Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Troop bought a used 72 passenger school bus ~4 years ago. The ISD had received money to replace their fleet. Our bus cost between $3500-5000 (depending on who you talk to). A local paint manufacturer donated paint and a tire company donated a set of tires. Insurance is <$1000/yr (it's lumped in with the insurance for the trailers). In the last 3 years we've had to spend $600 in maintenance. We normally get 7 mpg. The troop pays for adults to get their license. We currently have 5 drivers.

72 passenger is only if there are 3 to a seat which never happens. We've had it pretty stuffed going to summer camp with 40 Scouts, 4 adults & 1 driver. The Scout enjoy the experience as the camp out "starts" when we get on the bus - they get to hang out with their friends. Typically pretty loud on the way to a camp out and dead quiet (everyone asleep) on the way back. It is a drawing point to our troop. We've had 2 LONG trips in it. One to Palo Duro canyon (9 hrs) and the other to Galveston (8 hrs). It does get uncomfortable after a while.

My advice - run the numbers - purchase cost, insurance, reasonable maintenance cost, fuel, etc., throw in the intangibles - ease of tour plans, Scout camaraderie, etc. Then decide.

Comment

Well thats what I was Imagining..Buses I am looking at have storage underneath and restrooms

Comment

• King Ding Dong
        King Ding Dong commented
        Editing a comment
        Being SPL sucks.

• Basementdweller
        Basementdweller commented
        Editing a comment
        KDD you have no clue how a troop works does it......

the Patrols would take turns as service and program patrol. The job of cleaning the restrooms would alternate....

But since it is old Texas own personal bus..........I think he probably should clean it himself as he is going to rent it for profit.

• King Ding Dong
        King Ding Dong commented
        Editing a comment
        Joke BD, it was a Joke. See the ? Smile and laugh once in a while, it is good for you.

Who ever draws the Short Straw or get in trouble on the Trip cleans the restroom

Comment

We have movie night.....But it is confined to our lockin christmas party and the council work weekend when we are in council camp cabins.

Sounds like old Tex...is running a Cub Scout Troop.........

So explain to me how you get to boy led with all of the parents and siblings along. How does a lad get his cook for your patrol and buy your food signed off if your buying all the food and doing all of the cooking.

Comment

Originally posted by Basementdweller View Post
          We have movie night.....But it is confined to our lockin christmas party and the council work weekend when we are in council camp cabins.

Sounds like old Tex...is running a Cub Scout Troop.........

So explain to me how you get to boy led with all of the parents and siblings along. How does a lad get his cook for your patrol and buy your food signed off if your buying all the food and doing all of the cooking.
          Because Troop Has 3 Patrols...
          Adults and Guest don't Normally eat with the Scouts
          1 Camp out out of 12 Months

Comment

Sorry I am late to the discussion. I suppose there are some parts of U.S. where a large long haul vehicle would be easier but yeah the economics will be very hard to work for most people. (and I used to be in the transit business). In transit the reason for larger buses is that the major cost driver is the salary and benefits of the driver not so much the hardware. That is why it is often cheaper to operate one large bus even if it is not full over two smaller buses. With adult scout drivers volunteering I do not see as much of an advantage. But obviously if you get things cheap enough and you have expert helpers it could work for a few individuals. But once someone leaves the Troop it might leave the Troop with a burden IMHO. My main objection is that it easier to get into a lot of places with smaller vehicles (even a 15-16 passenger bus) than a big boy. I think once you use the bigger one you start limiting yourself.

Comment

• FrankScout
              FrankScout commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree TT. 15 passenger vans are a much better option all around from a cost and driver licensing standpoint. (Class C license as opposed to a Class A or B).
          Working...
          X