woke yet again.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

The summer nights in Scotland are short and already, at 3am, it was getting light. There was no way she could sleep in the heat, and the growing light and that infuriating;

Drip. Drip. Drip.

She walked down the stairs to the kitchen and went to look for the dripping tap. But the tap wasn't dripping. Instead, dripping through the ceiling and onto the floor was dark red blood.

She ran up the stairs to find her beloved dog and get out of the house. To her shock though, under the bed, she found her beloved dog and best friend lying dead and bleeding under the bed.

Dogs. As it turns out. Aren't the only things that lick.......

Sleep well everybody.

Nice story. I hope you are ready to sit up all night by the fire because the kids won't go to bed? :)

The last time I did anything like that was when my partner in crime pulled one on the Cubbies. The boys and I were talking about the gigantic caterpillar that ate young boys instead of leaves. The boys all tried to guess the size of this caterpillar and finally found out when my partner came out from behind the tent in his black mummy bag. Took almost 20 minutes to round up all the boys in the dark.... I'll never do that again. I'm thinking a few of the boys might still be in therapy.

Stosh

lol good thread. My favorite was at a camporee a few years ago, when a Scout stood with a ukelele and did a great rendition of Train's "Hey Soul Sister" which is an excellent singalong song. There were about 200 people singing and I'll never forget that one.

Seen/heard at a recent summer camp....

You need three or four Scouts to do the recitation....and an appropriate "Scouter" to honor...

He named his daughters “Powell “ and “Badenâ€Â….

When he went to Philmont, he gave the Tooth of Time a root canal….

His Scout Law has 14 points….

He is… The Most Interesting Scouter…..

“I do not always go camping, but when I do, I go to ((insert camp name here))“.

“Stay Scouty, my friendâ€Â.

He has a whole Totin, not merely a Chip.

His “Good†Turn is really “Betterâ€Â, and usually “Bestâ€Â.

Do not ask about his … “Bug Juiceâ€Â.

There are never any flies on his table.

You will never know if he “Left No Traceâ€Â.

The Big Dipper points to Him.

His “Bear Bag†really holds one.

He went to “WOOD Badgeâ€Â, not “WON’T Badgeâ€Â.

He hiked the whole of the AT, because he had a cancelation

in his schedule.

When he pitches his tent, it is a “no hitter†.

Someone once asked him what that “Square Knot†on his uniform was,

and he told them.

He has never said, â€Âfollow me boysâ€Â, but they do, anyway.

He is…… The Most Interesting Scouter.

“I do not always go camping, but when I do, I go to ((insert camp name here))â€Â.

“Stay Scouty, my friendâ€Â.

My pleasure, always happy to provide a few stories.....

On campfires more generally they are a big part of the programme in Europe, and not just the UK. I've seen some pretty elaborate ways of starting them, my favourite involving stretching some fishing line into a climeable tree nearby and having someone up there ready to send something burning down the line into the fire to start it. Fantatsic fun!

As for skits I'm a big favourite of the "Expanding machine" where various things get thrown over the top of some kind of barrier, typically a hung up blanket, and get thrown back bigger. Start with a twig, a log comes back, then a pebble and a rock comes back and finally of course someone throws a small cup of water over and gets a bucket full over them in return.

I also love the "World's Uggliest Man". One scout has a blanket over their head and is introduced as a freak so ugly that no one can look at them. A couple of pre planted scouts are selected to look under the blanket. Each of them looks under and runs away screaming. More volunteers are asked for and someone, typically the adult leader in charge, is selected to look under at which point the uggly man runs away screaming. Cheesy I know but I've always loved it.

For songs my favourites are "You'll never get to heaven", "My old man's a lavatory cleaner" and "Oh a layer". Don't know i fyou have those on your side of the pond?

It was a dark and stormy night. We were sitting around the campfire when Pack said Calico, tell us a ghost story. So I did - and it went something like this...

It was a dark and stormy night. The shadow of the leafless tree branches were reaching their gnarled fingers towards us. We were sitting around the campfire when Skeptic said Calico, tell us a ghost story. So I did - and it went something like this...

It was a dark and stormy night. The shadow of the leafless tree branches were reaching their gnarled fingers towards us. In the distance, wolves were howling in response to the howling winds. We were sitting around the campfire when Skip said Calico, tell us a ghost story. So I did - and it went something like this...

It was a dark and stormy night. The shadow of the leafless tree branches were reaching their gnarled fingers towards us. In the distance, wolves were howling in response to the howling winds. Strange noises were coming from the swamp behind the tents. We were sitting around the campfire when Sentinel said Calico, tell us a ghost story. So I did - and it went something like this...

It was a dark and stormy night. The shadow of the leafless tree branches were reaching their gnarled fingers towards us. In the distance, wolves were howling in response to the howling winds. Strange noises were coming from the swamp behind the tents. The birds were silently gathering above our heads and staring down at us with malevolent eyes. We were sitting around the campfire when SSScout said Calico, tell us a ghost story. So I did - and it went something like this...

It was a dark and stormy night. The shadow of the leafless tree branches were reaching their gnarled fingers towards us. In the distance, wolves were howling in response to the howling winds. Strange noises were coming from the swamp behind the tents. The birds were silently gathering above our heads and staring down at us with malevolent eyes. A dense fog was rolling in from the deep woods behind the outhouse. We were sitting around the campfire when Turtle said Calico, tell us a ghost story. So I did - and it went something like this...

It was a dark and stormy night. The shadow of the leafless tree branches were reaching their gnarled fingers towards us. In the distance, wolves were howling in response to the howling winds. Strange noises were coming from the swamp behind the tents. The birds were silently gathering above our heads and staring down at us with malevolent eyes. A dense fog was rolling in from the deep woods behind the outhouse. Mysterious lights were illuminating the clouds from above. We were sitting around the campfire when Eagle said Calico, tell us a ghost story. So I did - and it went something like this...

It was a dark and stormy night. The shadow of the leafless tree branches were reaching their gnarled fingers towards us. In the distance, wolves were howling in response to the howling winds. Strange noises were coming from the swamp behind the tents. The birds were silently gathering above our heads and staring down at us with malevolent eyes. A dense fog was rolling in from the deep woods behind the outhouse. Mysterious lights were illuminating the clouds from above. The odor of decaying flesh was advancing from the box canyon to the north. We were sitting around the campfire when Stosh said Calico, tell us a ghost story. So I did - and it went something like this...

Caspar was a friendly ghost, the friendliest ghost I knew...

• Upvote 1