Our troop has decided on going to Camp Daniel Boone in North Carolina this summer. Glad we decided early this year, because I think they are no longer accepting troops, as they are full. Has anybody else been there? What are some tips that would be helpful?

Perdidochas,

The Troop of which I served as SM, attended Camp Daniel Boone about 10 years ago, for two years. The Scouts loved it. Excellent staff, good facilities, very good program. Of course, there may have been changes since then, but one thing I don't think has changed over the years, is the extremely cold lake. It was almost unusable. After the swim checks Sunday afternoon, most of my Scouts didn't want to go back. The Staff asked us SM's early on to encourage our Scouts to go to the lake, and of course the best way to set the example, is to go yourself. I did. But it was COLD. There are variables each year I'm sure, so maybe someone will speak up who attended this past summer. Maybe they built a pool. I'm interested to hear.

sst3rd

The leader's guide indicates that the lake is still the place to swim, and that it's cold. I have a feeling my youngest son is going to be the only Scout in our troop to regularly swim there :-) He loves swimming, no matter the temp. We have a tradition of doing the mile swim every year, so this one might be challenging.

Thank you for the response.

• 3 months later...
Our troop has decided on going to Camp Daniel Boone in North Carolina this summer. Glad we decided early this year' date=' because I think they are no longer accepting troops, as they are full. Has anybody else been there? What are some tips that would be helpful? [/quote']

Been there twice. Going again this summer. PM me and we can chat to see if we are going at the same time.

The comments above about CDB are spot on. We went in 2007, 2011 and again this year. I know troops that have been in the off years we have not gone and they report the same things as above. I spoke to the Council head when I was there in 2011 and they are very dedicated to keeping that camp at the high level it is. What sells it for me every year are the continued high level of MB programs, safety of the ranges, medical staff, and the first year scout program. They actually have adult training too. And if all that was not enough there are other programs for scouts and adults too. You won't be bored. Unlike other camps, I have never known them to simply cancel an event and leave you with no options but to entertain yourself.

We've been there in the last or next to last sessions every time and that lake is STILL cold despite a hot summer. On that note weather there is cooler than I expected. Times we have been there the highs have been 85F with lows in the 50s. No mosquitoes but there are spiders. Leave the tents open and the the spiders stay away. Close the tents and you have a spider den. ;) Took the boys a few days to figure out that trick.