Oregon: Dramatic close to a campout - a plane crash

Scouts from West Salem’s Boy Scout Troop 150 were packed and ready to leave their camping spot at Marion Lake on Sunday when a single engine Cessna 172B came over the ridge and dropped down over the trees.

Troop leader Matt Matthews said two of the scouts watched as the plane got closer to the water. “One of them said, ‘How is he gonna land that?’ †Matthews said, “and the other said, ‘I think he’s crashing, not landing.’ â€Â

The plane landed in the water, about 200 feet from the shore where the scouts were sitting...

rest of the story and photos here

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20130820/NEWS/308200017/Camping-Boy-Scouts-help-passengers-after-plane-crashes-lake

Scout salute to scouts of Troop 150.

I know that lake. It's just north (maybe northwest) of Three Finger Jack. That country is spectacular. One of my top 5 favorite places of the world is south of there down in the Three Sisters area. You can't find a better region for great hiking and backpacking. That plane was incredibly lucky for 1) finding that spot and landing the way it did, and 2) having the benefit of a scout troop right there. Hand Salute!

Getting that plane out of there is really going to cost someone.