I will be taking my Webelos on their first, and probably only, camping trip without a parent along, and I'm wondering how to work out the sleeping arrangements. I will have up to 7 boys going, and there is not enough room at the site for each boy to have his own tent. If I left it strictly up to the boys, I would have 5 boys who all get along and would all want to share a tent and 2 that are left out. I don't think it is a good idea to bunk the 2 left-out boys together because they both have very different behavior issues that won't mesh well together in a confined space. How do you work out sleeping arrangements on a campout without hurting people's feelings and without making some of the boys miserable?

A five man tent easily sleeps 7 Webelos. Or, use smaller tents that only hold 2-3 Webelos. In general, I ask adults to be at the ready to bunk wih their behavioral disorder kids.

• Downvote 1

GTSS A Webelos Scout may participate in overnight den camping when supervised by an adult. In most cases, the Webelos Scout will be under the supervision of his parent or guardian. It is essential that each Webelos Scout be under the supervision of a parent-approved adult. Joint Webelos den/troop campouts including the parents of the Webelos Scouts are encouraged to strengthen ties between the pack and troop. Den leaders, pack leaders, and parents are expected to accompany the boys on approved trips. So they way I read this is the parents are not required on a den campout, but are on a den/troop campout. Or is it only encouraged ? If the two will really make the others miserable then separate. I would also suggest having the parents along of those boys, maybe at a distance if independence is your goal. If you have problems with them they cannot sleep in your tent.

Discipline issues increase exponentially with the number of kids in a tent. With a whole patrol or den in one tent SOMEBODY is always awake yacking.

Our patrols have several two-man tents and one three-man, just to accommodate an odd number. But even with odd numbers, we very rarely have three guys in the three-man tents. Usually someone sleeps solo. But that's Boy Scouts.

Divide and conquer. I would suggest putting the guys two to a tent with the odd guys in separate tents. Webelos may or may not want to tent solo, so put three together or let the single guy tent with a parent.

I had a backyard campout when my youngest son was a Webelos Scout. Decided to bunk all 7 in one tent, 10x12. MISTAKE! Most wanted to be quiet and sleep, but 2 wanted to cause trouble, and there was not quiet until almost 2 am. Other than the getting-to-sleep part all went well, but if I have another campout with my current Webelos Den, I'll separate them for sure!

I agree with two, no more than three in a tent. Everyone will sleep better!

However, several years ago, I had a large group of scouts (about 50) up at the Bruce Peninsula in Ontario. We were short of tents, but had a 6 man, adult tent available. We had a real good group of 2nd year Webelos with us. I was not their Den Leader, but had camp with all of them before. I did not think I would have any trouble with any of them. After threating them with death, if they were not quiet, I put 5 of them in the one large tent.

They spend 3 nights together, and had a great time. They were also, very good about being quiet at night. They are all going into11 the grader now, and still talk about the good time they had together, when they were Webelos.

This is what I did. Every boy listed 2 boys on a sticky note that he would like to tent with. And we have a discussion about treating everyone well. (one of our den norms). The discussion went like this, "you will get to tent with at least one of your guys on the sticky. No 'celebrating' when you hear who you get, 'be cool'. You may be also in the tent with someone who is not your best friend, that is okay too because getting along with other guys is one of the things scouts is about and I am so proud of how you all do that." Also there is a talk about "adults are in charge and if a tent combination is not working -- going to sleep or whatever there might be a change".

Then as an adult decision we organized the tents with the best combinations for the den as a whole. Each boy was with at least one of his buds. (I suggest a 3 and 4 combination in your case, but a 3, 2, 2 combination might work based on what is on the cards.) At camp after the tents are all set up have each tent have an "open house" for each other so they don't feel excluded. Take an extra 2 person in case you need to make a change.

Hope that helps

Or..... tell the boys that after dark, they have to be really quiet or the adults won't be able to hear the bears come into camp until it's too late.

Always works for me. :)

Or..... tell the boys that after dark, they have to be really quiet or the adults won't be able to hear the bears come into camp until it's too late.

The bear trick works real well up until about Webelos, after that they kind of know there are no more bears around here anymore. Copperheads and water moccasins still work.

One just has to go about it in the right manner. A little "evidence" goes a long way. I had two senior scouts (16-17 yr olds) totally convinced here was "something under their tent." It was fun watching them try and convince an irate SM at 1:00 am. :)

A little contrived credibility helps too. Had a large snapping turtle clean off our fishing stringer we left in the water by the canoes. I just happened to see it. I retrieved the stringer and held up a stringer full of fish heads and asked if any of the boys saw the bear that did that? Heck, everyone knows bears eat fish. You just don't tell them that turtles do too. :) Webelos aged? Heck no! Even the adults swallowed that one.

GTSS A Webelos Scout may participate in overnight den camping when supervised by an adult. In most cases, the Webelos Scout will be under the supervision of his parent or guardian. It is essential that each Webelos Scout be under the supervision of a parent-approved adult. Joint Webelos den/troop campouts including the parents of the Webelos Scouts are encouraged to strengthen ties between the pack and troop. Den leaders, pack leaders, and parents are expected to accompany the boys on approved trips. So they way I read this is the parents are not required on a den campout, but are on a den/troop campout. Or is it only encouraged ? If the two will really make the others miserable then separate. I would also suggest having the parents along of those boys, maybe at a distance if independence is your goal. If you have problems with them they cannot sleep in your tent.
No where does it say a parent is required.....Another made up rule.

Each boy must have an adult who is responsible for them......That is what is written. I take large groups of webelos, 10-15 to summer resident camp every year with the DL, myself and SPL......Never once has the camp batted an eye about it.

I would take smaller tents and back the boys sleep in pairs...... Because 5 boys in a single tent you will never get any sleep.

I never lie to my scouts......Just tell them it is 10pm or 11pm and it is quiet hours at camp.

If you run a camp right they will be exhausted and ready for bed.

I commend you Basement. A lot of folks think these little fibs all in fun are harmless..... usually are.... but a lie is still a lie.

Lies? Over all the years I have never been the first one to see the bear in camp. The extra vigilance inspired by such "jokes" has always made the task of keeping scents out of tents, cleanliness around camp, bear bags hung HIGH, etc. along with not having to be the only one that sleeps with one eye open. If the worst case scenario is suggested, then the lesser issues get taken care of at the same time.

I've tried it both ways and when the raccoons raid the food sitting out, that can destroy a trek faster than anything else. Mice eating through backpacks, etc. have always taken their toll on the boys. If one instills the concern over bears, the mice and raccoons don't have a chance either.

These boys are in an environment that they normally don't experience. This isn't Mom telling the boys to turn off the TV/Computer and go to bed, it's 10:00 pm.

If raccoons are going to raid your camp, they will do it within a half hour of everyone going into their tents. If the boys continue to make noise, one will never hear them raiding the pantry.... until it's too late. These critters aren't stupid. They know how it works.

We practice a clean camp. No food in tents and all food secure except during meal time. All trash is secure

Every scout camp is loaded with all sorts of mini bears....coons skunks, possums wood rats, mice.....

Ya we have visitors, but they just move on because there is nothing to eat.

I don't feel the need to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I speak plainly to my scouts....

it is 10pm camp rules say it is quiet hour....get in your tents. They whine a bit, but hey head in.....on occasion there is a card game magic or poker or rummy in the tents.....Bonding......Brotherhood.....It is good......

'